ReunionTalk  
Go Back   ReunionTalk > Using Reunion 11

Old 27 July 2018, 01:09 PM
Deb
Technical Support

Default Re: keeping information of people I cannot place

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvellaborda View Post
I had one family in one file and another family in another file. I have just realised that file A has a brother and file B has the other brother. The parents are the same, I need to combine these two files together...How can I combine the two files without having to re type everything again.
Make a backup copy of each file before proceeding. Then, import file A into file B (or vise verse). This is done by opening one family file and choosing File -> Import -> Reunion Family File. Then, selecting the other file from the window that opens and clicking Open. Next, in the window that drops down, select the appropriate options (i.e., possibly All people, All sources, Import multimedia links, etc.) and click Import at the bottom.

Finally, you will need to use Reunion's Match and Merge People feature (by choosing File -> Match and Merge People) to merge the duplicated records (i.e., the parents and other ancestors) into one. Before using this feature, I highly recommend reading the manual page titled "Match & Merge People." It describes how the process works. One way to get to that section is to open your manual by choosing Help -> Contents. Then, click on the Bookmarks icon (the brown bookmark at the top of the manual page) and select "Match & Merge" from the menu.

I hope you find this information helpful in combining both family files
Old 27 July 2018, 04:18 PM

Thanks Deb, most helpful.
Old 27 July 2018, 05:42 PM

Smile Re: keeping information of people I cannot place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb View Post
Finally, you will need to use Reunion's Match and Merge People feature (by choosing File -> Match and Merge People) to merge the duplicated records (i.e., the parents and other ancestors) into one. Before using this feature, I highly recommend reading the manual page titled "Match & Merge People."
Make a back up of the new file, and be very careful of how you name all 4 of them, and, as soon as possible (but not too soon) delete the backups
Old 27 July 2018, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Freas Rogers View Post
You can also create a flag called "Stray" and set that flag for each unrelated (stray) person. In preferences, you can then make your flags appear in the Person button, so if you were to click on their name in the Person column, perhaps wondering who they are (this is if you did NOT do the "person collector" thing, which I actually like now that I've seen this idea from Paul), and are in Family View, you would see "Flag: Stray" show up on their person button.
Yes, I use the 'unlinked' flag too. But with hundreds of them, among tens of thousands of people with similar names, listing by flag was too coarse.

My sub-par organizational skills often made me mutter "I know this family sounds familiar, but where'd I put them??" I was pleasantly surprised how well collectors by region work.
Old 28 July 2018, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Reitz View Post
My sub-par organizational skills often made me mutter "I know this family sounds familiar, but where'd I put them??" I was pleasantly surprised how well collectors by region work.
in Reunion 12, you can use the "islands" feature to keep track of who's connected to who.
Old 25 September 2018, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis J. Cunniff View Post
in Reunion 12, you can use the "islands" feature to keep track of who's connected to who.
Thanks, Dennis, but that wouldn't work in this case.

The file in question is for like-surname immigrants to the U.S., and their descendants. The immigrants usually aren't linked to parents or a larger family, so each is an island. There are at least 100 large groups, and the inevitable slew of 1- and 2-person islands.

When it becomes necessary to temporarily place a new find, the commonly-known factoids are often just name and location. Thus location-based collectors, but I have other collector types, too.

-Paul

ReunionTalk > Using Reunion 11 > keeping information of people I cannot place