This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mavericks Discussion

If you have a Time Machine backup from just before you do the upgrade you can always go back by reformatting your hard drive and restoring the Time Machine backup.

My advice would be to backup, upgrade, then play with the system for a while without adding anything to your iTunes or iPhoto and don't check for emails or change any files that you care about. That way you can simply restore the Time Machine backup and you won't lose anything.

It is possible to export everything in your iPhoto and iTunes databases as files and that as well as your emails can be saved independently and reimported after you restore your disk to the way it way before the upgrade. However, that process won't be as easy as simply restoring from a Time Machine backup of your disk.

Confession: I haven't upgraded from Mountain Lion to Mavericks yet. There just aren't enough new features that I want in Mavericks to make putting up with the potential downsides worthwhile for me yet.
    Last edited by donworth; 11 December 2013, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rclrocco View Post
      I fully understand the value of a good backup John. But perhaps you misunderstood. I meant that once you upgrade, there is no reverting to a previous OS. As I understand it, if I don't like Mavericks once I upgrade, tough, I'm stuck with it.

Thats why I'm particularly keen to know that my emails and iPhoto library, multimedia items will survive the process without me having to do anything.
      Well, a good backup is one that will enable you to avoid a loss of data or function.

As I understand it, the upgrade process to Mavericks is somewhat similar to upgrades of some applications. When I at one point upgraded Aperture the process included changes to my Aperture Library to accommodate its use with the upgraded application. But those changes made the resulting new library unable to be used by the "un-upgraded" Aperture application.

Because my Aperture Library has thousands of photos I did not want to lose, I made a clone of my entire hard drive to another drive prior to upgrading. Then I checked to make sure the cloned drive would boot, run the un-upgraded Aperture and access my existing Aperture Library. It did. So if I decided that I didn't like the latest version of Aperture, there would be no difficulty continuing to use my existing Aperture and its Library.

Of course, if I upgraded and then six months later decided I didn't like it, nothing I had entered in the new version during that time would exist in my clone.

If you upgrade to Mavericks, you are not stuck with it if you do the upgrade properly. The risk you are trying to avoid is present in many upgrades and the only way to avoid it altogether is just not to upgrade.
      John McGee Leggett, Jr.
      Late 2014 MacMini, MacOS Mojave 10.14.3, Reunion 12, Safari 12.0.3
      Leggett Booth McGee King Coulter Morton Ashley Douglas Ranard Maners

Comment

If you have an external hard drive, it can be used as the Mavericks startup drive, for testing.

Install Mavericks just on the external drive. Then, System Preferences > Startup Disk > select the external drive, and then reboot. If you don't like Mavericks, you can remove it, or simply change back to your computer's internal drive as the startup drive.
        Robert Godfrey

http://www.QuoddyLoop.com
        A 3-Nation Vacation in Maine, Sipayik, & New Brunswick

Comment

Looking forward to my Easter pressie of a fast new iMac, in a few weeks time which will come preloaded with Mavericks, so now I have to upgrade. Have a couple of backups ready; will be changing to Reunion 10 at the same time but probably going to make sure that my current R9 transfers smoothly first.

So hopefully all three upgrades will go well, Snow Leopard to Mavericks; R9 to R10; and a 2008 iMac to a shiny new 2014 jobby
          Rupert

Researching Large; Cuddon; Ford, Gadsdon and Fletcher

Comment

Originally posted by rclrocco View Post
            Looking forward to my Easter pressie of a fast new iMac, in a few weeks time which will come preloaded with Mavericks, so now I have to upgrade. Have a couple of backups ready; will be changing to Reunion 10 at the same time but probably going to make sure that my current R9 transfers smoothly first.

So hopefully all three upgrades will go well, Snow Leopard to Mavericks; R9 to R10; and a 2008 iMac to a shiny new 2014 jobby
            What fun!!! Good luck!
            Kaye Mushalik
            -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
            -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
            -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Comment

Working...
            X