This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Source Report for one individual

Same song - second verse. I whined about this in Apr 2013 and handled with a couple of suggested workarounds which are no longer satisfactory.

The challenge: Using Reports, I have been unable to create a "Sources for xxxx" document that includes ALL the sources for the individual which are cited in both Events and Notes (frequently I note an interesting fact in Notes and add a source which is not mentioned in Events.)

My goal: 1. A report that shows only the individual's data (not the spouse, father or mother, etc.);

2. ALL sources - preferably by only selecting the Sources button in the Report window.

Somehow I am hoping that in the last couple of years a magic wand will have been found by one of you gurus. Any ideas? TIA.

Re: Source Report for one individual - Deja vu

Originally posted by darillyn View Post
    ...Using Reports, I have been unable to create a "Sources for xxxx" document that includes ALL the sources for the individual which are cited in both Events and Notes...
    Welp, one of the new features in Reunion 11 comes pretty close to what you asked for.

Show the Sources sidebar.
    Then click "Family" at the top.
    You'll see the sources cited by the husband, wife, and family -- all listed separately.
    If you want a "report" of this info, click the Share button at the bottom of the Sources sidebar.
    Frank Leister
    Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
      Welp, one of the new features in Reunion 11 comes pretty close to what you asked for.

You'll see the sources cited by the husband, wife, and family -- all listed separately.
      If you want a "report" of this info, click the Share button at the bottom of the Sources sidebar.
      Thanks so much, Frank. Off topic, but also thanks for such a fantastic and generally flexible genealogy program - have used for 8 years. Okay, so I appreciate the heads up about the print at the bottom of the family source view, which I had overlooked. BUT, that gives me several pages of sources due to the duplication of so many sources (naturally being used for documentation of several events and also mentioned as a source in Notes.) Other than deleting (will likely take quite a bit of time) is there any other workaround?

Comment

... that gives me several pages of sources due to the duplication of so many sources (naturally being used for documentation of several events and also mentioned as a source in Notes.) Other than deleting (will likely take quite a bit of time) is there any other workaround?
        You can't remove duplicates from the sidebar Sources > Family. Mainly that's because each occurrence in the Sources > Family sidebar can be Control-Right clicked to show you the field where the citation applies. Thus, even though you may see the same source listed several times, each one points to a different field and the Control/Right click shortcut gives you the path to show and highlight the field.

Thank you for the kind comments :-)
        Frank Leister
        Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

You can't remove duplicates from the sidebar Sources > Family. Mainly that's because each occurrence in the Sources > Family sidebar can be Control-Right clicked to show you the field where the citation applies. Thus, even though you may see the same source listed several times, each one points to a different field and the Control/Right click shortcut gives you the path to show and highlight the field.

Thank you for the kind comments :-)
          You're welcome, Frank - the compliments are well deserved.

What you are saying then is that at the current time (hint, hint) there is no way to create a Source Report for a single individual with only a list of the sources and citations used on their person sheet (without the dozens of duplications). For my intended use there is no need for the source usage to be part of the report.

Thanks anyway, appreciate the time --- perhaps I can be more satisfied with a future upgrade that addresses this type of Report. Fingers crossed.

Comment

You're welcome, Frank - the compliments are well deserved.

What you are saying then is that at the current time (hint, hint) there is no way to create a Source Report for a single individual with only a list of the sources and citations used on their person sheet (without the dozens of duplications). For my intended use there is no need for the source usage to be part of the report.

Thanks anyway, appreciate the time --- perhaps I can be more satisfied with a future upgrade that addresses this type of Report. Fingers crossed.
            For Frank, if he is still monitoring this thread: I found an old report from FTM that I used many many years ago, but which I feel would be useful for many Reunion users - The title of the report is "Bibliography of Sources for xxxxxxx". I attempted to reconstruct on a current FTM, but frankly I can't figure out how to use the program any longer (definitely not user friendly as Reunion is). He likely can garner a copy and evaluate for future inclusion in an update or upgrade. Thanks again for your advice.

Comment

More info for persons attempting to create a Sources Report:

1. If using the Report mechanism - when creating a layout, you must check the Misc Notes field as well as all the events, if you want a list of all the Sources for a single individual and, uncheck all areas of the Spouse fields. Of course, check the "include sources" field prior to printing. The sources will be combined for both spouses in the resulting report for the fields that remain checked in the Spouse area.

2. Be aware that if you use the print feature available for the Sources list that is now featured in the couple page (both spouses), the sources you may have included in the Misc. Notes or Notes area are not available - only those that have been used for Events or Facts. (This Sources feature can be reached by selecting Sources on the left column and Family on the right column when the sources appear.)

Comment

...if you use the print feature available for the Sources list that is now featured in the couple page (both spouses), the sources you may have included in the Misc. Notes or Notes area are not available - only those that have been used for Events or Facts...
                You lost me here.

The citations in Name, Fact, Event, and Note fields are included in the sidebar and, if you share the sidebar via the Share button at the bottom, the resulting report.
                Frank Leister
                Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

You lost me here.

The citations in Name, Fact, Event, and Note fields are included in the sidebar and, if you share the sidebar via the Share button at the bottom, the resulting report.
                  So sorry - the first time I tried, I could not find the source/citation that was included in the Notes field, but upon a retest, it was there. Like the carpenter always says: measure once and measure twice! I will edit my earlier reply to keep from confusing any users. Again, sorry.

Comment

I tried out the “Share Sources” feature of the Sources sidebar and in the resulting report I observed that all the sources are truncated at 191 characters. Is it supposed to do that? I did not see that mentioned in the manual (my destination was LibreOffice).
                    Bruce Winton Christopher
                    Environment: Reunion 14 build 240325; macOS 10.15.7
                    bruce@bwchristopher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Christopher View Post
                      I tried out the “Share Sources” feature of the Sources sidebar and in the resulting report I observed that all the sources are truncated at 191 characters. Is it supposed to do that? I did not see that mentioned in the manual (my destination was LibreOffice).
                      I checked on some of mine, and I find the same thing. My destination is Microsoft Word.
                      John Bastin
                      jbastin1@me.com
                      Researching: Bastin, Decker, Brake, Perry, Schmid, Sheppard, Matty, Fox, Orr, Eicher
                      Mac OS X 10.13.4, Reunion 12.0 (Build 180502) 64-bit

Comment

Working...
                      X