Reunion and Ancestry.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reunion and Ancestry.com

I'd used Reunion for years, but in terms in researching and building out my tree, it's far easier to construct the tree on Ancestry.com because of ease of attaching sources and media to multiple people.

Now that I'm traveling to Ireland and must worry about data usage on my iPad, I'd prefer access to my tree not depend upon WiFi. So, I downloaded the GEDCOM and successfully imported it into Reunion 11.

Now, for the tricky part.

Is there ANY way of updating new Ancestry.com information into my Reunion database WITHOUT another full export? I've noticed that, when I wish to import a GEDCOM into Reunion, I get a message cautioning me to start a clean file. This just isn't always practical ... especially when the exported GEDCOM doesn't contain linked photos and documents.

So, it's a quandry ... thoughts?

Re: Reunion and Ancestry.com

I too have tried to avoid double data entry by importing Gedcom files of small branches. I've tried it into both Reunion and Ancestry. In both cases I tried to have either no one, or just one individual or couple who were duplicated in the Gedcom and existing tree. After the import, I would either link the island to the main tree, or merge the individual or couple.

Gedcom imports into Reunion always seemed to go well. Imports into Ancestry went well all but once. I also run Family Tree Maker as a backup only for my Ancestry tree. That once may have been the reason I ended up with synch difficulties between FTM and Ancestry, possibly resulting in a corrupted file I could no longer synch. Easy solution was to download my Ancestry tree into FTM again. This was not a problem for me, as the home FTM file is just a backup, not my primary workspace. The episode made me wary though of importing Gedcom branches, however small or large, into Ancestry (or FTM).

With good recent backups, etc, you may wish to try it into Reunion.
    Just my experience, so hope it helps.
    Last edited by John Meara; 21 February 2017, 12:05 AM.
    John in Brisbane, Australia
    Reunion 12 & FTM on iMac, with Reunion & Ancestry on iPad & iPhone
    Ancestry ID: johnmeara1
    GEDmatch: A369974 & Admin for T578930, T249754, A943304, A193103, T826422

Comment

Working...
    X