Gedcom preparation for TNG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gedcom preparation for TNG

I am contemplating using TNG as a structure for a family history website. Most of my research points me to very carefully preparing the gedcom file before importing into TNG.

Could those of you who have or are using TNG for their websites share what should be done to prepare my Reunion data for a relatively clean gedcom - hopefully one that will present only a minimum of challenges once it is published.

Thanks in advance,
    Last edited by darillyn; 04 May 2018, 09:16 AM. Reason: copying to place in Reunion Talk/Reunion 12

Re: Gedcom preparation for TNG

I didn't do anything and I do nothing when I update it either. It's not pretty but that's because I don't know how to use TNG, I got the author to set it up for me because it appears to me deeply mysterious and complicated!
    http://genealogy.jvans.co.uk/intro.html.

Jamie
    Last edited by Barnbarroch; 17 September 2018, 01:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by darillyn View Post
      I am contemplating using TNG as a structure for a family history website. Most of my research points me to very carefully preparing the gedcom file before importing into TNG.

Could those of you who have or are using TNG for their websites share what should be done to prepare my Reunion data for a relatively clean gedcom - hopefully one that will present only a minimum of challenges once it is published.
      I have been using Reunion with TNG for a looooong time - probably around 17 years or so.

I don't do anything special to prepare the GEDCOM file for TNG - I just create it, exporting everything from Reunion.

Things I did before this was to go through all of the Custom Fields I had added - Notes, Events and Facts, and make sure that they each were represented by a unique GEDCOM tag that started with _ if it was a tag I had created.

Then Export the GEDCOM file from Reunion.

On the TNG end:

Import the GEDCOM file - you can either import it using the setting to only import Custom Events, or import the entire file.

Go to TNG Admin ------> Custom Event Types and look at that list. For each GEDCOM tag that is listed there, Edit it so that there's a sensible "Display" and the "On Import" is set to Accept for all the events/facts/notes (TNG calls all of them Custom Events) that you want to display, and to Ignore for all those you don't want to display. (See screen shot)

Once you've got all these set as you want, import the GEDCOM file again.

Roger
      Attached Files
      Roger Moffat
      http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
      http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

We are pretty careful about privacy. TNG and Reunion both do a pretty good job of privatizing, but we've wanted to be able to say that our TNG site doesn't contain anyone born after 1940 as a backstop to their privatizing. So we run a FIND in Reunion to mark all records for people born before 1940 or who have blank birthdates and then export the GEDCOM with only those marked records. You have to be careful tho, since Reunion will export an unmarked spouse if the other spouse is marked.

Otherwise, we use only the basic fields (Misc Notes, Birth, Death, Marriage, etc.) so there isn't a problem in mapping between Reunion and TNG. I don't attempt to automatically map photos although I know others have done that successfully by setting up the folders appropriately. I just add photos on TNG manually.

Comment

Working...
        X