X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Counting the number of descendants

Hello.
    Is there a way to count the number of descendants produced in a Family History, Register, or Descendants report?
    ... with thanks in advance,
    Alison

Re: Counting the number of descendants

Originally posted by Alison Kilpatrick View Post
    Hello.
    Is there a way to count the number of descendants produced in a Family History, Register, or Descendants report?
    Alison
    Reunion does not do this for you in reports. However, you could count them using the Index at the end of the Family History and Register reports. In a Descendant report, you would need to go through and count each descendant in the body of the report.

On the other hand, if a source person is identified in your family file, Reunion can find the descendants of that source person list them for you. And, at the top of the list window, Reunion will show the number of entries in that list. (The methods for doing this is different depending on which version of Reunion you are using. Therefore, I recommend you search the manual for "find relatives" and "list relatives," respectively. To access the manual, choose Help -> Contents.)

I hope you find this information helpful
    Deb Stuller
    Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

I asked a similar question awhile back. I'm not sure if it is what you are looking for, but I just wanted a simple way to count the descendants of my gr-grandparents.

Here's the thread if you are interested.
      Researching DEBEE, FRERICHS/FREDERICKS, HAHNENENKAMP, JANCO, KOLK, PETRINI, WEISS

http://familytreesandbranches.weebly.com
      http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.....com/~ilrootz/

Comment

Originally posted by Alison Kilpatrick View Post
        Hello.
        Alison
        Another counting method is to use the Mark command. Navigate to the Family View of the person whose descendants you wish to count. Open the Mark panel from the Navbar on the left and adjust the parameters of the Mark Groups command:
        Action: Mark
        Generations: specify how many to include
        Who: “Descendants of…”
        Checkboxes: check “Unmark everybody first”;
        Now click on “Mark”. At the top it will tell you how many people were marked. If the person had multiple spouses, you will have to repeat this for each family view that displays one of the other spouses (but only the ones that had children), *however* you must be sure to uncheck the “Unmark everybody first” option so you don’t erase the previous Mark operations; you want the marking count to be cumulative.

If you are trying to associate this with a report, keep in mind that you may have specified reporting criteria that excluded some of those descendants. To see a list of the marked descendants, click on the arrow button next to “Lists” in the Navbar; in the menu that appears, place your pointer over “Results” and another menu will appear and in that menu click on “Marked People.” This should open a Lists window showing everyone you just marked as descendants.
        Bruce Winton Christopher
        Environment: Reunion 14 build 240325; macOS 10.15.7
        bruce@bwchristopher.com

Comment

Working...
        X