This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Internet Data Bases

I am currently using Ancestry as my prime research tool. As I understand it, the tree that I have built on Ancestry can only be modified by me and those that I invite to the tree and authorize as editors.

I was going to start loading my data to FamilySearch but read another thread here that their system allows anyone to modify the tree that has been posted. My intention in loading to FamilySearch was to find data that might not be on Ancestry and also to provide a long term repository of the data I have collected.

Do you have recommendations for other data bases that may be complimentary to Ancestry both for the research aspect and long term data storage?

Thanks, Grant
    ``````````````````````````````
    Grant

Re: Internet Data Bases

The FamilySearch tree is a single-world tree. Meaning they are trying to collaboratively build one tree from everyone's input. It works like WikiPedia - everybody can contributed and edit, but when there are disagreements someone steps in and adjudicates it. I keep my direct ancestors there as "cousin bait" (so that some distant relative will find me). I also have cousin bait in Ancestry and WikiTree. However, my "tree of record" is in my local computer database (Reunion on my Mac laptop) and I make a copy of that to my web site (www.bishir.org - which uses TNG software).

In terms of long term preservation, I submitted my tree to FamilySearch a long time ago and it went into their "Pedigree Resource File". I guess my data is stored in Granite Mountain now. You can submit your tree there if you follow the instructions on this web page:

I also send GEDs to all my cousins.

Don

Comment

Working...
    X