Source Field Updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Source Field Updates

So, I added two fields to a source type and now want to update that on all uses of that source type. Does this need to be done manually or is there a way to update it automatically??

Re: Source Field Updates

Originally posted by Mark C Munro View Post
    So, I added two fields to a source type and now want to update that on all uses of that source type. Does this need to be done manually or is there a way to update it automatically??
    You need to do it manually.
    Dennis J. Cunniff
    Click here to email me

Comment

Updating additional source fields is a real pain. In my case using Automator has been the most appropriate way to set up a macro - use a Workflow - data to be pasted on the clipboard - start with 'Wait for an action' - then use 'Watch me do' i.e. in this case simply use the record button. A single user click will then run through each Source but note you will have to repeat the single click on each of your updates. At least you avoid the repetitive series of clicks and selections required by hands on!

Dave
      Last edited by David Walton; 08 February 2017, 04:20 AM. Reason: 'Watch me do' same as using record
      Dave Walton
      Tree - Walton, Haggerston, Chambers, Munro, Haught, Schlager, Scannell...
      iMac M1, Macbook Air M2, MacOS Ventura 13.2, Reunion 13

Comment

Might be the trick of Roger Muffat is useful
        Frans van Bodegom
        Reunion NL Support Team

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into the Automator trick, I would be curious to hear more details...Also the last "trick" suggestions might be great too.

A larger part of the problem is that I have to now move one field value and parse out another into three.

If anyone from Reunion staff sees this, I remember years back in the forum the question of why no AppleScript support in Reunion came up and the staff said "what on earth would you use it for." As an AppleScript developer, I can tell you that there are dozens and maybe hundreds of different things I do manually that I would love to be able to automate with native scripting support..... and THIS is one of them. IF ever your development team thinks of adding an AppleScript dictionary to the app, I am available to provide lots of suggestions on this topic.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into the Automator trick, I would be curious to hear more details...Also the last "trick" suggestions might be great too.

A larger part of the problem is that I have to now move one field value and parse out another into three.

If anyone from Reunion staff sees this, I remember years back in the forum the question of why no AppleScript support in Reunion came up and the staff said "what on earth would you use it for." As an AppleScript developer, I can tell you that there are dozens and maybe hundreds of different things I do manually that I would love to be able to automate with native scripting support..... and THIS is one of them. IF ever your development team thinks of adding an AppleScript dictionary to the app, I am available to provide lots of suggestions on this topic.
            In more detail:
            Taking Roger Moffat’s change the source type to a.n.other then back to the original forcing an update and noting that a Macro is useful only if the time spent writing it is worth the effort, around 5 minutes in this case then with Automator:

This is UI scripting by another name and can be unpredictable in outcome - make a backup.
            Before using ‘Record’ make sure that you run through the workflow.

1. Open the Sources pane and apply the appropriate type filter.
            2. Apply a sort so that your target update sources are at top of the list.
            3. Double Click on the source in row 1 opening a Source window.
            4. Move that window to a convenient place on the desktop avoiding the bottom screen edge i.e. you don’t want the Source Type dropdown opening to overlap the bottom screen edge.
            5. Open Automator and choose new Workflow.
            6. Drag and drop ‘Wait for User Action’ to the right hand side workflow window.
            7. Click ‘Record’ and with smooth, continuous movements of your pointer:
            Click on Source Type - opening the dropdown.
            Make selection of a.n.other type.
            Click on Source Type - opening the dropdown.
            Select the original type.
            Click on the ‘Done’ button.
            Move the pointer to a convenient parking position.
            Click ‘Stop’ to halt recording.
            8. With an open Source edit window then run your workflow at 1x.
            9. If you were not smooth/precise in your pointer movement, the pointer rested outside the dropdown… you will see an error at this point. Delete the 'Record' section and repeat 'Record' until it works.
            10 . When working OK then use 10x playback.
            11. Typical duration for this workflow around 3 - 4 seconds. My best was 1.3 seconds.

Dave
            Dave Walton
            Tree - Walton, Haggerston, Chambers, Munro, Haught, Schlager, Scannell...
            iMac M1, Macbook Air M2, MacOS Ventura 13.2, Reunion 13

Comment

Working...
            X