Book printing layout and formatting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Book printing layout and formatting

Checking with the Reunion family for advice.

To utilize the typical paper book format (8.5" x 5.5") which is an standard US letter paper size folded in half; i'm having difficulty in printing the book in Reunion to conform to that size format.

The book report in reunion produces a PDF output for printing. Using the PDF file doesn't allow for any degree of flexibility for changing paper sizes and the like. It does allow for printing in booklet format which makes for a nice job of printing on both sides and arranging the output in the correct orentation and page sequence.

The issue I have is the abundance of white space that results on top and bottom of the pages. Obviously these are ratio matters-of-fact that cannot be changed. The 8.5" edge is reduced by 64.7% to fit the 5.5" size. This leaves nearly 1.5" of extra white space besides the typical top and bottom margins set in Reunion book settings.

I was wondering if anybody else has developed a solution to this conundrum? Is there a method by selecting a paper size in the Reunion book creation options or some other creative method to utilize the book format to eliminate the white space.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
    Hayward...
    Mac Studio, A1 Max, 64GB memory, Sonoma 14.2.1

Re: Book printing layout and formatting

Originally posted by HJKeats View Post
    Checking with the Reunion family for advice.

To utilize the typical paper book format (8.5" x 5.5") which is an standard US letter paper size folded in half; i'm having difficulty in printing the book in Reunion to conform to that size format.
    Until now, I haven't tried to develop a book, so I just took the defaults to see what would come out. I didn't come across a way to select paper size, so this idea probably belongs in the "Wish List" bucket. However, if one could select A4 paper (8.3 x 11.7), lots of possibilities are available. Each size in the "A" series of paper sizes, A0 through A8, is obtained by folding the next larger size in half. Two A5 pages (8.3 x 5.8) fit side-by-side on a sheet of A4. A4 paper is readily available, and most printer trays can be adjusted to handle it.

The "A" series: http://www.papersizes.org/a-paper-sizes.htm

Joe

Comment

With your book project open in Reunion's book project window, click on the Book Settings icon (the gear icon at the bottom of the window.) Select the Document tab in the window that appears.

From there, you can set the page size and margins.
      Gregg Witmer
      Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not sure if they fully answer my question and I assume there is not straight forward answer.

I only have access to 8 1/2 x 11 paper. Taking a 8 1/2 x 11 sheet and cutting it in two you get the typical paperback type of book. The somewhat un-orthodox proportions of the sheet does not afford for good usable reductions. The 64.7% reduction to make the short edge fit; when you apply that to the long edge you get 7.12" on a the 8" side.

I have since reduced the top and bottom margin's in the book settings to the absolute minimum. It has made for lessening the visual appearance of white space, but still not ideal.

I love the book feature, so I'm happy with what the Reunion folk has made available to date.
        Hayward...
        Mac Studio, A1 Max, 64GB memory, Sonoma 14.2.1

Comment

Working...
        X