This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Safari disappears when I log in

I have several problems but the most urgent is getting my safari menu bar (hope that is what it is called) back to stay. having reached my age of almost 82 I'm can't make out what is happening to Safari Bar Menu - It disappears as soon as I select Safari from applications and I get a almost white screen which I have trouble understanding. If someone can point me to an explanation I would certainly appreciate it.
    Delbert Curlin
    Reunion 10.0.6 OS X 10.9.2 iphone 3GS
    Searching Curlin, White, McClish,Buckner

Re: Safari disappears when I log in

Originally posted by DelbertCurlin View Post
    I have several problems but the most urgent is getting my safari menu bar (hope that is what it is called) back to stay. having reached my age of almost 82 I'm can't make out what is happening to Safari Bar Menu - It disappears as soon as I select Safari from applications and I get a almost white screen which I have trouble understanding. If someone can point me to an explanation I would certainly appreciate it.
    Could you have possibly selected full screen view? Sort of newish in Yosemite.

To switch back, type control-command-F
    Dennis J. Cunniff
    Click here to email me

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis J. Cunniff View Post
      Could you have possibly selected full screen view? Sort of newish in Yosemite.

To switch back, type control-command-F

Thanks Dennis:
      that seems to have done trick but: what could I have cone to cause it?
      Delbert Curlin
      Reunion 10.0.6 OS X 10.9.2 iphone 3GS
      Searching Curlin, White, McClish,Buckner

Comment

Originally posted by DelbertCurlin View Post
        Thanks Dennis:
        that seems to have done trick but: what could I have cone to cause it?
        Oh, it's easy to switch to full view accidentally (by typing control-command-F, by selecting it from the menu, by clicking on the "green light" button in the upper lefthand corner of a window, and it stays that way until you switch back. )

The "green light" button used to toggle between the two most recent sizes of a window, but in Yosemite it now takes an app in and out of the full screen view. You might also have double clicked Safari's title bar with certain preferences set.
        Dennis J. Cunniff
        Click here to email me

Comment

Maybe I am misunderstanding the question and answers: When I click the green button, the Safari window goes full screen but neither the tool bar or the favorites bar go away. To go back to normal size, just hit the Escape key.

When I first read the question, I thought he might be asking about this for an iPhone or iPad where this is normal behavior. On these devices, just tap in a white area in the top margin and that results in going to the top of the window and bars returning to view.
          Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
          Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
          iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
            Maybe I am misunderstanding the question and answers: When I click the green button, the Safari window goes full screen but neither the tool bar or the favorites bar go away. To go back to normal size, just hit the Escape key.
            Under Yosemite, the system menu bar goes away. It's confusing if you're not expecting it. It will make a temporary appearance if you move your mouse over where it should be, but hitting escape doesn't bring it back. Clicking the green button when it makes an appearance, or control-command-F, will revert to normal.
            Dennis J. Cunniff
            Click here to email me

Comment

Under Yosemite you can "restore" the old behaviour of the green button by holding down the Option key while you click it.

Roger
              Roger Moffat
              http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
              http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

Gentlemen: The green button gives me this. I have not modified the behavior of the button. As you can see, all bars are still present and the Mac is on 10.10.2. My "normal" view of Safari is an 8-9 inch wide window over to the right half of my screen. Hitting the Escape key takes me right back to that.
                Attached Files
                Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
                Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
                iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Working...
                X