Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Multiple professions?

Originally posted by scatchardfamily View Post
    Many thanks for this tip of using OCCU in the Events area.

May I ask whether you use the location of the source as the 'place' field?

E.g.: I have a wedding whether someone's occupation is given as Butcher. Do I really put him as being a butcher in a church?!
    Not quite. You can state that he was a butcher at the time of his wedding. It was his occupation at the time of the event.
    Arnold
    -----
    RESEARCHING: FRIESLAND (Holland); NEW BRUNSWICK (Canada); Maine, NYS & NJ (USA)

Comment

Originally posted by AE Palmer View Post
      Not quite. You can state that he was a butcher at the time of his wedding. It was his occupation at the time of the event.
      Many thanks. So I do not put a location / a place?

Comment

Many thanks. So I do not put a location / a place?
        If the source has a location and (or) date, you should record that as well. Every detail is important. Genealogy is all about the granularity of details!
        Arnold
        -----
        RESEARCHING: FRIESLAND (Holland); NEW BRUNSWICK (Canada); Maine, NYS & NJ (USA)

Comment

Many thanks for this tip of using OCCU in the Events area.

May I ask whether you use the location of the source as the 'place' field?

E.g.: I have a wedding whether someone's occupation is given as Butcher. Do I really put him as being a butcher in a church?!
          Confess I don't use Reunion for OCCU as it requires the profession to be in Memo which isn't visible on my layout (I have too many others). (I use OCCU in my online app.)

That said, in Reunion, you would enter Butcher in Memo and New York, New York, USA for place (obvious, use your location). When you say occupation at wedding, do you mean at the time of marriage he was a butcher? Then date would be from the about the wedding year (maybe prior, may not be so keep general).
          ====
          macRBC
          Reunion user since 2009
          macOS 10.11.16 El Capitan
          Reunion v11.0.11

Comment

Then, I've tried putting all the professions in one box, ending up with long lists like "agricultural labourer (1841, 1851), groom (1861, 1864, 1876, 1877)", and a similarly long list of sources for this 'one' fact. And then on a tree you get a massively long profession.
            That's how I do it, but entries in an earlier discussion and now this one are making me think that they may be better placed as Events.

Any ideas / wisdom?
            I'm following this thread to get a suitable solution to this issue.
            John Bastin
            jbastin1@me.com
            Researching: Bastin, Decker, Brake, Perry, Schmid, Sheppard, Matty, Fox, Orr, Eicher
            Mac OS X 10.13.4, Reunion 12.0 (Build 180502) 64-bit

Comment

Working...
            X