X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Entering Older Data

I already have a Reunion database.
    I have just discovered some relatives whose data is older than what I have already entered.
    What is the easiest way to enter the older data?
    1). Should I start at the beginning of my existing data and work towards the older data, or
    2). Start at the beginning of the older data and work towards my existing data?
    Kevan Yuck, RU~13.0 (Build: 210616) 64-bit, macOS 11.4
    Search - Hebner, Hein(s), Keuhl, Wilke, Juch, Yuch, Yuck, Yuke

Re: Entering Older Data

I'd work backwards. Many people (me included) started a tree with themselves, and then added parents, and then grandparents. So, backwards is a fairly natural way to add things.

But it's probably a personal choice.

Comment

Originally posted by kyuck View Post
      I already have a Reunion database.
      I have just discovered some relatives whose data is older than what I have already entered.
      What is the easiest way to enter the older data?
      1). Should I start at the beginning of my existing data and work towards the older data, or
      2). Start at the beginning of the older data and work towards my existing data?
      Generally speaking it is most effective to work BACKWARDS in time. Since you already have a working database, it is probably best to add your newly discovered data to your existing information.

An alternative is to create a new (temporary) database and enter this newly discovered data there. Once complete, it is a matter of merging the two files and then connecting the known family links. (This method works best when the new information is extensive and may cloud your master data-file with unnecessary info.)
      Arnold
      -----
      RESEARCHING: FRIESLAND (Holland); NEW BRUNSWICK (Canada); Maine, NYS & NJ (USA)

Comment

Originally posted by baddorfdeb View Post
        I'd work backwards. Many people (me included) started a tree with themselves, and then added parents, and then grandparents. So, backwards is a fairly natural way to add things.

But it's probably a personal choice.
        I will be working backwards. Thanks guys.

OOPS! Thanks people. ;-)))

Kevan
        Last edited by kyuck; 08 June 2016, 04:51 PM.
        Kevan Yuck, RU~13.0 (Build: 210616) 64-bit, macOS 11.4
        Search - Hebner, Hein(s), Keuhl, Wilke, Juch, Yuch, Yuck, Yuke

Comment

Working...
        X