Moving Families

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving Families

I'm still using R10, and I've got a problem that I'm somewhat hesitant to try to resolve by blindly moving people and families around.

I've got one person in two separate sections of the family tree. In one part, I have all her descendants, and in the other I've got all her ancestors.

How would I go about moving either the descendants or the ancestors to end up with just one, bigger, line? The thought of having to reenter all that information gives me the creepies. I did try looking through the Help section, but nothing seemed to describe my situation.

I will appreciate any help that anyone offers.

Re: Moving Families

Originally posted by Bucky MacConaghy View Post
    I'm still using R10, and I've got a problem that I'm somewhat hesitant to try to resolve by blindly moving people and families around.

I've got one person in two separate sections of the family tree. In one part, I have all her descendants, and in the other I've got all her ancestors.

How would I go about moving either the descendants or the ancestors to end up with just one, bigger, line? The thought of having to reenter all that information gives me the creepies. I did try looking through the Help section, but nothing seemed to describe my situation.

I will appreciate any help that anyone offers.
    This isn't a big problem at all. You have two instances of this person. Let's call her Janet. You have Janet-one, with all her ancestors, and you have Janet-two, with all her descendants.

You don't have to move anyone, you need to merge Janet-one with Janet-two.

So:
    [1] unmark everyone in the file
    [2] mark Janet-one and Janet-two
    [3] from the menus, select File -> Match and Merge People...
    [4] set Find matches for... to "Marked people"
    [5] set Compare with... to "Marked people"
    [6] click find matches.

After that it's pretty self-explanatory.

(These are R11 directions, but they are either identical or substantially similar to R10.)

You can search in help for "Match & merge" for further info.

(There are other ways to merge Janet-one and Janet-two, but I wasn't sure they would work in R10)
    Dennis J. Cunniff
    Click here to email me

Comment

Working...
    X