X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mavericks Discussion

Originally posted by donworth View Post
    As with most new Mac OS releases, I'm going to wait a couple of months. I pretty much agree with the assessment here:

http://lifehacker.com/should-i-upgra...cks-1449627553
    I wonder if he will say the same thing after running Mavericks for a couple days. I experienced slowness for maybe half a day, then, suddenly, wham, bang... I haven't seen anything in writing to confirm my guess but my guess is that a re-indexing for Spotlight was taking place.

The only problem I'm having is that the Mail app doesn't hold on to my dot mac password. Haven't had time to research the issue yet. Meanwhile, it is just an annoyance.
    Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
    Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
    iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Re: Reunion and new Mac OS Mavericks

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
    I wonder if he will say the same thing after running Mavericks for a couple days. I experienced slowness for maybe half a day, then, suddenly, wham, bang... I haven't seen anything in writing to confirm my guess but my guess is that a re-indexing for Spotlight was taking place.

The only problem I'm having is that the Mail app doesn't hold on to my dot mac password. Haven't had time to research the issue yet. Meanwhile, it is just an annoyance.
    There is a workaround for Mail. In Preferences>Advanced, instead of password authentication, select the Apple Token option.

Comment

Originally posted by Carl Bender View Post
      There is a workaround for Mail. In Preferences>Advanced, instead of password authentication, select the Apple Token option.
      Thank you, Carl. Worked like a charm!

Comment

I guess i'm late to the dance. What is OS Mavericks? I'm running OS X 10.7.5 with Reunion 10.0.6. I haven't heard anything about Mavericks. Is it from Apple?
        Delbert Curlin
        Reunion 10.0.6 OS X 10.9.2 iphone 3GS
        Searching Curlin, White, McClish,Buckner

Comment

Originally posted by DelbertCurlin View Post
          What is OS Mavericks? I'm running OS X 10.7.5 with Reunion 10.0.6.
          Mavericks is the name of the latest OS X release.

OS X 10.7 = Lion
          OS X 10.8 = Mountain Lion
          OS X 10.9 = Mavericks

They've apparently given up on big cats, and this and future releases will be named after California locations (in this case, a beach).

Mavericks is a free upgrade in the App Store. It's only been out a very short time, so you may want to wait for the next version, after everyone else has tried it out for you
          Dennis J. Cunniff
          Click here to email me

Comment

The cats are gone. But, wait a minute, there is a dog story here. Surfers started using the area, which is near Half Moon Bay, in the early 1960's. A dog sort of adopted them and they named him Maverick. The dog also like the waves. The surfers started referring to the location as Mavericks. For details, go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mavericks_(location).

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis J. Cunniff View Post
              Mavericks is the name of the latest OS X release.

OS X 10.7 = Lion
              OS X 10.8 = Mountain Lion
              OS X 10.9 = Mavericks

They've apparently given up on big cats, and this and future releases will be named after California locations (in this case, a beach).

Mavericks is a free upgrade in the App Store. It's only been out a very short time, so you may want to wait for the next version, after everyone else has tried it out for you
              And, if your Mac meets the specifications, you can upgrade, free, right from Lion-OS 10.7...
              You can find out specifications at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5842.

There is a lot of info of what to do before upgrading on MacWorld.com - highly recommend you read about it before you do it. I found a lot of good advice at
              The latest version of OS X, 10.9 Mavericks, is here. But before you rush to install Mavericks, you'll want to check out our in-depth guide to preparing your Mac for the new OS, downloading and installing it, creating a bootable backup of the installer, and more.

Hope this helps,
              Kaye
              Kaye Mushalik
              -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
              -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
              -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Comment

I guess i'm late to the dance. What is OS Mavericks? I'm running OS X 10.7.5 with Reunion 10.0.6. I haven't heard anything about Mavericks. Is it from Apple?
                Delbert-
                From what I've gathered from the history of your previous ReunionTalk posts, my recommendation is:
                "If it ain't broke, don't 'fix' it."

As for me I'm a contented user of Snow Leopard OSX 10.6.8 and doing just fine, thank you. <grin> However, this will become an issue down the road as more and more applications cease to support the older OSX versions.
                Byron Spoon

Comment

Increasingly I'm as much concerned with what I'm losing or being forced to do as I am with what new bells and whistles there might be. It's very hard to find this information.

I heard you can't synch your contacts unless they are in iCloud (and that ain't happenin') and that you can't remove certain apps from the dock, even if you don't use them.

This is another reason to wait (and be wary).

David
                  Gilbert - Fulcher - Hackney - Harvey - Holmes - Hall
                  in Virginia, West Virginia, Kentucky, and beyond.

Comment

Originally posted by gilbertdh View Post
                    .........I heard you can't synch your contacts unless they are in iCloud (and that ain't happenin') and that you can't remove certain apps from the dock, even if you don't use them..........
                    To the left, only the Finder and Safari icons are not removable. To the right, it's the same as it has been for several versions. Not removables are Applications, Documents, Downloads, Current Work and Trash. I feel your hurt; the only one of those that I use is Trash.

Comment

Thanks for all the response from Dennis,Kaye,Byron,Dave & Bob. I copied them and may just wait a bit before upgrading. As an after thought -- I bought my wife a used Mac book pro from a local shop that does all the computer maintenance for the local county schools.
                      Do I need to register it somehow so I can also upgrade it? Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

Delbert (The text after my name shouldn't have been there - Ive been retired of 25 yrs)
                      Last edited by DelbertCurlin; 29 October 2013, 04:59 PM.
                      Delbert Curlin

Comment

HELP! I thought I would download the Mavericks and hold it for later but it put up a page at the end of download saying to set up Installation I should click Continue and it will not let me get rid of the page and I don't want to install now. Anybody? Somebody?
                        Delbert Curlin

Comment

HELP! I thought I would download the Mavericks and hold it for later but it put up a page at the end of download saying to set up Installation I should click Continue and it will not let me get rid of the page and I don't want to install now. Anybody? Somebody?
                          Just call Apple. If it can be done, they will step you through it. But why not upgrade?
                          Terry

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Medlar View Post
                            Just call Apple. If it can be done, they will step you through it. But why not upgrade?
                            All you've done to this point is download the 'updater' portion of the total package. Click on the "Mavericks" icon in the very upper left of your screen, and a drop down menu will appear. Simply click on 'quit' and all will be ok. The installer will reside in your "Applications" folder until you decide to use it. At that time just double click on it and start the installation.
                            There methods of saving the updated if you want to update multiple Macs...but that's a long story and probably saved for another time/thread.

Bob K. rnkiii
                            Bob K. - Searching Kenward, Gekeler, Schostag, Klingbeil, Miller, Kirkwood, Boardman, Congdon

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Medlar View Post
                              But why not upgrade?
                              Thanks Terry;
                              I really don't like to be in on the break in phase of a new OS. I'm not wise enough to find my way thru glitches _ I have enough troubles just keeping the status quo.
                              Delbert Curlin

Comment

Working...
                              X