This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bento database substitute

I use Bento as a database solution to organize and plan my research and it has been a great complement to Reunion. I have a research database in Bento that is robust and can organize the data, projects and makes searching easy. Problem is that Filemaker Pro stopped selling Bento about a year ago and I'm worried that I eventually will have problems if I continue to use this program especially when it comes to OS updates.

Despite cost, I've looked at FileMaker Pro as a logical alternative to move my databases over to, and have even tried a Bento to Filemaker migration app. It worked to a degree (not 100%), but Filemaker has such a steep learning curve. Honestly, I still can't figure out what to do going forward- Filemaker is way too complicated for what I want and need.

I also struggle with Excel and completely don't understand Access. Can someone who has successfully converted from Bento to another database program help me out?

Thanks,
    Dante
    dante

Re: Bento database substitute

I have just recently been looking at Tap Forms - http://www.tapforms.com. The Mac App Store price for the recent v.3.0 is $34.99. They have a Bento Importer. There is a demo version on their website. Has good reviews. I haven't done anything with it yet.

Has anyone out there used Tap Forms? What do you think?
    Kaye Mushalik
    -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
    -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
    -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Comment

I have been using Tap Forms in place of Bento for a week now. It imports Bento files easily and accurately, and works well. As yet, it has a few small limitations as compared to Bento - e.g. it will combine only three search fields (I'm used to four or more); and a Tap Forms saved search is not quite equivalent to a Bento smart collection, because you can't select the fields to display. On the plus side, unlike Bento, it is being actively developed and well supported (prompt response to emails). I'm going to stick with it.
      Last edited by Michael Talibard; 27 October 2014, 06:00 PM.

Comment

I am going to review Tap Forms but maybe you can provide some insight on how you use this application?
        ``````````````````````````````
        Grant

Comment

Originally posted by gathompson56 View Post
          I am going to review Tap Forms but maybe you can provide some insight on how you use this application?
          I don't actually use either Bento or Tap Forms for a Genealogy- or Reunion- related purpose, but for various other things. Therefore the discussion doesn't belong here. If still interested, email me outside this forum, at michael@ t a l i b a r d . c o m (without the spaces).

Comment

Dante & others,

Just wanted to see if anyone has an update on using Tap Forms. I bought it but have not done anything with it. Has anyone used it and imported their Bento files?
            Kaye Mushalik
            -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)

Comment

Hi, Kay..... I have been using Tap Forms for several months. In fact, I looked at it partially due to this discussion plus I had been looking for a replacement.

It includes a Bento import feature which worked smooth as silk. It is lightning fast on all three devices (Mac, iPhone, iPad). Syncing and finding are a little different from Bento; just takes a few times of use to get in the groove.

I have not designed a Tap database from scratch, so I can't comment about that. However, it is quite easy to edit the layouts. None of my uses are genealogy related.
              Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
              Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
              iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
                Hi, Kay..... I have been using Tap Forms for several months. In fact, I looked at it partially due to this discussion plus I had been looking for a replacement.
                Thanks, Bob. Good to know. I need to spend some time with it.

Hope others can add to the discussion.
                Kaye Mushalik

Comment

Originally posted by kmgenealogy View Post
                  Hope others can add to the discussion.
                  Further to my last - some months with Tap Forms now, and happy with it. Excellent support. Previously I said only three sort fields, but one can get a fourth (eqivalent) by using 'Group Records By'. Works very smoothly.

Comment

And today a small company announced a product named Records. It's on the Mac App Store for about $50. I personally won't bother with it if and until it has a companion app for the iPad/iPhone. A review is at http://www.macnn.com/articles/15/02/...g.made.simple/ and the PushPopcorn site is at http://pushpopcorn.com.

Comment

I have used Tap Forms as a teacher. I found it useful and easy to use. I am now setting up at research log using Tap Forms.

Comment

I forgot about this thread. I did use Tap for a year or so. However, I have migrated to Airtable. It works on Macs, iOS devices and even Windows machines. Unsure about Android.

And it works well and syncs as one works. I would recommend that you check it out at airtable.com.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
                          I did use Tap for a year or so. However, I have migrated to Airtable... I would recommend that you check it out.
                          Bob, what are the advantages of Airtable over Tap? (p.s. I find the support Brendan gives to users of Tap outstanding.)

Comment

Working...
                          X