Android alternatives?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Android alternatives?

Long time user of Apple products and the Reunion apps. I am sticking with Apple laptops (and Reunion) but switching my phone to Android. The one app I can't replace is the mobile version of Reunion! I didn't realize how great it was until I started looking for alternatives.

All I want it a mobile app that will read my gedcom file and display it for reference. I don't care about fancy features or even viewing trees. But I do absolutely need birthdays and people's current ages listed. I've tried a few apps and no one seems to offer ages. I have a big family and I'm not good at remembering how old people are.

If I can't find this I might keep carrying two phones, absurd as that would be. Would appreciate any tips.
    Beth

Re: Android alternatives?

A less expensive solution, while still needing two devices, is to buy a used iPad. It will run Filemaker and VoodooPad and you can access TNG as long as you have an Internet connection. Just make sure the iPad is new enough to run ReunionTouch also.

BTW, I predict you will eventually return to the iPhone. It is very inconvenient to coordinate basics like contacts and calendars between two platforms.
    Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
    Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
    iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Thanks. Yes, I do have an iPad. But I don't carry it every day, and often don't take it on vacations because I travel very light.

Over years of using an iPhone, I have always maintained the Google calendar rather than Apple's, and my contacts are also in a cross-platform app that works on iOS, Android and both desktops. So I don't see that being an issue.

Oh, and I just realized my signature is horribly out of date! I need to fix it. Not keeping my info in TNG as of now, but I intend to go back to it. That should help in terms of accessing family info.
      Last edited by bchaplin; 26 November 2016, 04:01 PM.
      Beth

Comment

Originally posted by bchaplin View Post
        Long time user of Apple products and the Reunion apps. I am sticking with Apple laptops (and Reunion) but switching my phone to Android. The one app I can't replace is the mobile version of Reunion! I didn't realize how great it was until I started looking for alternatives.

All I want it a mobile app that will read my gedcom file and display it for reference. I don't care about fancy features or even viewing trees. But I do absolutely need birthdays and people's current ages listed. I've tried a few apps and no one seems to offer ages. I have a big family and I'm not good at remembering how old people are.

If I can't find this I might keep carrying two phones, absurd as that would be. Would appreciate any tips.
        I found myself in basically the same boat as you. Here is my solution:

From my Mac, using Reunion, I Export a GEDCOM file in the default format.

I put that file in a Dropbox folder. (If you don't have Dropbox, you can use it for free with a limited amount of space which is more than adequate for basic use.)

After Installing the Android app, "FamilyGTD" I opened FamilyGTD on my Android, and the app asks if you want to download a sample family file or load one from your device. I choose to load one from my device.

I select my GEDCOM file in my Dropbox folder, and FamilyGTD imports everything.

If I make changes to my Reunion family file, I simply export a new GEDCOM, and load that new export the next time I access Family GTD on my Android.

I hope I've explained the procedure clearly. If you have any questions or comments, please be sure to let me know.

Comment

Working...
        X