X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scanning: Color/B&W, or Grayscale?

Hello all,
    I am sure that this has been discussed but a search did not find what I want! I have discussed it with another member but would like the group to chime in.

Trying to have the best of all worlds, I have been scanning all my photos in color, at a 600 dpi and in TIFF format. This I understood would give me the best flexibility for what I might need in the future. However, I am finding that when scanning black and white photos in color, they often have a "bloom" or halo around the image. Has anyone discovered a way to do this scan in color without this effect occurring?

Thanks for your input,
    Frank
    Frank Zwolinski
    Researching: Zwolinski, Zubris, Ward, Wichlacz, Six, Sidney/Sypniewskie, Rickner, Mulligan, McElroy, Maciejewski, Loisy, Lindsay, Konjey, Konieczki, Janick, Ellis, Cornish, Chlebowski, Sass, Soch.
    MacBook Pro, OS X 10.8.5, Reunion 11, FireFox 38.0.5, Safari 6.2.2

Re: Scanning: Color/B&W, or Grayscale?

Frank,

I don't get a color bloom or halo on my scans. It could be an artifact of your scanner. Also, make sure you are scanning in at least 24 bit color. You might be scanning in 8 bit or 16 bit or something.

I'm using an Epson Perfection V600 Photo scanner. Cost about $200 on Amazon.

Don

Comment

Did you try scanning 600 dpi to JPEG format to see if that made a difference? If so, you could scan to JPEG and then, immediately, change the photo to TIFF format via the Apple Preview app.

I have my scanner scan right to Preview in case I want to make any change in format.

I'm using the Epson Perfection V370 scanner which is $110 at Amazon. Has great software and the ability to scan slides and negatives plus a side opening lid which makes it easier to scan books and oversize objects (in parts which can be "stitched" together).
      Kaye Mushalik
      -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
      -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
      -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Comment

Don,

Thank you for your thoughts, but I cannot find a way to tell what "bit" I am scanning in. I have an Epson Perfection 610, which has served me well over the years and still works fine. There is no listing for preferences so I am stumped as where to look. Do you have any hints?

Thanks again,
        Frank
        Frank Zwolinski
        Researching: Zwolinski, Zubris, Ward, Wichlacz, Six, Sidney/Sypniewskie, Rickner, Mulligan, McElroy, Maciejewski, Loisy, Lindsay, Konjey, Konieczki, Janick, Ellis, Cornish, Chlebowski, Sass, Soch.

Comment

Originally posted by kmgenealogy View Post
          Did you try scanning 600 dpi to JPEG format to see if that made a difference? If so, you could scan to JPEG and then, immediately, change the photo to TIFF format via the Apple Preview app.

I have my scanner scan right to Preview in case I want to make any change in format.

I'm using the Epson Perfection V370 scanner which is $110 at Amazon. Has great software and the ability to scan slides and negatives plus a side opening lid which makes it easier to scan books and oversize objects (in parts which can be "stitched" together).
          Hi Kaye,
          I will try that but If you scan to JPEG and then change to TIFF does the scan actually have the resolution of a TIFF? A bit of Greek to me!
          Thanks,
          Frank
          Frank Zwolinski

Comment

Frank - it seems that every scanner model has different software. Look for an "expert mode" or some such designation. Usually they have a user interface for casual users and another one for more advanced users. The bit depth is probably in the expert interface. Check the Epson web site for documentation on your scanner and you might find bit depth mentioned there.
            Don

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Zwolinski View Post
              .........but I cannot find a way to tell what "bit" I am scanning in. I have an Epson Perfection 610........
              Frank.... There's this real neat tool called Google. Anyway, use this link to get the brochure for that model: https://files.support.epson.com/pdf/perf61/perf61sl.pdf

In color, 36 bits external or 24 internal; grayscale 12 internal or 8 external.

If you are scanning just to display on screen, there is no reason to scan at such a high resolution.
              Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
              Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
              iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
                Frank.... There's this real neat tool called Google. Anyway, use this link to get the brochure for that model: https://files.support.epson.com/pdf/perf61/perf61sl.pdf

In color, 36 bits external or 24 internal; grayscale 12 internal or 8 external.

If you are scanning just to display on screen, there is no reason to scan at such a high resolution.
                Bob,
                Thanks! My reason for wanting to know the "bit" was because Don said that I should be scanning in at least 24 bit color--I guess I am. However the on-screen controls for the scanner do not have an adjustment for this. But of course all this started because I was having the halo effect on my B/W photos when scanned in color. I had understood that scanning in color is the best way to preserve as much detail as possible.

OH, these scans are for my permanent picture file, not just for viewing on the screen. These pictures are saved for any other uses I may need, sending to family, printing, editing, etc.

So, my question is still the same: has anyone else scanned a black and white in color, at 600 dpi and in TIFF format and had the scan show up wit a rainbow halo around the images?

Thanks to all,
                Frank
                Frank Zwolinski

Comment

I'm curious to know if you see this on effect on all of your B&W photos that you scan, or just a subset? While I have not seen this effect, I also wonder if it might depend on the paper the photo was printed on - perhaps you are seeing an effect caused by the surface of the print, in combination with your scanner.

Just some thoughts.

So, my question is still the same: has anyone else scanned a black and white in color, at 600 dpi and in TIFF format and had the scan show up wit a rainbow halo around the images?

Comment

Hi William,

Many, but not all, of my black and White photos scanned in color have this occurring. I do not think that it is the paper of the photo.
                    It is more pronounced when the photo is enlarged.

Thanks,
                    Frank
                    Frank Zwolinski

Comment

Frank,

Can you email me an example if it isn't too huge? worth@ucla.edu

If you convert it to JPG or another format does the halo go away?

Don

Comment

Hello all
                        Just butting in here with a reply. I remember reading years ago in ReunionTalk.
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~#~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        Re: Old wedding portrait customs
                        The scanned photo exhibits a fair amount of "silver bloom" on the surface of the print. This is a function of the scanning process. It exists because of the original processing which I won't go into here.

This can easily be eliminated.

May I suggest that, instead of scanning the photograph, you take a high quality digital photograph of the original print and you will find that the silver bloom will disappear. You may need to make a few minor adjustments using digital image management software.

Contact me offline for further guidance.

Nic Maennling
                        Lanark, Ontario, Canada
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        Two points as I am puzzled as to why you have scanned a black and white photo in colour?
                        Secondly about the above 'solution', I too would suggest taking a digital photograph in dull conditions where no colours would interfere. I have used this before as *some* black and white photos seem to make the scan 'bloom' at any setting.
                        Another trick I have used is to make a couple of white card, part frame mounts, cut on right angle and used to make a temp frame. Adjust to suit and crop everything out from the photo image.
                        The resulting 'mount material frame' can be cropped out on your computer.
                        If you absolutely need to scan in colour, have you tried to convert the resulting image to black and white.?
                        Hope this helps with those troublesome scans. If all else fails, get a new scanner.
                        Good luck
                        Noel in OZ.
                        Noel Fields Australia
                        email > nefields@me.com <
                        Researching Fields, Majewski, Watson, Hurwood, Parker.

Comment

Re: Scanning: Color/B&amp;W, or Grayscale?

Originally posted by feelsrgreen View Post
                          I am puzzled as to why you have scanned a black and white photo in colour?
                          The main reason to scan black and white's in color is that you have more digital "information" should you need to fix problems in them in a photo editor. For example, often the dirt and stains are a different color than the photographic image, and there are ways to eliminate the crud, while keeping the image more or less intact. For example, if someone marks the photo in ball-point pen, you can drop the blue out of the photo and the remaining color channels have an image where the pen marks almost disappear. Stains that are yellow or brown can be dropped out similarly.

The gelatin silver photos that you mention are another case in point. They were popular especially between the 1900s and the 1930s but, as they age, they undergo a chemical transformation that raises the silver to the surface where it reflects.

In the old days, the way I got around this was to use a copy stand and shoot photos of them with polarized light. I had two polarizing filters that I held over the gooseneck lights on my stand, and turned a polarizing filter on my camera until the reflections were gone. It worked like a charm.

These days, I just scan them into PhotoShop in color and twiddle the color channels (usually the red channel) to drop out the blue cast that the silvering takes on. That's usually pretty effective in darkening the blacks and improving the contrast overall.

Don
                          Last edited by donworth; 02 August 2014, 01:57 AM.

Comment

Hi William,

Many, but not all, of my black and White photos scanned in color have this occurring. I do not think that it is the paper of the photo.
                            It is more pronounced when the photo is enlarged.

Thanks,
                            Frank
                            From someone who has had extensive experience in a photo lab and using scanners... have to ask a few questions.

Is the print on glossy or matte finish paper? The glossy paper usually scans without incident. Matte finish sometimes has artifacts.

What software are you using to scan with?

Allen

Comment

<snip>
                              Trying to have the best of all worlds, I have been scanning all my photos in color, at a 600 dpi and in TIFF format. This I understood would give me the best flexibility for what I might need in the future. However, I am finding that when scanning black and white photos in color, they often have a "bloom" or halo around the image. Has anyone discovered a way to do this scan in color without this effect occurring?

Thanks for your input,
                              Frank
                              My regular HP Photosmart C309a series all-in-one (ca. 2009) has a Descreen button in the scanner setup.
                              According to this article from ScanTips - http://www.scantips.com/basics6b.html - using the Descreen button could help to get rid of things like this.

Hope this is helpful.
                              Last edited by kmgenealogy; 23 May 2015, 02:20 PM.
                              Kaye Mushalik
                              -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
                              -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
                              -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Comment

Working...
                              X