X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mavericks Discussion

Originally posted by rclrocco View Post
    I'm with you Byron S, and usually in the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" club.

But now I have a dilemma. I'm still on Snow Leopard on an early 2008 iMac, but want to down load SketchUp Pro 2013, both for work and to use occasionally with Reunion. But the 2013 version of SketchUp Pro will only work with Lion OSX and later. Question: I'm a little wary of upgrading all the way up to Mavericks as yet - so can I just upgrade to Mountain Lion for now?

Are those already on Mavericks generally happy with it??
    I have a late model 2010 MacBook Pro and am running Mavericks. I have found that all of the applications I use on a daily basis (including Reunion v10) to play nice with the new operating system. The most notable differences are the longer boot-up time and some nice additions to file control features.

There are a few known issues with Mavericks, but none that impact the average user. All I have heard in the way of issues pertain to the use of Internet Protocols when building user interactive web pages
    Arnold
    -----
    RESEARCHING: FRIESLAND (Holland); NEW BRUNSWICK (Canada); Maine, NYS & NJ (USA)

Comment

Originally posted by alan View Post
      .......Apple Mail app. You can no longer add multiple addresses to either the To address bar or to Bcc cells automatically. Instead you have to click on the (+) icon on the right of the address slot and add the addresses one by one...........
      Previously, if one drug a list of addresses that were separated either tab or paragraph, Mail processed correctly. I have discovered that it is only accepting comma separated (CSV) lists now. Hopefully, they will fix this soon. (Note: "Back in the day" there were email programs that only understood comma separation.)
      Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
      Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
      iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Re: Reunion and new Mac OS Mavericks

Originally posted by Mary Arthur View Post
        funny, I am impressed that Apple continues to improve their products, make them backward compatible, and, fairly cheaply!
        I would be more impressed if they actually were backward compatible - but have you encountered the new Pages which won't even open an RTF file?

I've had to buy an app to rescue the stuff I had in files made with Appleworks - and there are still some files I wrote years ago with an early version of Clarisworks which seem to be lost for ever! They're probably not important - but they might have been!

Jamie.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnbarroch View Post
          I would be more impressed if they actually were backward compatible - but have you encountered the new Pages which won't even open an RTF file?

I've had to buy an app to rescue the stuff I had in files made with Appleworks - and there are still some files I wrote years ago with an early version of Clarisworks which seem to be lost for ever! They're probably not important - but they might have been!

Jamie.
          Could you tell me what app you found? My husband is locked out of his Appleworks chapters of a book he started years ago....
          Thank you. Terri
          Terri Works - Fifth Generation Californian
          Using Reunion 11 and High Sierra OS

Comment

Regarding the upgraded version of Pages that does not open RTF files - are you aware that if you are upgrading from the Previous version, the old version is not deleted from your machine. If you look in Applications>iWork09 you will find the old version in there - still working and able to open RTF files......

Comment

I'm still on 10.6.8, but I've investigated the rtf issue ahead of an upgrade. Pages has no import function that I'm aware of, you just drag items into a text or other box and I was told in my local MUG that you can still drag 'n' drop rtf as before. [I hope I'm right as almost al my textual files are rtf from Bean.]

What it won't now do is export rtf, but again you can copy any txt into an rtf editor to get it out if you need to.

HTH, Colin

Comment

Originally posted by Terri Works View Post
                Could you tell me what app you found? My husband is locked out of his Appleworks chapters of a book he started years ago....
                Thank you. Terri
                How annoying, Apple are so irritating sometimes - it seems so gratuitously obstructive of them!
                I know it's possible to work round the inability of Pages 5 to use rtf files but WHY would they make us use work-rounds? Rtf files are common and useful!

Anyway, try Zamzar, I have used that in the past, a free facility at http://www.zamzar.com/convert/docx-to-doc/
                or docXConverter from Panergy at http://www.panergy-software.com/products/docxconverter/
                which seems to work perfectly except with some very old files.

Jamie.

Comment

Have they changed Text Edit with Mavericks? Text Edit saves it's file in rtf as a default.

Comment

How annoying, Apple are so irritating sometimes - it seems so gratuitously obstructive of them!......... but WHY would they make us use work-rounds? Rtf files are common and useful! ..........
                    Many of the left behind features came back with the 5.0.1 update in mid-November. I fully doubt that they will leave RTF conversion or sending as a Gmail email attachment on the shelf. My opinion, of course, but I think what may have happened is the software people had to meet a deadline -- the October dog & pony show -- and had to make the choice of what to leave for incremental updates. I wouldn't be at all surprised if there is a 5.0.2 update within a month or two that brings back RTF conversion, etc.

IMHO Pages 5 is vastly superior to the previous version. With the inspector as a sidebar that is context sensitive, my work has really sped up. The tables feature still runs way behind compared to MS Word. I have two monthly reports with extensive tables; those two reports are the only reason that I ever use Word (an old version).

Comment

Thanks, Bob, I daresay you're right - in that case, why can't they say so? Then no-one would have to worry!
                      Jamie.

Comment

....why can't they say so? Then no-one would have to worry!
                        Jamie.
                        Sigh! Doesn't seem to be Apple's way of doing things!

Comment

There seem to be a few less than complimentary reactions to the new Mavericks OS (and iOS7, but thats another story)

Please could anyone who has made the upgrade confirm that my previous emails, ie my inbox and sent items; and my entire iPhoto collection are likely to survive the upgrade process and be fully available once the upgrade is done. It looks like Reunion is the easiest application to deal with - I assume that all my multimedia items and links would remain untouched?

I have an iMac and my upgrade would be from Snow Leopard, and I understand that if I upgrade, there is no going back.
                          Rupert

Researching Large; Cuddon; Ford, Gadsdon and Fletcher

Comment

I upgraded to Mavericks the day it was released ( iMac and MacBook Pro) and have never had an issue with any programs or data. In fact, I do not recall having difficulty with any of the previous OS upgrades as Apple has released them. Maybe, I am just lucky or have an overly simplified setup compared to most.
                            Tom Brown

Comment

Originally posted by rclrocco View Post
                              There seem to be a few less than complimentary reactions to the new Mavericks OS (and iOS7, but thats another story)

Please could anyone who has made the upgrade confirm that my previous emails, ie my inbox and sent items; and my entire iPhoto collection are likely to survive the upgrade process and be fully available once the upgrade is done. It looks like Reunion is the easiest application to deal with - I assume that all my multimedia items and links would remain untouched?

I have an iMac and my upgrade would be from Snow Leopard, and I understand that if I upgrade, there is no going back.
                              If you first make a good backup of everything on your hard drive, you can always go back. But if you don't have a backup, all sorts of bad things can happen at anytime--not just during an upgrade.
                              John McGee Leggett, Jr.
                              Late 2014 MacMini, MacOS Mojave 10.14.3, Reunion 12, Safari 12.0.3
                              Leggett Booth McGee King Coulter Morton Ashley Douglas Ranard Maners

Comment

I fully understand the value of a good backup John. But perhaps you misunderstood. I meant that once you upgrade, there is no reverting to a previous OS. As I understand it, if I don't like Mavericks once I upgrade, tough, I'm stuck with it.

Thats why I'm particularly keen to know that my emails and iPhoto library, multimedia items will survive the process without me having to do anything.
                                Rupert

Researching Large; Cuddon; Ford, Gadsdon and Fletcher

Comment

Working...
                                X