X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Make a back up copy" vs Drag-n-Drop family file

In reading about backups, I see there are a few methods described. Notably,
    o Within Reunion, use File; Save a backup copy" AND
    o Close Reunion and drag the family file to an external drive.

I understand the need to have multiple backups in separate places, but I guess my question is whether these two methods create different files needed for different reasons? If the family file is not changed between creating the backup within Reunion and closing the program and dragging the family file to the external drive, is there a difference between the two? Could I just use the "Save a backup copy", then drag that backup copy to an external drive?

2. When I create a backup from within Reunion does that contain all the media files (copies of docs and sourcing etc,) integrated in the family file? Or do they have to be backed up/saved elsewhere?

3. It looks like if I choose NOT to include thumbnails when creating the backup, it will rebuild them anyway when the file is first opened, so what is the reason to check or uncheck that box?

I'm not sure these questions makes sense....?

Thanks, Pat

Re: "Make a back up copy" vs Drag-n-Drop family file

Originally posted by Pat Metzler View Post
    In reading about backups, I see there are a few methods described. Notably,
    o Within Reunion, use File; Save a backup copy" AND
    o Close Reunion and drag the family file to an external drive.

I understand the need to have multiple backups in separate places, but I guess my question is whether these two methods create different files needed for different reasons?
    The files may be slightly different sizes (the "backup copy" one may be smaller), but practically speaking there's no other differences you should be concerned about. They're interchangable; there's no instance in which you'd need one and not the other.

If the family file is not changed between creating the backup within Reunion and closing the program and dragging the family file to the external drive, is there a difference between the two? Could I just use the "Save a backup copy", then drag that backup copy to an external drive?
    There may be a size difference, but that doesn't much matter. Yes, you can drag a backup copy anywhere you'd like to keep it.

2. When I create a backup from within Reunion does that contain all the media files (copies of docs and sourcing etc,) integrated in the family file? Or do they have to be backed up/saved elsewhere?
    Reunion family files don't *contain* your media files. They have links to your media files, which are stored elsewhere on your disk drive. You need to back up your media files separately.

That's why it's convenient to store them in one folder that can be zipped and stored elsewhere as a backup. That's not the only way to do it, but it is the easiest.

3. It looks like if I choose NOT to include thumbnails when creating the backup, it will rebuild them anyway when the file is first opened, so what is the reason to check or uncheck that box?
    Not storing the thumbnails saves a lot of space in the family file. It will be much smaller.
    Storing the thumbnails saves a lot of time if you ever have to reopen the backup.

So there are advantages to saving thumbnails, and to not saving thumbnails, in backup files. You have to decide which is more important to you, space or time.
    Dennis J. Cunniff
    Click here to email me

Comment

I have a question that is relevant to this thread I think, even if five years late!!!
      Today, July 7, 2022, I backed up my family file using Reunion 13, to a memory stick which I can save off my computer in case something happens to the file(s) on the iMac. The files on the memory stick are the same size as the files in the iMacs Folders/directories. HOWEVER, as noted above the file I saved by the make a backup method is somewhat smaller than the actual / original file. Does anyone know why this is? I'm really just curious. They both have the same numbers of people and families etc. But they do show different sizes.

Comment

Leister staff can give the definitive answer. My intelliguess is that the small differences in size is related to how the volume is formatted. There are several options available when one formats a volume (hard disk, SSD, USB stick, etc.). Mileage varies related to how efficient each format assigns memory usage.
        Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
        Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
        iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

When you use Reunion to save a backup copy, the file size of the backup copy will usually be smaller. This is because cache files (which are redundant) are not included in the backup - those files are regenerated when the backup family file is opened for the first time.

On a side note: You should not attempt to open your family file on a USB thumb drive or memory stick. If you want to view your backup family file - copy it on to your Mac's hard drive first then open it with Reunion.
          Gregg Witmer
          Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Working...
          X