tricky marriage situation - how to record

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tricky marriage situation - how to record

Any ideas on how to best record this in reunion?

My Great-Uncle Jack, came to the US for whatever reason using his brother's name. He married my Aunt as "Albert Starkey". He never really lives as Albert, he is recorded as Jack in census and other records. 10 years later he marries her under his real name "Jack Starkey". They don't "divorce" in between. I don't see a way to enter a second marriage anywhere. Plus there's that assumed name he was using...

Re: tricky marriage situation - how to record

IMHO, The 1st marriage is legal and binding; the 2nd is just a formality and isn't a remarriage as much as a renewal of vows. It's a way to record a name change only.
    rMBP, 15", 2.8GHz i7, 16G RAM, Reunion 12.0, iPhone 12 Pro Max, ReunionTouch

Comment

Perhaps, but how should I record it in Reunion? I have 2 marriage licenses and 2 marriage certificates. Reunion doesn't give a way to add in a second marriage event that I am aware of.

Comment

Originally posted by eventide View Post
        Perhaps, but how should I record it in Reunion? I have 2 marriage licenses and 2 marriage certificates. Reunion doesn't give a way to add in a second marriage event that I am aware of.
        When you have the Family/Marriage screen open, click on the Events tab and you can create a new event there that you might call "2nd Marriage" and then record the details there.

Roger
        Roger Moffat
        http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
        http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

I'm coming to this late, but I had a thought that I hadn't seen in the thread. What if you recorded one marriage as a Marriage Event (Banns or Contract) and the other as the actual marriage?

I would tend to use the first marriage as the actual marriage to be sensitive to any children of that marriage. (Presumably they would have been born within the first 10 years.)

I'd put the second marriage in Marriage Contract and note the details (remarried as Jack...)

Hope that helps!

Comment

Thanks all. Decided to follow Roger's advice and just add another marriage event under the Marriage / Events section.

Comment

Working...
            X