Need help defining a Kinship Relationship

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help defining a Kinship Relationship

I've been looking at kinship charts lately and I'm beginning to think I've been mislabeling my grandparents' kinship relationship. I wonder if anyone could help me figure it out. I've been calling them "Double Half-First Cousins" but I don't think that's accurate.

My grandmother's father and my grandfather's father were half-brothers (to each other).
    My grandmother's mother and my grandfather's mother were half-sisters (to each other).

For example (names changed)

John married Mary. John's half brother David married Mary's half sister Ann. John and Mary's son, Edward, married David and Ann's daughter, Sarah.

What would that make "Edward" and "Sarah?"

Re: Need help defining a Kinship Relationship

It seems to me you're describing the relationship correctly. They are half first cousins through 2 different ancestors, which would make them double half first cousins.

FYI, you can find the relationship between two people in Reunion by going to:

Find

In the Navbar at left, then dragging the two entries from the People sidebar into the "Person 1" and "Person 2" boxes under "Find relationship between two people", then clicking "Find Relationship".

HTH
    Mark Harrison
    Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Re: Need help defining a Kinship Relationship

Thanks for replying and verifying what I had initially thought. I read somewhere that, biologically, double half first cousins are genetically like half-siblings, so I suppose that makes my grandparents genetically 1/4 siblings?

That's a little bit scary!

Thanks also for the tip on the chart. I'll check it out.

Comment

Working...
      X