ReunionTalk  
Go Back   ReunionTalk > Genealogy

Old 12 June 2017, 05:08 PM
Kim

Default Re: Scan& & Archive original documents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Talibard View Post
The naming systems described by Bob and Don work for them, and I’m sure they are not going to change that now. So I will express my misgivings about their methods not to argue with them, but for those who may be reading this exchange of views early enough in the process that they are still choosing how to proceed.

Bob and Don seem to rely primarily on a system of naming files that one might call ‘surname-plus-extras’. The problem for me is that this misdescribes a large proportion of the files. It’s OK for a photo of one individual and maybe a birth record (ignoring the mother) but a group photo, a page of census, a marriage record, a trade directory, geographical locations and many others relate to multiple surnames or none, and it must often be a rather arbitrary choice which one to go with.

As I said in my previous post, I really think one must also have a system of folders, and my approach centres on that. I start by asking myself, what sort of thing is this? A newspaper clipping, a census page and a marriage certificate do not all belong in the same folder. It would be like mixing socks and shirts in the same drawer. Within each folder I then choose the locally most appropriate system of filenames. My people photos, and a few other things, are named and sub-foldered by surname, and there have been tricky choices to make in there, so I would not want to extend that problem any more widely.

I am astonished that Bob, whose advice on other matters I have often found so valuable, does not link his documents with Reunion. Why throw away such a valuable tool? I can read through what I have on person X, and the little red numbers keep saying “and this is how we know that bit.” Wonderful! And of course those multi-surname items, however you may have named and pigeon-holed them, can be linked to each and every relevant person.
My system is very much like yours....with a bit of Bob's. I name my files by surname.
SURNAME_givenname_obit.jpg or SURNAME1-SURNAME2_marriage.pdf. But like you, to me it makes sense to keep all marriage records in one folder, all obits in another. I do have 8 main folders though, for each of my major surnames, and each have a set of subfolders by type.

I have a separate folder for Census images, with subfolder by year. Those get named with year_surname1_givenname-surname2_givenname.jpg for each head of household.

And then I link them all in Reunion, because I like the convenience of clicking on a source and being able to open the image. Yes, it might get detached at some point, but it's worked for me for over a decade. And if ever it doesn't, the images are organized in folders on my hard drive.

I think it's interesting that what works best for one, doesn't work at all for another.....and that's ok!

http://familytreesandbranches.weebly.com
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.....com/~ilrootz/
Old 12 June 2017, 05:34 PM

If I'm understanding the issue, I think I'm the odd person out (if most of the folks use a surname-based naming system for digital records). I've got too many documents that refer to multiple folks, for one thing. I've taken what I suspect is the information-oriented route (being a retired information scientist). I name/file my hard copy and scans/downloads by the type and year or content of document (with a personal name attached for things like WWI registration cards, wills, etc). Census records and group photos are the major challenge because they can contain many different families/persons.

The digital versions and one hard copy (on acid-free paper, in an archival page holder) are stored by type (e.g.US census by state, English marriage records, directory entries, passenger lists, obituaries, genealogical correspondence) and given an appropriate alpha-numeric sequence number (e.g. 1920 US census OR-0052). I try to avoid the type/token problem--like 3 families on the same census page --by giving the scanned page/photo the ID number and each family's household/line number specification in the details. Similarly a group photo of the "5 Barker Brothers" or the "10 members of the Morris Family" would have an ID number for that photo/scan and a pointer to the photo in each person's Reunion record).

If I want to see a full list of everything I have on a person in Reunion, I pull up the family group sheet and look at the source references. If I want to see the physical collection, I pull the hanging file for that family (separate folders for census records, vital records, etc). These family focused hard copies are repeated for each distinct family-level occurrence (copies of the same census record for each family/census year, for instance). I've been doing this for about 15 years now and the alpha-numeric item-numbering and filing systems are holding up well (except for storage space 8-) ).

I have never tried to link scans/digital images to my Reunion records--I rely on pointers. One of these days I may try to get some stuff online in a more public forum and then supply some photos, census scans, etc but I'm still drowning in data after 15 years of doing this.

Researching BARKER, FESSLER, KENEIPP, MCCAIN, MORRIS, MONTGOMERY, RAIFORD, WOOTTON,
Old 12 June 2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
As I said in my previous post, I really think one must also have a system of folders, and my approach centres on that. I start by asking myself, what sort of thing is this? A newspaper clipping, a census page and a marriage certificate do not all belong in the same folder. It would be like mixing socks and shirts in the same drawer. Within each folder I then choose the locally most appropriate system of filenames. My people photos, and a few other things, are named and sub-foldered by surname, and there have been tricky choices to make in there, so I would not want to extend that problem any more widely.
I too think much like Michael. Before I started doing research I decided to think through what I wanted to accomplish with sources. I determined my main goals were 1) not create duplicates 2) have a system that was easy to maintain as documents were added 3) pointed me to the primary family group the document involved. The text below is from a document I keep with all my paper documents. It is quite verbose. The simple description is that every source is named with the type of document followed by the next serial number available followed by the family name most represented in the source (sometimes I put two). For example "VBI0001 Brown" is a vital record-birth certificate for a person with the Brown surname. This would be the electronic file name and would appear somewhere on the paper copy or it's holder.

I let reunion do the duplicating. It was not a priority that I could look at my paper documents and assemble a person/family's documents quickly. It does mean that if I lose reunion, I have lost all the connections. I foresee printing my research to paper family and person sheets for donation to the local historical society. The source list will serve as a cross-reference to the paper binders.

For those that are analytical about their filing, this may be the most optimized for storage.

All documents belong to one of five binder categories. These are Government, Miscellaneous, Newspaper, Photograph, and Vital Records. Within each of these are subfolders that consist of a 3 character name. The first letter is the first letter of the Folder that the section is in. The remaining 2 characters are taken from the document type in the section.

Government sections
GCE Census Records
GCO Court case records
GIM Immigration/Passport
GLI License-Permit
GMI Military
GNA Naturalization
GOT Other Documents
GPR Probate Records
GSS Social Security Records
GTA Tax Records

Miscellaneous sections
MBI Birth & Baptism
MBU Funeral-Burial info
MGR Gravestone Markers
MIN Interviews
MLE Letters-Correspondence
MMA Maps-Locations
MMI Miscellaneous Documents
MSC School Records
MWE Wedding

Newspaper sections
NAR Articles
NBI Birth Notice
NDI Divorce Announcement
NOB Obituaries
NPN Public Notice
NWE Wedding Announcement

Photograph sections
POB Photograph Object
PPF Photograph Family/Group
PPI Photograph Individual
PPP Photograph Places

Vital Records section
VAD Adoption Records
VBI Birth Certificates
VDE Death Certificates
VDI Divorce Decree
VMA Marriage License

Document ID Numbers:
All documents will be numbered uniquely with a format “FSS####-##”. A label will contain an optional Surname following the ID to give a quick reference to the main family referenced in the document. Electronic files will use the following naming convention “FSS####-## Surname.Type”

FSS The three letter Section abbreviation which the document will be filed in

#### Numbered consecutively within a section. All leading zeros are used (i.e. 0001 for the first document in a section)

-## Any variant of the main document. This could be a magnified photocopy section of the document or a manipulated electronic file, such as applying a filter with a Photo editing program.

Surname The Surname of the most significant family within a document. This can be very confusing for group photos, place documents (maps), and legal transactions. This is only a guide and is not to be used to infer the total contents of a document. The surname can also be free format text up to the 31 character limit of the MacOS as long as all other format areas are included in the document name.

.Type All files should have a cross platform format (jpg or tiff for photos, pdf or txt for text documents, etc). All files should include a “.type” extension so the files can be properly opened on a computer.

Filing Practices:
A physical label will be attached to a paper copy of the document and filed in the appropriate binder. There should be both a paper and electronic copy of all documents.

Leister Reunion assigns a source #. The source text will contain a note as to whether a copy of the source is owned by Vincent Salupo and the document ID number, FSS####-## (not the electronic name).

Physical Files
A physical binder will hold all documents, original and duplicated. The binders will be spine labeled with the 3 digit FSS code or range of codes within. Any oversized documents will be stored in appropriate protective binder/portfolio/storage container. A photo or size appropriate replica will be stored in regular binders with a note to the location of the oversize version.
Old 12 June 2017, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyril jones View Post
I have a massive collection of hard copy documents related to family history. I intend scanning these documents and archiving them. Google Drive has been recommended for this project. I'm looking for advice on how to set up such a searchable database and any other tips before I start. It would also be good if they could somehow be linked to Reunion.
I save every reference as a jpg or pdf file, usually using the file name assigned by the Mac during the saving process, sometimes adding a name, or a keyword. The file names are not organized in any fashion, they just list alphabetically in one folder, all 3700 of them, which is backed up and available to me. I often check details in the original files to explore discrepancies in information, ensuring that the discrepancy is not due to my human error in data entry. The file names can be searched by keyword.

I find my reference files quickly because each file name is recorded in the source, using the field "File Name". Every photograph is accompanied by a source in Reunion. I omitted the field "File Name" from the printed source, so that it does not show in printed materials. The "File Name" would be useless to anyone who has no access to my specific saved reference files.
Old 14 June 2017, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Milne View Post
Michael, I am in the process of scanning my deceased parents photographs and would be very interested to learn how you organise your filing system for group photographs.
Thanks
Maybe better to invent a system that suits you, but since you ask, I attach an image that will give you the general idea of what I do, plus a larger version of the middle of that, for clarity. If you want it explained, that might be rather long to post here, so email me on
michael[at sign]talibard[dot]com
Group photos are always the difficulty, and in a few cases, reluctantly, I duplicate them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Folder System.jpg (18.9 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Centre.jpg (54.0 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by Michael Talibard; 14 June 2017 at 12:57 PM.
Old 14 June 2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
but a group photo, a page of census, a marriage record, a trade directory, geographical locations and many others relate to multiple surnames or none, and it must often be a rather arbitrary choice which one to go with.
Generally, in practice, there is an obvious SURNAMEgivenname to go with each of these examples. The head of household in a census, the husband in a marriage record, etc. And in the rare cases where there isn't an obvious "dominate" person, you can easily duplicate the record/image and cross-file it if needs be.

I don't link media in Reunion for the reasons I gave in my post. I have no assurance that those linkages will persist if I have to change programs at some point and, more importantly, when I share my genealogy with other members of my family, those on Windows won't be able to run Reunion now, and in the distant future (20 years or more?) it's unlikely Reunion will still be around - or, if it is, that it will be able to reach back in time and convert it's 20 year old files. I got burned by that when I had my 1995 book on my Worth family in a page layout program that went defunct.

I can see going to the trouble of linking media in Reunion if you want another, faster, more convenient way to find things. And to support the cross-tagging to various individuals I mentioned earlier. However, I think it's important to have a filing system that can stand on it's own as well. I haven't bothered to link in Reunion because my "keep it simple" filing system based on sorting by file name has worked for me to find things quickly in most cases anyway.

The main reason I file by family line first (rather than by record type) is that I want to be able to easily sub-set my records for cousins. They are not interested in seeing every census record I have - only the ones that apply to a particular great-grandparent's lines. After that, I would like to sort by chronology rather than record type in any case.

That said, filing systems are like genealogy programs - you have to go with the one that best suits the way you think. There is no ideal choice for everyone - only what works best for you.

Don
Old 16 June 2017, 06:39 AM

Red face Re: Scan& & Archive original documents

Quote:
Maybe better to invent a system that suits you.....
Group photos are always the difficulty, and in a few cases, reluctantly, I duplicate them.
Thank you for your response Michael. At the moment I am still scanning the photographs and just using the file number allocated by the scanner. I am still looking for some inspiration regarding filing systems for group photos. Perhaps I should start a new thread?
Old 26 June 2017, 07:00 PM

There comes a point where one must go beyond the file name and start working with metadata accessed through the 'get info' dialogue box or third party utilities. the metadata is searchable via spotlight.

Last edited by steveoc; 26 June 2017 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01 July 2017, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyril jones View Post
I have a massive collection of hard copy documents related to family history. I intend scanning these documents and archiving them. Google Drive has been recommended for this project. I'm looking for advice on how to set up such a searchable database and any other tips before I start. It would also be good if they could somehow be linked to Reunion.
Th best way to set up up a database is to use a database application,Personally, I use DEVONthink. Since every thread in which I discussed this program has been closed, I'll take that as an indication that the owners of this forum would rather I curtail my comments about it in this venue.

Reunion is not document management software, nor do I think, it should try to be. One of the advantages of the MacOS is th ease of working across applications. @Allsop also uses DEVONthink and has devised a way to link it to Reunion.

ReunionTalk > Genealogy > Scan& & Archive original documents