Exclude Specific People from Gedcom Export

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exclude Specific People from Gedcom Export

I would like to exclude an illegitimate child, her mother, her husband and her two children from Gedcom exports. I use the Gedcom to export to my TNG genealogy web site and I do not want there to be any hint of these five people. I have looked at using Marking and Privacy to accomplish this, but can't figure out a way. The only way I have managed to accomplish this, so far, is to edit the Gedcom file after it is created. There must be an easier way. Any ideas?

Re: Exclude Specific People from Gedcom Export

Originally posted by Bill Desjardin View Post
    I would like to exclude an illegitimate child, her mother, her husband and her two children from Gedcom exports. I use the Gedcom to export to my TNG genealogy web site and I do not want there to be any hint of these five people. I have looked at using Marking and Privacy to accomplish this, but can't figure out a way. The only way I have managed to accomplish this, so far, is to edit the Gedcom file after it is created. There must be an easier way. Any ideas?
    You can give those people a specific Flag, then

1 - in Reunion Preferences ------> Privacy and Sensitivity you can define there "Who is Private - People with this flag checked" - put a check mark beside that options

2 - in the GEDCOM export dialog check the box for "Use Privacy Filtering".

Roger
    Roger Moffat
    http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
    http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

Originally posted by theKiwi View Post
      You can give those people a specific Flag, then

1 - in Reunion Preferences ------> Privacy and Sensitivity you can define there "Who is Private - People with this flag checked" - put a check mark beside that options

2 - in the GEDCOM export dialog check the box for "Use Privacy Filtering".

Roger
      I tried that. That allows me to omit the names for the private people, but they still are included in the Gedcom export. Unfortunately, that creates an additional unknown family associated with the father of the illegitimate child. I need the private people to be completely missing from the export.

Thanks

Comment

When you were in the Preference ------> Privacy and Sensitivity, did you make the setting of "What to do with Private People" to Omit from the pop up menu?

Roger
        Roger Moffat
        http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
        http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Desjardin View Post
          Mark everyone in the FamilyFile, then Unmark the people you wish to exclude. Select "Marked people only" when you Export the GEDCOM.

But be sure to check that this has done exactly what you want before sending off the GEDCOM!

I don't recommend editing GEDCOM files unless you are very familiar with the format; it's very easy to leave bits dangling...

Comment

Originally posted by theKiwi View Post
            When you were in the Preference ------> Privacy and Sensitivity, did you make the setting of "What to do with Private People" to Omit from the pop up menu?

Roger
            Yes. Omit is a choice for what to do with the name of the private person. I don't see an omit choice for what to do with the person. When I select omit for the name, the person is still included in the Gedcom, with most information missing but with a name of unnamed.

Bill

Comment

Originally posted by John Hill View Post
              Mark everyone in the FamilyFile, then Unmark the people you wish to exclude. Select "Marked people only" when you Export the GEDCOM.

But be sure to check that this has done exactly what you want before sending off the GEDCOM!

I don't recommend editing GEDCOM files unless you are very familiar with the format; it's very easy to leave bits dangling...
              That almost gets my desired result. Unfortunately, the export includes marked people AND THEIR SPOUSES. That leaves me needing to manually remove the illegitimate child's mother's individual record and the mother's family record with the father from the Gedcom.

This method leaves me with less Gedcom editing than before, but I think that I need to send in a Wish List request.

Thanks Bill

Comment

Hi Bill,

I believe there is a work around that may get the results you'd like. First, though, I want to make sure I understand the situation.

If I'm understanding you have a male that had an illegitimate child and you want to exclude that child along with the child's mother/husband/children, but not the child's father. Is that correct?

If so, go to the family record for the male and the child's mother in the Family View -- where the illegitimate child appears in the Children section of the Family View.

Then, drag the male's spouse button into the Clipboard sidebar. This should unlink him from the illegitimate child and her mother, leaving a family record with just the mother and child (and mother's parents, if present).

Then, export the GEDCOM of just marked people.

After exporting, drag the male back into the empty spouse button (the one he was dragged out of).

HTH
                Mark Harrison
                Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                  Hi Bill,

I believe there is a work around that may get the results you'd like. First, though, I want to make sure I understand the situation.

If I'm understanding you have a male that had an illegitimate child and you want to exclude that child along with the child's mother/husband/children, but not the child's father. Is that correct?

If so, go to the family record for the male and the child's mother in the Family View -- where the illegitimate child appears in the Children section of the Family View.

Then, drag the male's spouse button into the Clipboard sidebar. This should unlink him from the illegitimate child and her mother, leaving a family record with just the mother and child (and mother's parents, if present).

Then, export the GEDCOM of just marked people.

After exporting, drag the male back into the empty spouse button (the one he was dragged out of).

HTH
                  Your understanding of what I want to do is exactly right. Your workaround works great.

Thanks a lot for your help. I did post a message in the Wish List area for a change to the GEDCOM export setup that would make this even easier. Please consider, if it makes any sense technically and is not too difficult.

Thanks again.
                  Bill Desjardin

Comment

Working...
                  X