Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frustrated with the photo matching process.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frustrated with the photo matching process.

First, may I ask why the last update I got showed Reunion as v.12? Talk about confusion.

I have been having a lot of problems with Reunion not finding my photos in the specified locations, so I decided to bite the bullet and pull all my family photos into a 'Reunion Pictures' folder and clean up some titles along the way. After spending days creating the new file (which Reunion is supposed to check) I went back to pull a Multimedia Report. I had the Reunion Pictures open beside the open report. The first item showing up in red was also the first item in the new Pictures file, and the name had not been changed. I clicked on the first item and it gave me the usage in the lower panel and when I opened it I was able to drag the photo from the folder and it disappeared. I then attempted to do the same thing with the next item and was unable together any response. I ended up having to leave the Multimedia Report and go to Family view before I could get the App to respond. I tried a new Multimedia Report and I did not all me to create a text edit file.

This is causing me to pull out my hair. What the heck is going on?

Re: Frustrated with the photo matching process.

Originally posted by LyndaCook View Post
    First, may I ask why the last update I got showed Reunion as v.12?
    This is usually caused by choosing to "Keep Both" when installing the update instead of selecting "Replace". This causes OS X to leave the existing version of Reunion 11 in place, and rename the update that you're installing to "Reunion 12". You should always choose "Replace" when installing an update, as outlined in the installation instructions.

You should delete the old Reunion 11 application and rename the Reunion 12 one to Reunion 11.

The first item showing up in red was also the first item in the new Pictures file, and the name had not been changed.
    If the filenames have not been changed, and every file has a unique filename, then go to:

Reunion -> Preferences... , Multimedia

And ensure the folder containing the multimedia is listed under "Multimedia Search Folders", then click "Repair Multimedia Links...". This should force Reunion to relink to the images at their new location (without having to do each one individually). If that doesn't resolve the issue, let us know.

HTH
    Mark Harrison
    Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

I had done everything you recommended, but did it again. I don't know what you changed in the last update, but trying to replace photos is now the most frustrating thing I have done in a long time. The attached screenshot is just a sample. The photo was in my Reunion Pictures folder, but the running of the multimedia links did not pick it up. It has taken me 15 minutes to unlink and add the photo back wherein belongs. Then when I tried to crop the image, all the system did was give me the four handles, but would not allow me to crop to the head shot only.

I have 206 more links that have to be repaired, and I might not live that long! This thing is driving me nuts.

Another glitch that I've been dealing with is if I try to use the list function, clicking on the name I want to open in the family view does not always work. Most of the time it just puts me in an edit mode to change the name. I'm sure that this did not work this way in the past.

Lynda
      Attached Files

Comment

Check the About Reunion in the Reunion menu to see if it is properly showing as registered to you. What I'm thinking is of the possibility that the playfulness with version numbers has thrown the functionality back to demo mode. Of course, if you see that, the solution is to re-enter your registration info.
        Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
        Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
        iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
          Check the About Reunion in the Reunion menu to see if it is properly showing as registered to you. What I'm thinking is of the possibility that the playfulness with version numbers has thrown the functionality back to demo mode. Of course, if you see that, the solution is to re-enter your registration info.
          Good thought, but not the problem. I had deleted the old 12, just wondered how it happened.

Comment

I have 206 more links that have to be repaired, and I might not live that long! This thing is driving me nuts.
            Probably not the problem, but I notice in your attachment that the "Preferred" option isn't on, so the photo shouldn't be displayed in the family view. Are they all that way?
            Dennis J. Cunniff
            Click here to email me

Comment

I had to go back and mark the photos as preferred after I got them cropped. That was just one more irritation. It took me about 5 hours to correct about 20 photos. I found I couldn't just delete the bad ones and add the replacement photos. I had to open the multimedia page and unlink the bad one before I added the replacement. This took multiple clicks and a long wait time as the system searched for the photos. It seems to me that in the past I could just highlight the photo I wanted to remove and hit the delete key. Didn't work today.

Comment

I found I couldn't just delete the bad ones and add the replacement photos. I had to open the multimedia page and unlink the bad one before I added the replacement. This took multiple clicks and a long wait time as the system searched for the photos. It seems to me that in the past I could just highlight the photo I wanted to remove and hit the delete key. Didn't work today.
                Here's something to try. Open the multimedia page and right click on the bad links (so the contextual menu comes up) and select "Reveal in Finder". Then you can drag the file onto its bad link and Reunion should correct things.

Still annoying, but I think faster.
                Dennis J. Cunniff
                Click here to email me

Comment

Thanks Dennis, I'll give it a try. Anything to reduce the time it will take to finish the project.
                  Lynda

Comment

Well I tried what you suggested, but when I right click the offending photo, I do not get anything that sends me to a contextual menu. I still have to unlink the photo and add the new photo.

Comment

Well I tried what you suggested, but when I right click the offending photo, I do not get anything that sends me to a contextual menu. I still have to unlink the photo and add the new photo.
                      Sorry it didn't work. I guess you'll have to slog through it little by little....
                      Dennis J. Cunniff
                      Click here to email me

Comment

No info above as to whether you are mousing or using a touch pad. Try control clicking. BTW, it doesn't "take you to a menu" but rather the menu pops up where your pointer is at.
                        Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
                        Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
                        iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

I use both mouse & track pad, but I finally finished my audit. Still have about a dozen missing photos, but that's something I can fix. What was so frustrating is that it took so many actions to simply replace a photo. Many of the photos were where they were supposed to be, same identification and Reunion would not find them when I did a 'fix' run. Then to make it more aggravating, when I pulled the missing items reports, it would allow me to pull up the missing item by the person's name for maybe 2 or three names, then it would no longer show usage data. I did restarts, reran the Multimedia Reports and same result. Not what I expected after using Reunion for so many years.
                          Lynda

Comment

Working...
                          X