Checklists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Checklists

Anyone have a way to manage checklists in Reunion? I'm thinking along the lines of a to do checklist.

Re: Checklists

Originally posted by eventide View Post
    Anyone have a way to manage checklists in Reunion? I'm thinking along the lines of a to do checklist.
    Two easy ways, assuming that you are wanting to set up a list of people in your family file that you want to work on:

1. Unmark everyone and Mark the people you want to list.
    2. Find Marked.
    3a. Save the Results under a suitable name. You can have any number of saved lists. But to use this as a checklist you will have to unmark entries as you deal with them and cannot use the Mark facility for anything else.
    3b. Set up a special Flag for your checklist and assign it to the marked people. The manual will tell you how to do this. You can then recall your list any time you want with Find. Remove the flag from each when you have finished with it. The snag here is that you lose any record of the ones you have completed (unless you give them a Done flag).

There may be other ways and I would be interested in hearing them. I am halfway through a list of some 250 people using 3a and the freezing of the Mark facility is a pain. But I have tried 3b in the past and keep forgetting to remove the flag🙁

Comment

Thanks John -

I can try that but I've been using Trello - a 3rd party platform to manage them. I think I may stick with that for now. I'm actually working on managing some multimedia so marking people may or may not be that efficient.

But thanks! I may try it for other use cases.

Comment

Desiree, I would very much be interested in learning more about how you are using Trello in genealogy. I have just downloaded it and started to explore it for another funcation...will you share here or via direct messages? Thank you, reunion@cherylbabbe.com

Comment

How I use it depends on the tasks at hand. You will need to experiment a little, like I am now, to see what works for you. But for example:

Right now I am in the midst of cleaning things up.

I am going through each and every person to make sure that I haven't missed anything and checking to make sure I have sourced all the facts and attached any multimedia I may have missed. Then, I realized how sloppy I had been and put together some tasks in Trello for me to make sure I do along the way.

In Trello I may make a checklist for general tasks, multimedia, sources etc. I've attached a screenshot of how I have it set up now. Not sure its the most efficient way of doing it - but until Reunion has the ability to manage them within the program, its the best way I know how.

I've attached a screenshot to give you an idea of what I am doing for this particular task. I probably should create one more list -a list of every person so I can check it off, but with 800 people it seems a bit daunting.
          Attached Files

Comment

Hi

I am quite new to Reunion and entering in all my information from scratch to ensure I note all sources and work out what I am missing.

I have created my own 'category' under the note section as "TO DO" and then on the front page I have added this as a default field so whenever I go to any person in my tree I can automatically see what I need to do for this person.

(Sorry I am at work at the moment and not in front of the software to give a better description)

I am not sure how (if at all) I can extract this information for everybody but at this stage I can't see that as anything I would want to do.

Nic

Comment

I have been thinking about this for quite a while. I have decided that I need to take a look at the "Logs" section of Reunion...read up about them in the manual...and see if they can be my research logs.

Has anyone used these or looked closely at them to evaluate their usefulness?

Leister team- what do you have to say about them?

Thanks to anyone who can give me some info/advice!

Regards,
              Kaye
              Kaye Mushalik
              -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
              -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
              -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Comment

Originally posted by kmgenealogy View Post
                I have been thinking about this for quite a while. I have decided that I need to take a look at the "Logs" section of Reunion...read up about them in the manual...and see if they can be my research logs.

Has anyone used these or looked closely at them to evaluate their usefulness?
                I started some Logs five years ago when first starting to use Reunion. Then, because Logs are not attached to surnames, families or even individuals, I promptly forgot they were there and didn't discover my (thankfully brief) log entries until a couple years later. I consider them a pretty useless feature of the software, but am willing to reconsider if others have found some way to make them work for them.

I suppose one could create a Log, and then put a flag on the person's record telling you that you have a Log for them, but that's pretty clumsy in my opinion. The ideal solution for a To Do or Research Checklist is for it to be integrated with a family view or a person card, so you are not clicking back and forth trying to figure it all out.

It would be nice to know if this is even on the Wishlist of things being considered by Leister.

Comment

I agree, not crazy about logs fro the purposes of checklists.

Tying it to people is a great idea. I think it would be even better to be able to create your own checklist, either free-form or based on some sort of criteria - people, multimedia, sources etc.

For example- if you have tasks associated with multimedia , like making sure naming conventions are consistent, tying it to people doesn't necessarily make sense. The more flexibility we could have while also being able to rely on internal tools would be great.

Comment

Just a few thoughts:
                    In my opinion the combination of a special note field (ex. To Do, or research or what else) with specific flags is (at least for me) perfect.
                    In the specific Note-field I write the things to do and check one of the special flags.
                    Have flags for several archives; ex. ’Archief Amsterdam’, Archief Haarlem etc.
                    When I visit the 'Archive Amsterdam' I search for that specific flag, mark the people who have that flag and all the things I have to do in Amsterdam are together.
                    Or make a flag 'Census 1870' or 'Newspapers Ohio': make a notification for ex. person A, B, X Z to check something in 'Census 1870'; check also the specific flag and when you are finished, uncheck the flag.

There are lots and lots of possibilities. During courses I gave in Holland, I think that (most) people are hardly aware of the enormous flexibility of Reunion. I prefer using the build-in possibilities instead of external programs.
                    Last edited by fjvanbodegom; 29 March 2018, 05:45 AM.
                    Frans van Bodegom
                    Reunion NL Support Team

Comment

Flags are good I think if your tasks are associated with a person(s) or simple tasks. But for more complex checklists that have multiple subtasks, I for one would rather not put them in the notes field because I can't check them off. I suppose I could add all the subtasks as individual flags and check them off when complete. So thats a thought.

Although, I don't believe you can assign a tag to "all multimedia" items, or to "all sources". So if your tasks are not necessarily person specific, I'm not sure flags work in those cases.

So if we could have a checklist tool, or more robust flagging or to be able to use search criteria to create a list we can check off - that would be great.

Comment

Working...
                      X