This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tip - Make GEDCOM Readable using AppleScript

Over the past few days I’ve been reviewing GEDCOM files. As you can imagine this is very boring and GEDCOM files are difficult to read - ZZZzzzz.

So I created this AppleScript to help make a GEDCOM somewhat more “readable”. This AppleScript indents a Level 1 (e.g., NAME, BIRT, RESI, etc.) by one indent, it indents a Level 2 (e.g., DATE, PLAC, etc.) by two indents, and it indents a Level 3 by three indents, etc.

I would not suggest using the output file to import data into Reunion (or any other family tree-type application). It is purely used to make GEDCOM easier to read when reviewing a GEDCOM file. Indentation was added for readability only.

The enclosed AppleScript requires the text editor TextWranger (free) or BBEdit (cost $) to be available in your Applications folder to operate.

Code:
    --
    -- This AppleScript is to make a GEDCOM file somewhat more "readable".  
    --    It indents a Level 1 by one indent, it indents a Level 2 by two indents, it indents a Level 3 by three indents, etc.

-- This is based on an sample found in The GEDCOM Standard Release 5.5 (released in January 1996)
    --    http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~pmcbride/gedcom/55gcch2.htm
    --    The sample was located in Chapter 2 under the title "Sample Lineage-Linked GEDCOM Transmission"

-- I would not suggest using the output file to import data into Reunion (or any other family tree-type application).
    --    It is purely used to make GEDCOM easier to read when reviewing a GEDCOM file.
    --    Indentation was added for readability only.
    --

-- get GEDCOM file to operate on
    set GEDinFile to (choose file with prompt "Choose GEDCOM File" of type {"ged"})
    set file_to_copy to quoted form of POSIX path of GEDinFile
    set GEDoutFile to (GEDinFile & " (w indents).txt" as string)
    set target_file to quoted form of POSIX path of GEDoutFile

-- copy original GEDCOM file to a new file
    try
    	do shell script "cp " & file_to_copy & space & target_file

on error errorMsg number errorNum -- Something bad happened
    	display dialog errorMsg & "
     Error Number = " & errorNum
    	return
    end try

tell application "TextWrangler" --  or "BBEdit"

open GEDoutFile -- open up the copy - we don't want to mess up the original!

-- Level 0
    	--    Look for the beginning of a new record.  The beginning of a new record is indicated by a line whose level number is 0 (zero).
    	--    add a new line before a Level 0  - just to make it easier on the eye
    	--
    	replace "^(0 @[@A-Z]*)(.*$)" using "\\n&" searching in text of text document 1 options {search mode:grep, starting at top:false, wrap around:false, backwards:false, case sensitive:false, match words:false, extend selection:false}

-- Level 1
    	--    Look for Level 1 information  
    	--    add a one tab before a Level 1  - just to make it easier on the eye
    	--
    	replace "^(1 [_A-Z][A-Z]*)(.*$)" using "\\t\\1\\t\\t\\2" searching in text of text document 1 options {search mode:grep, starting at top:false, wrap around:false, backwards:false, case sensitive:false, match words:false, extend selection:false}

-- Level 2
    	--    Look for Level 2 information  
    	--    add two tabs before a Level 2
    	--
    	replace "^(2 [_A-Z][A-Z]*)(.*$)" using "\\t\\t\\1\\t\\t\\2" searching in text of text document 1 options {search mode:grep, starting at top:false, wrap around:false, backwards:false, case sensitive:false, match words:false, extend selection:false}

-- Level 3
    	--    Look for Level 3 information  
    	--    add three tabs before a Level 3
    	--
    	replace "^(3 [_A-Z][A-Z]*)(.*$)" using "\\t\\t\\t\\1\\t\\t\\2" searching in text of text document 1 options {search mode:grep, starting at top:false, wrap around:false, backwards:false, case sensitive:false, match words:false, extend selection:false}

-- Level 4
    	--    Look for Level 4 information  
    	--    add four tabs before a Level 4
    	--
    	replace "^(4 [_A-Z][A-Z]*)(.*$)" using "\\t\\t\\t\\t\\1\\t\\t\\2" searching in text of text document 1 options {search mode:grep, starting at top:false, wrap around:false, backwards:false, case sensitive:false, match words:false, extend selection:false}

-- Level 5
    	--    Look for Level 5 information  
    	--    add five tabs before a Level 5
    	--
    	replace "^(5 [_A-Z][A-Z]*)(.*$)" using "\\t\\t\\t\\t\\t\\1\\t\\t\\2" searching in text of text document 1 options {search mode:grep, starting at top:false, wrap around:false, backwards:false, case sensitive:false, match words:false, extend selection:false}

save (GEDoutFile as alias)

end tell

Details:
    The idea for this came from “The GEDCOM Standard Release 5.5” (released in January 1996) at http://homepages.rootsweb.ancestry.c...om/55gcch2.htm
    The example found was located in Chapter 2 under the section titled "Sample Lineage-Linked GEDCOM Transmission"

This AppleScript will indent up to 5 Levels (mostly CONC) since that is all I found when looking thru my Reunion & Ancestry.com GEDCOM files. The AppleScript can be easily modified to do additional Levels.

You can download TextWrangler at http://www.barebones.com/products/textwrangler/
    Place TextWrangler or BBEdit in your Applications folder and then run this Applescript.

A family tree with 1,400 individuals that produces a GEDCOM with 40,000 lines completes in about about 15 seconds.

Hope this helps someone!
    Jon

PS - a special shout-out to MacScripter at http://macscripter.net/index.php for their excellent AppleScript forums.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jcmurphy; 20 August 2014, 11:33 AM. Reason: added a single line that includes a shout-out for assistance
    Jon

iMac late-2015 (iMac 17,1) and macOS Sierra version 11.12.x
    Reunion 11.x & Safari 10.x

Re: Tip - Make GEDCOM Readable using AppleScript

Jon

Thanks for the script. It does make reading a Gedcom much more readable.

Comment

[QUOTE=jcmurphy;41811]Over the past few days I

Comment

Originally posted by John Hill View Post
        This [script] seems to leave TextWrangler open. Is this unavoidable?
        I think this added at the end should do the job, but I haven't tested it.

tell application "TextWrangler"
        quit
        end tell
        Dennis J. Cunniff
        Click here to email me

Comment

Originally posted by John Hill View Post

But it seems to leave TextWrangler open. Is this unavoidable?
          I had left Textwrangler open so I could review the indented results. To quit Textwrangler add a "close documents" and a "quit" immediately after the save.

Code:

close documents
          	quit

end tell
          Jon

Comment

Originally posted by jcmurphy View Post
            I had left Textwrangler open so I could review the indented results. To quit Textwrangler add a "close documents" and a "quit" immediately after the save.

Code:

close documents
            	quit

end tell
            Fair enough. I have noted this but for the present will leave well alone.

John.

Comment

Feel free to make any changes to the AppleScript!
              Jon

Comment

Working...
              X