This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dropbox questions

I have wanted to use Dropbox for years to sync my iMac and Laptop. Now I'm one of the many trying to understand this service. Uploading my family file was easy and understandable. It's uploading my other files that I don'/t understand.

I would like to upload all my photos and other genealogy info as a back-up. I have a 1T account. My "Genealogy Folder" is 13 GB with many nested folders. (My family file is not in this folder.) I don't seem to be able to upload folders and get the files within them. Do I have to upload individual files? Will I ever be able to find them without their hierarchy?

I have dragged this large folder into Dropbox but am having difficulty uploading its contents.
    The Dropbox website is of no help.

Many thanks,

Re: Dropbox questions

Originally posted by AnneMurray View Post
    I have wanted to use Dropbox for years to sync my iMac and Laptop. Now I'm one of the many trying to understand this service. Uploading my family file was easy and understandable. It's uploading my other files that I don'/t understand.
    <snip>
    Hi Anne,

I don't know much about Dropbox either but am starting to go through an ebook in my iBooks library titled "Take Control of Dropbox" by Joe Kissell. I highly recommend this series of books. I have several of them that I bought at their website: http://www.takecontrolbooks.com

You can also buy the Dropbox book (and others) in the iBook store (where you can download a sample if you're not sure about buying it).

Disclaimer: I have no connection to the "Take Control" books except as a satisfied customer.
    Kaye Mushalik
    -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
    -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
    -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Comment

Re: Dropbox questions

Anne,

Not sure what underlying problem(s) you're having with DropBox, but it may be that the automated process for linking your Reunion Files may have miss-led you to expect that any files placed in your DropBox Folder will be automatically synced to your DropBox account.

There is a very comprehensive Help section available on the Dropbox site, and a User Forum for reporting any unresolved problems. The following link should help you with the detailed process and explanation for uploading new folders/files: https://www.dropbox.com/help/90

Good luck (and be patient, uploading 13Gb of data in one go is going to take some time!)

Mervyn
      (an occasional DropBox User)

Comment

Working...
      X