Surname Assumed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surname Assumed

At age 18 my father assumed the name of his stepfather and was known by that surname the rest of his life, consequently my legal and biological surname is not my geneological surname. Is there a method to show this, or can I enter him as adopted with a note explaining the difference?

Re: Surname Assumed

Originally posted by William F Harley View Post
    At age 18 my father assumed the name of his stepfather and was known by that surname the rest of his life, consequently my legal and biological surname is not my geneological surname. Is there a method to show this, or can I enter him as adopted with a note explaining the difference?
    You can show this in lots of different ways, you just have to pick one to use.

I would enter your father as a child of his biological family, enter his last name as "Smith, later Harley" and record in his misc. note that he took the name of his step-father in 1945.

You can also add a copy of his child button to the family of his stepfather and his mother, but I tend not to do so unless there was a legal adoption.
    Dennis J. Cunniff
    Click here to email me

Comment

Re: Surname Assumed

Originally posted by William F Harley View Post
      See Name Changes and Multiple Last Names
      Personally I use step #2:

Use square brackets for actual name changes, entered in the order that the names were in usage, with the less used name in brackets and the primary name unadorned - for example, "[Clark] Black" indicates someone who was born a Clark, but went by Black most of his life, such as a child who took on their stepfather's surname when their mother remarried, whereas "Walters [Orbison]" would indicate someone who went by Walters most of his life, but switched to Orbison late in life.

Comment

Working...
      X