X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dutch Reunion Users

Message for the Dutch Reunion Users

Er is goed nieuws te melden.
    LeisterPro heeft Reunion 10 uitgebracht, de NL taalmodule (inclusief handboek) is klaar.
    Alle ons bekende Reunion gebruikers (met een geldig email adres) zullen na maandag 14 mei 2012 een mailing ontvangen van ons over het bestellen van Reunion 10, de upgrade procedure en bestellen van de NL taalmodule.

Deze mailing zal gefaseerd verlopen, beginnende bij de Reunion 9 gebruikers, vervolgens de Reunion 8 gebruikers etc.
    Deze overstap en uitlevering is een forse belasting voor de relatief kleine werkgroep. Wij verzoeken u begrip daarvoor en onze mailing af te wachten.
    Laat onverlet natuurlijk dat u alvast een kijkje kunt gaan nemen bij de videopresentaties van de nieuwe Reunion 10 bij Leister.

Namens de werkgroep
    Frans van Bodegom
    Frans van Bodegom
    Reunion NL Support Team

Re: Dutch Reunion Users

Fantastisch nieuws. Bedankt wederom voor de grote tijd investering en het goede werk.
    Ik wacht de mailing af om de taalmodule aan te schaffen.
    Reunion 10.0.1, Reunion for iPad and iPhone

Comment

Wacht met spanning af, werk toch het liefst in de Nederlandse taal.

Comment

Bonjour from Quebec

Being disappointed with the output of the different reports using French localization, I am wondering if the situation is better in the Dutch version that you translated. We all know that translating texts is much more complex than only translating words. In French, sentences comprise nouns, verbs and adjectives where the number (singular or plural), the tenses (present, past or future) and the gender (masculine or feminine) must all be taken into account grammatically with respect to the general meaning of the message.
        I guess that in Dutch grammatical and syntactic rules are just as different as in English. If you have succeeded in translating the reports for the Dutch users, would you tell us how you have carried it out and with which software?

Thanks for the attention that you are showing to my request.

Michele B.
        Michèle Bergeron
        www.mamieblue.ca

Comment

Originally posted by Michele B. View Post
          Being disappointed with the output of the different reports using French localization, I am wondering if the situation is better in the Dutch version that you translated. We all know that translating texts is much more complex than only translating words. In French, sentences comprise nouns, verbs and adjectives where the number (singular or plural), the tenses (present, past or future) and the gender (masculine or feminine) must all be taken into account grammatically with respect to the general meaning of the message.
          I guess that in Dutch grammatical and syntactic rules are just as different as in English. If you have succeeded in translating the reports for the Dutch users, would you tell us how you have carried it out and with which software?

www.mamieblue.ca
          While waiting for an answer, you may want to take a look at the Reunion 11 localization page. It looks like Léo Linteau has done a localization for French — is that the version you have tried? It might be worth while dropping him an e-mail about your concerns.
          Dennis J. Cunniff
          Click here to email me

Comment

Hello Michelle,

You are correct, localization is more than only translating words.
            The most difficult part are the narrative reports because the syntax and strings in sentences are different from English.

To get good result, it was trial and error (in earlier versions) to get the most optimum result, but I must be honest, not all the predefined strings in Reunion gives a perfect Dutch sentence.
            The sequence of codes used in the Dutch localization is different from the English sequence to get the best result.
            You know that you can influence the result by changing the verb in the Narrative Form in the Field Preferences.
            Contact the French localizer and show him the output sentences of different arrangement.
            Hope this helps.
            Frans van Bodegom
            Reunion NL Support Team

Comment

Originally posted by fjvanbodegom View Post
              Hello Michelle,

You are correct, localization is more than only translating words.
              The most difficult part are the narrative reports because the syntax and strings in sentences are different from English.
              You know that you can influence the result by changing the verb in the Narrative Form in the Field Preferences.
              Contact the French localizer .........

Thank you very much Frans and Dennis

Following your suggestions, I revised the Preferences Narrative forms. It did improve the Narrative Report, although nouns and adjectives gender (masculine or feminine) is still problematic. It is worth mentioning that it had no effect on Obituary Report which has to be rewritten in Word. In the Book, the sections titles are not translated. As far as the content is concerned, it is perfect, all the entries being done in French. If the different reports were editable in Reunion, it would be a solution. I could then consider sharing them. I read somewhere in ReunionTalk that Leister was taking into consideration this suggestion made by other members. Am I right?

Of course, I could import my database in a genealogy software developed in French such as Heredis but I like so much working with Reunion.

I am using Léo Linteau’ s localization. I did ask Léo if he planned to work on the Reports . He said it was too much work. One last question for Frans. A friend of mine would like to know if you used Xcode to develop the dutch localization. As he is a developer, he might work on localization. In the meantime I will ask Leo if he would at least translate the Book Sections Titles

I hope reading my English is not too laborious.

Michele
              Michèle Bergeron
              www.mamieblue.ca

Comment

Changed made to Fields Prefs-> Narrative Form ->Arrangement could improve the predefined sentences in the reports. My knowledge of French is too far behind me to judge about the correct nouns and adjectives in the French reports. Think Dutch is easier than French (I did not like French at school, but that was long long time ago, about 1958).
                The sentences of the obituary report are also present in the resMinder files (inside the programm), but not editable for the user, only inside the resMinder files and … it ask time to customize these so that you get proper Dutch strings.
                Yes I used XCode for the Dutch localization and also Resource Minder from Leister (see http://www.leisterpro.com/doc/versio...ltresource.php)
                The bookProject.strings are also present in the Reunion.app
                Frans van Bodegom
                Reunion NL Support Team

Comment

Working...
                X