This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Synching problem

I have Reunion 11 (17,000+ people) on my iMac, Reunion Touch on my iPad and Dropbox on both. My family file is in the Dropbox folder on the iMac and I have an alias to it in my Reunion Files folder which I use to make any changes.

Copied my Reunion family file from the iMac to the iPad via Dropbox with no problem.

Then I found a person’s second wife and added her to her husband with some notes into Reunion on the iMac, but the changes refuse to appear on the iPad.

I’m obviously doing something wrong but I’ve run out of ideas. Suggestions for a fix would be very welcome.

Thanks,
    Frank
    Regards,
    Frank
    fmitchelATamugDOTorg

Re: Synching problem

"Copied my Reunion family file from the iMac to the iPad via Dropbox with no problem."

You should have Dropbox on the iPad, then buy ReunionTouch (if not already). Use the Dropbox's file on ReunionTouch.
    rMBP, 15", 2.8GHz i7, 16G RAM, Reunion 12.0, iPhone 12 Pro Max, ReunionTouch

Comment

Originally posted by SGilbert View Post
      "Copied my Reunion family file from the iMac to the iPad via Dropbox with no problem."

You should have Dropbox on the iPad, then buy ReunionTouch (if not already). Use the Dropbox's file on ReunionTouch.
      Thanks, but that is exactly what I have and did to "copy" my family file from the Dropbox on the iMac to Dropbox on my iPad as described in my first paragraph.

My question is why don't *changes* to the former then automatically appear in the latter?

Frank
      Regards,
      Frank
      fmitchelATamugDOTorg

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Mitchell View Post
        Thanks, but that is exactly what I have and did to "copy" my family file from the Dropbox on the iMac to Dropbox on my iPad as described in my first paragraph.

My question is why don't *changes* to the former then automatically appear in the latter?

Frank
        Another question, rather than answer, I'm afraid. Have you checked the File Sharing status? That can get disrupted by a variety of database changes and occasionally needs resetting to re-initiate syncing.

Mervyn

Comment

Originally posted by mjashby View Post
          Another question, rather than answer, I'm afraid. Have you checked the File Sharing status? That can get disrupted by a variety of database changes and occasionally needs resetting to re-initiate syncing.

Mervyn
          Thanks Mervyn,

I had checked it on the iPad.

The Reunion Touch file has the same date as the Reunion file on the iMac - this being the date when the file was first transferred to the iPad about a week ago.

After your note, I checked the File Sharing status on the iMac as well. It had the same information. I clicked on “Redo the sharing” button (bottom left - I forget what it was called) and was then told that “This file is not being shared”.

I’ve probably really screwed something up now. I’ll wait a bit to see if my problem means something to somebody. If it doesn’t, I’ll just delete the file from the iPad and start again.

Another question just occurs to me. I know the Reunion family file MUST be in the Dropbox folder. Do all the Multimedia files need to be in there too?

[BTW, Mervyn, I lived in Ilkley, W Yorks for about 10 years]
          Regards,
          Frank
          fmitchelATamugDOTorg

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Mitchell View Post
            Another question just occurs to me. I know the Reunion family file MUST be in the Dropbox folder. Do all the Multimedia files need to be in there too?
            The family file contains all the media thumbnails that ReunionTouch will use, so multimedia files do not need to be moved to Dropbox separately.

I would go ahead and reset sharing. When you open your family file on your device, ReunionTouch will redownload the reset file.

From the manual -- Note: After a reset, make sure Dropbox is finished syncing before opening the family file on your device(s).
            Tim Lundin
            Heartland Family Graphics
            http://www.familygraphics.com

Comment

Hi Frank,

Just wanted to make a couple clarifications...

Copied my Reunion family file from the iMac to the iPad via Dropbox with no problem.
              Be sure you have moved your family file into Dropbox. In other words, there should be only one copy of your family file, and it should be located in Dropbox. You do not want a copy of your family file in your Documents/Reunion Files folder.

...My family file is in the Dropbox folder on the iMac and I have an alias to it in my Reunion Files folder which I use to make any changes.
              Again, I'm assuming you mean that there is only an alias inside your Reunion Files folder, which you double-click to open your family file; but the family file itself is located only in Dropbox.

The most common reason that changes don't appear is when a user has a family file in their Reunion Files folder, and a copy of the family file in Dropbox. Hence, the reason for my reply -- just to make sure you're not doing that.
              Frank Leister
              Leister Productions Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
                Hi Frank,

Just wanted to make a couple clarifications...

Be sure you have moved your family file into Dropbox. In other words, there should be only one copy of your family file, and it should be located in Dropbox. You do not want a copy of your family file in your Documents/Reunion Files folder.

Again, I'm assuming you mean that there is only an alias inside your Reunion Files folder, which you double-click to open your family file; but the family file itself is located only in Dropbox.

The most common reason that changes don't appear is when a user has a family file in their Reunion Files folder, and a copy of the family file in Dropbox. Hence, the reason for my reply -- just to make sure you're not doing that.
                Hello Frank,
                Yes, your clarifications are correct. I have MOVED my family file into the Dropbox folder. It is the only copy and there is ONLY an alias to it in my Documents/Reunion Files folder.

It would be simple to try deleting the alias if you think it might help.

I don't think it matters, but I have several files for other people's families in my Documents/Reunion Files folder, but none of them are involved in this exercise (and won't be!).

I could simply delete the file already on the iPad and transfer the changed file from the iMac again, but it would be nice to know what, if anything, I did wrong the first time to avoid repeating the error.
                Regards,
                Frank
                fmitchelATamugDOTorg

Comment

Originally posted by ttl View Post
                  The family file contains all the media thumbnails that ReunionTouch will use, so multimedia files do not need to be moved to Dropbox separately.

I would go ahead and reset sharing. When you open your family file on your device, ReunionTouch will redownload the reset file.

From the manual -- Note: After a reset, make sure Dropbox is finished syncing before opening the family file on your device(s).
                  It's a relief to know that I don't have to move all the media files. Thanks

When I open Sharing Status on the device (iPad) there is no Reset button.

I think Sharing Status on the iMac did have a Reset button which I pressed yesterday. Sharing Status now says "this file is not being shared". The Reset button, if that is what it was, has now disappeared.

Thanks
                  Regards,
                  Frank
                  fmitchelATamugDOTorg

Comment

Thanks to ReunionTalk, the syncing puzzle with a new iPhone was solved in a flash! It pays to search before you ask!

Comment

Originally posted by ttl View Post
                      After dealing with several other urgent family problems, I finally got back to looking for a solution to the Reunion touch “problem” described in my previous messages.

1. I deleted the existing Reunion Touch family file (which had refused to update) from my iPad.

2. Checked that the Reunion file was still in the iPad dropbox.

3. Downloaded the file from the iPad dropbox to Reunion Touch again. The changes I had made to the Reunion file on my iMac now appear in the iPad file ! ! !

It seems that the file in the iPad Dropbox had automatically updated all along, but the Reunion Touch file did not automatically update from it as I understood it would.

I should probably have tried redownloading the iPad Dropbox file first without deleting the original file, but I thought that would be more likely to corrupt the Reunion Touch file rather then updating it. Opinions on this for future updates would be welcome.

Tim - Is that what you meant when you advised me to “reset sharing”?
                      Regards,
                      Frank
                      fmitchelATamugDOTorg

Comment

I had/have the same problem as Frank Mitchell in that my Reunion family file on my iMac, when updated, was not being reflected on my iPad's ReunionTouch program. I tried (valiantly) to duplicate the steps he was taking with advice from others, but now I am in worse shape than ever.

Here's the problem: I have my Reunion 11 family file in a "Reunion Family Files" folder in Dropbox on my iMac. It is the only file; i.e., I do NOT have any duplicates in my Reunion 11 folder, as was advised to Frank. On my iPad I deleted the family file (which was not updating), from the iPad's Dropbox program, thinking I could re-upload the one from my iMac to the iPad Dropbox, but it appears that there is no way to do that. (I tried Airdrop which just put it into an iZip app). The iPad's Dropbox still has the old "reunion family files" folder (lower case which distinguishes it from my iMac's folder of the same name) that was there before, but is empty since I deleted the family file from it, and I have not been able to find any way to delete that folder. If I activate ReunionTouch, it has an option to "Download a family file" from Dropbox (the iPad's Dropbox), but since that is now empty, there's nothing to download.

I am totally frustrated and would welcome any help. Perhaps the best advice would be "How do I delete everything and start from scratch? This system was working previously, so I don't know what changed to give me the non-synced files problem ... which I have obviously made worse.
                        Leif-Erik Wadelius
                        Comox, BC

Comment

Hi Leif,

Just to clarify -- on your Mac, if you go into your Dropbox folder, the family file is present in the folder called "Reunion Family Files", correct?

Also, please check and make sure the Dropbox app is running on your Mac. If it is you should see a Dropbox icon (looks like a cardboard box with the top open) at top-right of your computer screen, near the date/time.

Thanks,
                          Mark Harrison
                          Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark View Post
                            Hi Leif,

Just to clarify -- on your Mac, if you go into your Dropbox folder, the family file is present in the folder called "Reunion Family Files", correct?

Also, please check and make sure the Dropbox app is running on your Mac. If it is you should see a Dropbox icon (looks like a cardboard box with the top open) at top-right of your computer screen, near the date/time.

Thanks,
                            The answer to your first question was yes, but ...when I checked to make sure Dropbox was running as you suggested, it appeared not to be. When I activated it, I was alerted that I should download a newer version of it, which I did. As soon as the install & sign-in was complete, I noticed the Reunion Family Files folder in the iMac Dropbox indicated it was uploading the family file. When it completed (green checkmark), I went to my iPad’s Dropbox and could now see the family file name there also. Then I went to ReunionTouch and was able to activate “Download a family file from Dropbox” next to the Dropbox icon successfully. The changed file appears in the iPad normally now when using ReunionTouch. )

Thanks so much for the hint of the Dropbox not running. Such a simple solution to what was many hours searching. I should have contacted you much, much earlier ... my bad!

Thanks muchly, Mark. You're a lifesaver!
                            Leif-Erik Wadelius
                            Comox, BC

Comment

Working...
                            X