Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reunion Self Update

Hooray!!!!

This morning when I opened Reunion 12 I was greeted with the familiar "an update is available" screen.

What impressed me was that now Reunion closes itself, downloads the update, applies it itself and then reopens - Hooray - a much simpler update process that doesn't leave my Downloads folder with multiple copies of the Reunion download.

Is this being done with Sparkle update frameworks?

Bravo!!

Roger
    Roger Moffat
    http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
    http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Re: Reunion Self Update

Originally posted by theKiwi View Post
    Yep!
    Frank Leister
    Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

now Reunion closes itself, downloads the update, applies it itself and then reopens - Hooray - a much simpler update process that doesn't leave my Downloads folder with multiple copies of the Reunion download.
      Roger
      Does this update method preserve the prior version of Reunion in the Applications folder? If not, I'm going to stick with the old method.
      Bruce Winton Christopher
      Environment: Reunion 14 build 240325; macOS 10.15.7
      bruce@bwchristopher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Christopher View Post
        Does this update method preserve the prior version of Reunion in the Applications folder?
        Your existing copy of the Reunion application is updated in place, there are no older copies of Reunion saved.

Please note that we strongly advise against having multiple copies of Reunion on your system. If for some reason you need to access a previous build of Reunion you can always restore it from a Time Machine backup.
        Gregg Witmer
        Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Frank or Gregg: A question. I only open Reunion a couple times monthly because I keep it running 24/7/365. So I mostly depend on the weekly check feature to let me know about updates.

My question is will the weekly check trigger an automatic update? If yes, can I turn it off as I don't want automatic updates on anything on my computers and other devices?
          Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
          Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
          iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
            ...will the weekly check trigger an automatic update?
            By 'automatic' I am assuming you mean that Reunion updates itself without your consent. Reunion does not do that -- and will never do an 'automatic' update.

What is being discussed here is Reunion doing a 'self' update that is triggered by you when you click the "Update Now" button in the Check for Updates window (which appears when an newer build of Reunion is available). There is nothing to turn off.

Instead of the old way -- being directed to a download page with install instructions to do the update -- Reunion will now do as Roger described: "Reunion closes itself, downloads the update, applies it itself and then reopens."
            Gregg Witmer

Comment

Hooray!!!!

This morning when I opened Reunion 12 I was greeted with the familiar "an update is available" screen.

What impressed me was that now Reunion closes itself, downloads the update, applies it itself and then reopens - Hooray - a much simpler update process that doesn't leave my Downloads folder with multiple copies of the Reunion download.

Bravo!!

Roger
              I agree Roger. The new update process is elegant! Thanks Leister!

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                ........What is being discussed here is Reunion doing a 'self' update that is triggered by you when you click the "Update Now" button............
                Thank you for clearing that up.
                Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
                Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
                iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Hooray!!!!

This morning when I opened Reunion 12 I was greeted with the familiar "an update is

Bravo!!

Roger
                  What is sparkle? Do not recognise.

Delbert curlin
                  Delbert Curlin
                  Reunion 10.0.6 OS X 10.9.2 iphone 3GS
                  Searching Curlin, White, McClish,Buckner

Comment

Sparkle is, in short, a way to for developers to easily distribute updates to users/a way for users to easily update their application.

Previously, to install a Reunion update you would need to go through this process.

With Sparkle, you click "Update Now" (in the "Help -> Check for Updates..." window), wait a few seconds (give or take) for the update to download and extract, then click "Install and Relaunch" and you're updated to the latest version.

You can find more information on their website, though it's geared more towards developers.

HTH
                    Mark Harrison

Comment

I can't finish the latest update- have tried at least 6 times.
                      Update Error
                      An error occurred while downloading the update. Please try again later.

Comment

Originally posted by Fairweather View Post
                        I can't finish the latest update- have tried at least 6 times.
                        Update Error
                        An error occurred while downloading the update.
                        If Reunion's self-update reports an error, then you should download and manually install the update.

You can download the update from here...

As a reminder, here is a video explaining how to manually install the update...

Please note that the instructions in the video are only for cases when the regular Reunion update fails.
                        Gregg Witmer

Comment

Working...
                        X