This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Formating home page in Dropbox

Lately I have occasions to use Dropbox for posting selective family trees using the web cards. I would select an ancestor of a family line, mark all descendants using the selectable criteria on how much or how little to show and generate the web cards. It works perfectly.

I noticed on the Reunion help pages examples of web publishing as noted here http://www.leisterpro.com/doc/version10/webpub.php

The dropbox example on opening it has a very professional look to it. With pictures and helpful text to aid the user. How can I create such a professional looking opening screen, is this a setting in Reunion or do I need to do extra coding on dropbox to make this happen.

Thanks,
    Hayward...
    Mac Studio, A1 Max, 64GB memory, Sonoma 14.2.1

Re: Formating home page in Dropbox

I created that little sample project a while ago, directly from Reunion 10. There was no extra coding or anything beyond what is provided in Reunion 10.

The key is experimenting with Preferences > Web and making some tasteful choices for the "cover page" and "style." (I believe that's the "Silver" style in the example you mentioned.)

I'd recommend making a small web project and fiddling with the options in...
    • Preferences > Web > Reports
    • Preferences > Web > Style.
    Frank Leister
    Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Thank you Frank, I shall give it a try. I never thought of the preferences settings to manipulate the content of a web report. This is fantastic.

Just some thoughts on posting data on the internet such as Dropbox. I believe it was covered in a previous post; I looked but couldn't find it. I believe using the public folder in dropbox is somewhat secure as it creates a unique url for the wc_toc (which I guess stands for web card table of contents) when you share it. The name public folder creates in my mind "openness to everyone" connotation to it.

When you share the link you have no control on how far it reaches as it can be passed on at will. I know you can remove the files and this will prevent any propagation of uncontrolled access, but it defeats my purpose in soliciting help/support from relatives to identify extended families.

I guess the only alternative is to establish a personal web page with secure access built in. With appropriate web tools you can monitor traffic to your site. I
      Hayward...
      Mac Studio, A1 Max, 64GB memory, Sonoma 14.2.1

Comment

Originally posted by HJKeats View Post
        I believe using the public folder in dropbox is somewhat secure as it creates a unique url for the wc_toc .. when you share it. ...

When you share the link you have no control on how far it reaches as it can be passed on at will. I know you can remove the files and this will prevent any propagation of uncontrolled access, but it defeats my purpose in soliciting help/support from relatives to identify extended families.
        Just today I got a notice from Dropbox saying that with Dropbox Pro, "you can now set passwords and expiration dates on your shared links and grant view-only access to shared folders."

I haven't tried it out yet, and I would guess it's only applicable to Dropbox Pro, but it may be worth taking a second look.
        Dennis J. Cunniff
        Click here to email me

Comment

Working...
        X