Adobe Reader

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adobe Reader

I have created a number of charts and saved them as Graphic Files as PDF's. When opened with Preview they display correctly. When opened with Adobe Reader no chart appears, just a blank page. What is going on? I'm sure I have been able to open PDF Charts in the past. I need this facility so I can send charts to PC users. I wonder if there is a size limit for Adobe Reader. My files are about 9MB.

A check of the manual revealed this info which answers my question:
    Another Note: Although Apple's Preview app isn't the only PDF reader available, 3rd party apps may or may not open very large PDF charts properly. As of July 2016, PDFpenPro seems to work with large charts. However, Adobe Acrobat Reader fails on large charts (in particular, more than 200 inches in width or length). GraphicConvert10 also seems to work.

So I just have to make my charts smaller it seems.
    Last edited by Robin Helmond; 28 March 2017, 06:15 AM. Reason: I read the manual!
    Robin
    Victoria, Australia

Re: Adobe Reader

Hi Robin,

I've just experimented by creating a "Pedigree" chart with 7 generations and saved initially as a .png(**) to my desktop. As you say it opens well in Preview.

What I did next was, whilst still open in preview, went to File>Export>Format change to PDF> save.

You should now have two files the same - one as a png and the other as a PDF.

Right-click on the pdf file and select Adobe Reader (you may have to open with other to start with) then add Adobe Reader to the list.

I can't speak for the size aspect as I haven't had that problem - so far.

(**) In case your wondering I download/save my images/documents in the PNG format as I found it was easier to annotate etc. in colours & then save such, rather than jpeg.My colours often would become grey. They are easily converted to jpg when finished.

Edited; Just tried with a descendant chart and have to admit your right. Used many generations>saved as pdf>right-click?selected Adobe> blank pages.

Alan
    iMac 27" (late 2015) 2TB, 24GB Ram, (Monterey 12.3.1) iPad Pro 12.9" 256GB (Ios 14.4), iPhone 6S+ 128GB (Ios 14.4), Reunion 13,

Comment

Re: Adobe Reader

I contacted Adobe who had a look at the problem, and provided the answer below:

I see what you mean and on the face of it the file seems valid. I'm able to open it using a PDF Debugger application and view the page, but Acrobat and Reader can't seem to process the contents, although they are there. My guess is there is something minor wrong with how the file is generated, or with how the application processes it.

I think this is something the Acrobat/Reader developers need to investigate. I'm not sure there's much we can do to help you with it...

I appreciated their honest answer, so hopefully there may be a solution in the future, but in the meantime I will test any pdf I send to others. I sent them the note on the problem in Reunion Help.
      Robin
      Victoria, Australia

Comment

Working...
      X