X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Folder Colours

Hello all
    I have found a great handy application to colour folders on the iMac.
    This was one I purchased from the Apple APP store called FOLDER COLOR and it works just great, for me.
    Quote from the blurb - Folder Color is a neat tool to customize your Mac OS X folder icon, create colorful and unique folder icons for your computer to classify and manage your folders ..... dah dah dah.... Cost is minimal at the moment, I paid about $7 for Version 2.1.0.
    easy to use for sure just drag the folder image from your finder list onto the F/C folder shown and adjust the colour as required from the Apple colour wheel. It does not work for the finder sidebar list but looks great in sub folders and on the desktop. I will have to organise a colour routine for the family groups folders containing photos etc - each with a distinct colour.
    Looks pretty now...
    I think I remember requests for such a system somehwre and I think this is the dog's biscuit.
    Give it a try and see what you think.
    Noel Fields Australia
    email > nefields@me.com <
    Researching Fields, Majewski, Watson, Hurwood, Parker.

Re: Folder Colours

Currently on sale for $2.99. Looks OK but advise that you read some of the customer reviews first.
    Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
    Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
    iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

An alternative app that will enable folders to be coloured is called XtraFinder which is free. Its available from;

I use it to give a meaningful colour to some of my folders and find it very useful. It has preferences for such things as; Tabs, Features & Add items to the Finder menus.

Disclaimer - not associated with the developer, just a user
      iMac 27" (late 2015) 2TB, 24GB Ram, (Monterey 12.3.1) iPad Pro 12.9" 256GB (Ios 14.4), iPhone 6S+ 128GB (Ios 14.4), Reunion 13,

Comment

Coincidental timing (?) on Facebook's "The Organized Genealogist" page (https://www.facebook.com/groups/orga...ogist/?fref=ts) a thread today on this same topic that has 47 responses, including how to do this on a Mac (without an App) as well as warnings against installing freeware on PCs (not or problem).

I just looked on the App Store and there's a new release "Folder Designer" AU$2.49 that includes an icon within the colour folder. Interesting! plenary of choices.

For those wanting to do it the hard Mac way, here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coiE1W8fGOo

Here are the steps on how to change the folder colour in Mac OS X (Yosemite). Update/ Set folder colour, saturation using Colour picker tools:
        1. Right Click on Folder which you want to change folder color in Yosemite OS, and then click on “Get Info”
        2. Then you can appear folder info in a pop up
        3. Click on folder’s icon (not preview) inside of folder info pop up then go Edit Menu >> select Copy.
        4. Text “Preview” in Spotlight Search after that, you can see a folder window for preview
        5. Now, Click on File Menu >> select New from Clipboard
        6. Tools >> select Adjust Color … >> you can see color picker, choose color from color picker that you want.
        7. Close colour picker tools and Go, Edit menu and choose Select all option
        8. After that again in Edit >> choose Copy option and minimize preview window
        9. Again move on folder info popup, and click on folder’s icon (not preview) inside of folder info pop up then go Edit Menu >> select Paste.
        John in Brisbane, Australia
        Reunion 12 & FTM on iMac, with Reunion & Ancestry on iPad & iPhone
        Ancestry ID: johnmeara1
        GEDmatch: A369974 & Admin for T578930, T249754, A943304, A193103, T826422

Comment

Working...
        X