Windows Genealogy Program Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows Genealogy Program Suggestions?

I need to suggest a program for a NON-Mac user.

Looking at a recent review of software, http://www.toptenreviews.com/softwar...logy-software/ they suggest "Legacy Family Tree"; anyone here familiar with it? If so, how does it compare to Reunion? BTW, it is interesting that the review included Reunion 11 and said Windows 7 is a supported configuration!

What other Windows programs are CLOSEST to Reunion?
    Dennis B. Swaney
    Prescott, AZ

MacOS 10.13.6; MacOS 12.6; iOS 16; iPadOS 12 & 16

Re: Windows Genealogy Program Suggestions?

Originally posted by romad View Post
    I need to suggest a program for a NON-Mac user.

Looking at a recent review of software, http://www.toptenreviews.com/softwar...logy-software/ they suggest "Legacy Family Tree"; anyone here familiar with it? If so, how does it compare to Reunion? ...
    I use to use Legacy Family Tree on my Mac but got tired of having Windows. However, I really liked Legacy. I still love the Legacy website and their wonderful free webinars! I would highly recommend Legacy to any Windows users.

Regards,
    Kaye
    Kaye Mushalik
    -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
    -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
    -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Comment

Originally posted by kmgenealogy View Post
      I use to use Legacy Family Tree on my Mac but got tired of having Windows. However, I really liked Legacy. I still love the Legacy website and their wonderful free webinars! I would highly recommend Legacy to any Windows users.

Regards,
      Kaye
      Kaye, if you use Codeweavers Crossover, you don't need a copy of Windows.

OK, so we have 1 vote "Yay" for LFT.
      Dennis B. Swaney
      Prescott, AZ

Comment

Originally posted by kmgenealogy View Post

Regards,
        Kaye
        I have a friend who likes Roots Magic very much even better than Legacy.

Hope this helps.

Marilynn

Comment

Originally posted by Marilynn View Post
          I have a friend who likes Roots Magic very much even better than Legacy.

Hope this helps.

Marilynn
          But how does it compare with Reunion?
          Dennis B. Swaney
          Prescott, AZ

Comment

I used to be a Legacy Family Tree user too, before I became a Mac person. I thought it was great, and still do, however, the popular windows program these days seems to be RootsMagic. I've looked at it. It seems easy to use and along with its popularity your friend will likely find a lot of other RootsMagic users to help him/her when questions come up. If I were starting out in the windows world today I would definitely pick RootsMagic. I've heard it syncs with Ancestry.com and if you want to move your Family Tree Maker database over to RootsMagic it can be done without gedcom.

Comment

Originally posted by Susan Park View Post
              I used to be a Legacy Family Tree user too, before I became a Mac person. I thought it was great, and still do, however, the popular windows program these days seems to be RootsMagic. I've looked at it. It seems easy to use and along with its popularity your friend will likely find a lot of other RootsMagic users to help him/her when questions come up. If I were starting out in the windows world today I would definitely pick RootsMagic. I've heard it syncs with Ancestry.com and if you want to move your Family Tree Maker database over to RootsMagic it can be done without gedcom.
              Thank you, Susan. Hmmm, I'm still waiting for my reply to Marilynn to post.

OK, it stands at 2 for RootsMagic and 1.5 for LFT (I gave a half point for you, Susan).

I'm guessing that both can import a Reunion-generated GEDCOM without problems?
              Dennis B. Swaney
              Prescott, AZ

Comment

In our genealogy society the Windows people seem to be evenly split between Family Tree Maker, RootsMagic, and Legacy. I used FTM when I was on Windows up until 2008 when I bought a Mac and switched to Reunion. I thought FTM was fine, although I never used the synch features to Ancestry at that time (maybe they weren't in it then). Overall, I think Reunion is far superior to FTM in capability and flexibility but it doesn't have the Ancestry synching which would be nice - especially when gathering record images on your own computer.

We did some comparisons among us a little while back in our weekly workgroup and when I demonstrated Reunion there was a fair amount of jealousy expressed by the RoostMagic and Legacy crowd when I showed the flexibility in creating structured sources in Reunion, the record marking capabilities, and the custom field definition features. I presume that means that the Windows programs don't have anything as good as that. They also liked the Islands and the book report.

From what I can tell, Windows people sort into various buckets between those who want tight integration with Ancestry (FTM and now, RootsMagic) and those who want a user interface that is simple and PAF-like (RootsMagic) and those who want more power (Legacy). We also had a few TMG (The Master Genealogist) types among your professional genealogist members but they have mostly migrated to Legacy I think.

Don

Comment

Originally posted by romad View Post
                  Kaye, if you use Codeweavers Crossover, you don't need a copy of Windows.

Thanks. Downloaded the free trial and it works well. I'll pay for it after working with it some more. Now, just have to delete my partitioned section with old Windows on it....yay!
                  Kaye Mushalik
                  -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
                  -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
                  -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Comment

Before moving to a MacBook, I used Brother's Keeper, which is excellent shareware from John Steed. Website is http://www.bkwin.org/.
                    Steve Thomas
                    iMac and MacBook Pro, macOS Ventura 13.5, iPhone 12 Pro Max iOS 16.6, iPad Pro, Reunion 13 and Reunion Touch.

Comment

Working...
                    X