Exporting from Tree View

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exporting from Tree View

I was wondering if there is a way to export the trees shown in Tree View. If not, I guess I have a request to either allow that. Also, I like the interactive tree editing in Tree View, and would love to see that in the Chart View.

Obviously you can edit much more in Chart View, but it would be nice if you could play with chart like you can in Tree View, and then once you've gotten it to where you want, unlock the chart to allow full editing.

For example you start with a chart, switch from one type of chart to another, change the number generations up or down, change who the focus of the chart is, and have it update just like in Tree View, but then be able to click a button and be able to fine-tune the chart like you currently can in Chart View.

Also, is there a way to create the same chart as in Tree View in Chart View? I like the separation of spouses when both parents are known, but the combination of blue and pink into the same box when only one set of parents is known. I don't see a way to do that in Chart View.

Re: Exporting from Tree View

Originally posted by philipt18 View Post
    I was wondering if there is a way to export the trees shown in Tree View.
    Click on the blue box with the up arrow at the bottom left, select Preview/Print, and then use the File menu to export to PDF.

For example you start with a chart, switch from one type of chart to another, change the number generations up or down, change who the focus of the chart is, and have it update just like in Tree View, but then be able to click a button and be able to fine-tune the chart like you currently can in Chart View.
    You probably know you can do all that from the family file, but obviously without the convenience of being able to mouse around a graphic representation. This is probably something to post to the wish list.

Also, is there a way to create the same chart as in Tree View in Chart View? I like the separation of spouses when both parents are known, but the combination of blue and pink into the same box when only one set of parents is known. I don't see a way to do that in Chart View.
    I really like the hourglass chart format in the Tree View, which looks like an ancestor chart and descendant chart spliced together. The hourglass chart in the chart editor is a layout option for the Relative Chart. (Go to the Charts panel, select Relative, then select Hourglass from the Layout popup menu.) While it covers the same people, it is a pruned version of a relative chart, with the relative chart's format for ancestors' connecting lines. You can get the Tree View version of an hourglass chart in the chart editor by manually combining an ancestor chart and a descendant chart.

Regarding combining spouses in boxes, I think it's the case for both the Tree View and the chart editor that ancestors will have separate boxes for spouses, and descendants will have combined boxes. I'd be interested in seeing a case where that's not true.
    Last edited by ttl; 10 October 2018, 10:06 AM.
    Tim Lundin
    Heartland Family Graphics
    http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Working...
    X