Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Organizing Folders for Dropbox and on iMac

Mind is going in circles and may be over-thinking:

I using ReunionTouch successfully with Reunion 11, but never got around to making sure pictures and other multimedia items were organized to sync with the family file on iPhone and iPad because I feared it would be too complicated, since my folders aren't organized precisely as recommended to use this feature. I'd like to set it up now to do it right with Reunion 12.

Because I have two separate large family files for my family and my husband's, I've always had my folders organized as follows on my computer to maintain the separation and make it simpler to find or add individual photos, depending on which family file I was working on AND which genealogy software I was using, as I was for a couple of years using both Reunion and (experimentally) Family Tree Maker:

On my iMac, I had files organized like this:
    DOCUMENTS/GENEALOGY/REUNION
    and
    DOCUMENTS/GENEALOGY/FAMILY TREE MAKER

Both software packages found their relevant photos and other multimedia items in:

DOCUMENTS/GENEALOGY/GENEALOGY PICTURES/PICTURES-JCM (for my family file)
    and
    DOCUMENTS/GENEALOGY/GENEALOGY PICTURES/PICTURES-TBM (for my husband's family file)

Is it even possible to maintain that level of separation for my Reunion files using Reunion Touch, WITHIN one Dropbox folder? Could I have a folder sequence in Dropbox such as:

REUNION/REUNION FILES-JCM/ (then have my tree, and sub-folders for my photos, charts, etc.?

and

REUNION/REUNION FILES-TBM/ then have husband's tree, and sub-folders for his photos, charts, etc?

Or must I have all genealogy photos, co-mingled for both families, in one large folder?

What's the best way to deal with this?

Re: Organizing Folders for Dropbox and on iMac

Hi Judith,

Originally posted by Judith Morris View Post
    I using ReunionTouch successfully with Reunion 11, but never got around to making sure pictures and other multimedia items were organized to sync with the family file on iPhone and iPad ...
    This isn't necessary. ReunionTouch doesn't make use of the original image files, it uses thumbnails that are stored inside of the family file itself. You don't need to put your multimedia in Dropbox in order to be able to access them in ReunionTouch.

Note that ReunionTouch only supports pictures and PDF files. Videos, audio files, etc. are not synced to ReunionTouch.

HTH
    Mark Harrison
    Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Oh right ... In all my circular thinking I make things more complicated. Still have a problem wrapping my mind around that! What a relief!

Thanks, Mark!

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
        Hi Judith,

This isn't necessary. ReunionTouch doesn't make use of the original image files, it uses thumbnails that are stored inside of the family file itself. You don't need to put your multimedia in Dropbox in order to be able to access them in ReunionTouch.

Note that ReunionTouch only supports pictures and PDF files. Videos, audio files, etc. are not synced to ReunionTouch.

HTH
        I've been reading and re-reading Reunion's instructions for "Mobile Devices and Dropbox Sharing" which I printed out (8 pages directly from the online instructions) and under the section "Organizing Files on Dropbox" it states "By using Dropbox for genealogy picture files, you only need one copy of each picture file--residing on Dropbox. No matter which Mac you use, Reunion will link to the pictures on Dropbox. So there's no need to duplicate picture files on multiple Macs."

That again confuses me; it sounds like my pictures do need to be in Dropbox after all. I know I must be making you tear out your hair, but please help again. My one objective here is to be able to work on my husband's family tree on my computer, my iPad and my iPhone. AND too have it also on our family laptop, as well as my husband's iPad and iPhone.

Comment

That portion of the manual entry is specifically referring to sharing the files with other Macs - it's part of the "Using Dropbox to Share Your Family File with Other Macs" section of that manual entry. See the sentences prior to the one you quoted:

In the preceding section, we've explained how to use Dropbox to share a family file between different Macintoshes.

Dropbox can also be very effectively used to share your other Reunion files between different Macs. For example, pictures, reports, and charts.
          If you're NOT sharing the family file between Macs, and only between one Mac and ReunionTouch on your iOS devices, then it's not necessary to put the pictures in Dropbox. Based on your original post I was under the belief that was your situation - perhaps I misunderstood.

HTH
          Mark Harrison

Comment

That portion of the manual entry is specifically referring to sharing the files with other Macs - it's part of the "Using Dropbox to Share Your Family File with Other Macs" section of that manual entry. See the sentences prior to the one you quoted:

If you're NOT sharing the family file between Macs, and only between one Mac and ReunionTouch on your iOS devices, then it's not necessary to put the pictures in Dropbox. Based on your original post I was under the belief that was your situation - perhaps I misunderstood.

HTH
            That was my situation at the time, but now I've been told that it needs to be on the laptop as well. (And I'm simultaneously wrestling with the issue of how to get the tree onto my husband's iPad and iPhone, because he logs into his own dropbox, not mine ...does he need to log into Dropbox using my username and password instead to down load the family file to his Reunion Touch? Dropbox seems also to have changed the way files are shared and that's no longer as clear to me.)

Comment

That portion of the manual entry is specifically referring to sharing the files with other Macs - it's part of the "Using Dropbox to Share Your Family File with Other Macs" section of that manual entry.
              I had I guess overlooked this when I set up Sharing with DropBox - I have the "ReunionPictures" folder synchronised separately between my Mac Pro and my MacBook Pro, as part of a whole setup with ChronoSynch that keeps the Documents folder, and most of the contents of the Pictures folder synchronised between the computers. (it's been like this for many many years in fact).

So the path to the ReunionPictures folder is identical on both machines, and Reunion successfully finds the images on either computer.

Roger
              Roger Moffat
              http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
              http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

If your Dropbox account is space-constrained, you can use other cloud-sharing software for images, to make them available on other Macs. I use my own Nextcloud server, but you can store images in iCloud as well. It is only the familyfile (including the automatically generated thumbnails) that need to be in Dropbox.

Comment

...ReunionTouch doesn't make use of the original image files, it uses thumbnails that are stored inside of the family file itself. You don't need to put your multimedia in Dropbox in order to be able to access them in ReunionTouch.

HTH
                  Hmm interesting.

If this is the case, then:

1) are Sources synced to Touch?

2) I can’t figure out how to properly link a photo in Touch. All my photos are in a folder in Dropbox that sits beside my family file, also in Dropbox. But I can’t seem to link a new photo in that folder to a person in Touch. When I add a photo in Touch, i have to choose Photos as the source, and I can’t tell where it’s putting it but it certainly doesn’t prompt me for what location to store it in.

Am I being clear?

Thanks!
                  Dave Kitabjian

Comment

Originally posted by reggoboy View Post
                    ...are Sources synced to Touch?
                    Yes.

...When I add a photo in Touch, i have to choose Photos as the source, and I can’t tell where it’s putting it but it certainly doesn’t prompt me for what location to store it in.
                    When a photo is linked using ReunionTouch, the full resolution image is sent to your Macintosh and stored in the imported media folder. The exact name and location of the imported media folder can be found by choosing File > Sharing Status from Reunion's main menubar.
                    Gregg Witmer

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                      Yes.

When a photo is linked using ReunionTouch, the full resolution image is sent to your Macintosh and stored in the imported media folder. The exact name and location of the imported media folder can be found by choosing File > Sharing Status from Reunion's main menubar.
                      Thanks.

This took some reading and experimenting to make sense of, but I think it looks good.

When you say "the full resolution image is sent to your Macintosh", I think you just mean that Touch just places it in Dropbox locally on your iOS device in the place defined in your family file, Dropbox syncs it to that same place your Mac. Am I correct?

Thanks again.
                      Dave Kitabjian

Comment

When you say "the full resolution image is sent to your Macintosh", I think you just mean that Touch just places it in Dropbox locally on your iOS device in the place defined in your family file, Dropbox syncs it to that same place your Mac. Am I correct?
                        You are mostly correct. The full resolution image is passed from ReunionTouch on your device to Reunion on your Mac, then Reunion places that image into the Imported Media folder.
                        Gregg Witmer

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                          You are mostly correct. The full resolution image is passed from ReunionTouch on your device to Reunion on your Mac, then Reunion places that image into the Imported Media folder.
                          Okay thanks. Seems to work so I will perhaps stop asking for more details 😅
                          Dave Kitabjian

Comment

Working...
                          X