X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exporting multimedia to use with TNG

Hi all.

I use Reunion 11 as the primary place to integrate all my family genealogy data including all the multimedia (pictures, PDFs, etc.). The multimedia are stored in the Imported Media folder located in the Pictures folder on the Imac. (As a side question, is there a way to move the Imported Media folder to the Reunion folder where the Reunion data is kept? It would make backups much easier. I have tried to move it but when I try to add multimedia to a person, it still goes to the Pictures folder.)

I maintain a family website set up using The Next Generation platform.

When I export the GEDCOM file from Reunion, it uploads with no problems into TNG. The problem, however, is that none of the multimedia makes the transition with it.

So, is the multimedia supposed to follow the GEDCOM when it is exported or not? If it is, what am I missing that causes it not to do so.

Thanks

David

Re: Exporting multimedia to use with TNG

Originally posted by BigEnso View Post
    I have tried to move it but when I try to add multimedia to a person, it still goes to the Pictures folder.
    After moving the Imported Media folder, you should go to:

File -> Sharing Status...

And ensure the path listed under "Imported Media Folder" points to the new location of your media folder; if not, click the "Change" button, then locate and select the Imported Media folder that you want Reunion to use.

So, is the multimedia supposed to follow the GEDCOM when it is exported or not?
    A GEDCOM file is simply a text file, it can't contain the images. You would need to upload the images in addition to the GEDCOM.

Unfortunately I don't know enough about TNG to advise you on how to do that, but I'm sure one of the users here who has experience with TNG will be able to point you in the right direction.

HTH
    Mark Harrison
    Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
      After moving the Imported Media folder, you should go to:

File -> Sharing Status...

And ensure the path listed under "Imported Media Folder" points to the new location of your media folder; if not, click the "Change" button, then locate and select the Imported Media folder that you want Reunion to use.

A GEDCOM file is simply a text file, it can't contain the images. You would need to upload the images in addition to the GEDCOM.

Unfortunately I don't know enough about TNG to advise you on how to do that, but I'm sure one of the users here who has experience with TNG will be able to point you in the right direction.

HTH
      Hi Mark and thanks for the reply.

I did the move and did the change in the Sharing Status menu. Seemed to go ok. Then I noticed a slightly different problem.

I had selected a person and wanted to add an image from the Imported Media folder using the Multimedia Sidebar + sign for the addition. When I clicked on the +, it took me to the Pictures folder rather than to the moved Imported Media folder. Is there some other setting that I need update?

As for the GEDCOM question, I knew it was a text file but something I had read in the past gave me the impression that you could export the multimedia files with it. Maybe I am just getting old. LOL It is no big deal. Just means I have to continue uploading them individually.

Thanks

Comment

When I clicked on the +, it took me to the Pictures folder rather than to the moved Imported Media folder. Is there some other setting that I need update?
        If you want Reunion to default to the Imported Media folder when you click the + in the Multimedia sidebar, then go to:

Reunion -> Preferences... , Folders, Multimedia

And click "Choose Other Folder..." then locate and select the Imported Media folder.

I had read in the past gave me the impression that you could export the multimedia files with it.
        An old version of the GEDCOM standard allowed for the use of what were called BLOB tags, which you could use to represent images using text (BLOB stands for binary large object). However, this was removed from the GEDCOM standard with version 5.5.1.

HTH
        Mark Harrison

Comment

Was able to do all that and it showed the last selection (Other folder) with the new folder name. I switched back to the Show All Preferences and then went back to the Folders page. It had reverted to the Reunion Default button and the Other folder button was cleared. Out of curiosity, I tried to change the Charts folder to something different and it also reset to the default as soon as I clicked away from the page and back.

I may just go back to the default in the Pictures folder. Just have to remember to back it up as well.

Thanks

Comment

It sounds like there may be a issue with your preference files.

Please try deleting preferences as outlined in #4 under "Things to try..." in this FAQ, then try changing the settings again and see if the problem persists.

Note that after deleting preferences you may need to re-set the Imported Media Folder setting.

Thanks!
            Mark Harrison

Comment

When I export the GEDCOM file from Reunion, it uploads with no problems into TNG. The problem, however, is that none of the multimedia makes the transition with it.

So, is the multimedia supposed to follow the GEDCOM when it is exported or not? If it is, what am I missing that causes it not to do so.
              When you export the GEDCOM file from Reunion do you check the box to "Include Multimedia Links"?

If you do, then the path to each file on your Macintosh will be exported in the GEDCOM file Reunion creates.

When you then upload the GEDCOM file to your TNG site you also have to upload all the images separately since the GEDCOM file ONLY contains links to them.

You should take a look at this article I wrote on the TNG Wiki and make sure that
              1 - you understand it
              2 - you have your setup as described there on both your iMac for Reunion and your TNG site

Roger
              Roger Moffat
              http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
              http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

Originally posted by theKiwi View Post
                When you export the GEDCOM file from Reunion do you check the box to "Include Multimedia Links"?

If you do, then the path to each file on your Macintosh will be exported in the GEDCOM file Reunion creates.

When you then upload the GEDCOM file to your TNG site you also have to upload all the images separately since the GEDCOM file ONLY contains links to them.

You should take a look at this article I wrote on the TNG Wiki and make sure that
                1 - you understand it
                2 - you have your setup as described there on both your iMac for Reunion and your TNG site

Roger
                Hi Roger.

Thank you for the link to this article. The process is a bit convoluted but doable.

I think the "Include Media Links" is what gave me the impression that it was a more seamless process than it is. Glad your article made it much clearer.

David

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                  It sounds like there may be a issue with your preference files.

Please try deleting preferences as outlined in #4 under "Things to try..." in this FAQ, then try changing the settings again and see if the problem persists.

Note that after deleting preferences you may need to re-set the Imported Media Folder setting.

Thanks!
                  Thanks Mark. That seems to have cleared the problem.

David

Comment

Working...
                  X