iPhone to iPad Sync

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

iPhone to iPad Sync

I'm still having problems with syncing between my three devices, iMac, iPhone and iPad. I originally posted about this on 25 June and through email correspondence with tech support we learned I had hit my storage limit with my Dropbox account and it was no longer syncing. Made sense, so I removed a ton of files I had backed up to Dropbox freeing up 50% of my storage.

As I'm on the road traveling my iMac is connected to the Internet only occasionally. This past weekend, after freeing up space in my Dropbox account, I had it connected. again. I noted on my Mac as soon as I logged on to the Internet my Dropbox account proceeded to sync several thousand files, but when it got down to the last ten, it would go no further. Through the process, there was an indiscernible message in the Dropbox dialogue box but clearly indicating it was unable to sync. I should have taken a screenshot but didn't.

Over the last month or so I've updated and made changes to my Reunion database from both my iPhone and iPad. Currently my iPhone Reunion file contains 23,822 names and 1139 sources. My iPad has 23,741 names and 1121 sources. My iMac even less of both. I note those changes and updates have transferred to the other devices with the one major exception being the number of names in the database as well as the number of sources. No idea why this should be the case.

So, now I'm wondering if my only option left is to reset sharing, which I've read about in the help section. But it sounds like it will sync everything to the "host" file, which, if I understand correctly, is the family file currently on my iMac. Obviously I don't want to end up with just that single file alone, but would like all the files synced, as should normally be the case.

Maybe I'm wrong in my interpretation of what happens if I reset sharing. Maybe it will start with the host file and then merge all the changes from both my iPhone and iPad. That being the case, no problem.

At the very least I want to end up with my iPad and iMac having the same data currently found on my iPhone with the 23,822 names and all my 1139 sources to-date. I just want to be sure before I proceed further that I do not lose the iPhone data.

Your help in this matter will be greatly appreciated.
    Rick

Using Reunion 11.0.11 on my MacBook Pro (3.1 GHz, 8GB RAM).

Re: iPhone to iPad Sync #2

Originally posted by Spyneyes View Post
    I note those changes and updates have transferred to the other devices with the one major exception being the number of names in the database as well as the number of sources.
    The first thing I'd recommend doing is rebuilding caches on the devices that don't seem to have the correct people/source counts.

On the Mac, you can do that by opening the family file and selecting:

File -> Rebuild Cache Files...

And, on the iPad, it can be done by closing the family file (so you return to the "Welcome to ReunionTouch" screen) tapping and holding on the family file in the list of family files on the device for about 6 or so seconds, then tapping the "Rebuild Caches" option that pops up.

If the counts are still off after doing that, let us know.

So, now I'm wondering if my only option left is to reset sharing...
    I would not recommend that at this point.

HTH
    Mark Harrison
    Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

iPhone to iPad Sync #3

Per Mark at Technical Support I rebuilt the caches on my iMac and iPad as instructed.

Now the iMac has 23,743 names and 1122 sources. The iPad has the same number of names but one less source. My iPhone still has 23,821 names and 1140 sources. With the exception of the missing names and sources, all other changes made to the database on either device, over the last several weeks, all show up on the other devices.

I note too, after removing some unnecessary and unrelated files from other folders in Dropbox, it now indicates it is "Up to Date". Everything, as best I can tell, including Sharing Status on all the devices appear to all be accurate and up to date.

The problem is the significant number of missing names and sources on the iMac and iPad.

Thanks again for your help.
      Rick

Comment

Re: iPhone to iPad Sync

Everything, as best I can tell, including Sharing Status on all the devices appear to all be accurate and up to date.
        I just want to verify: the most recent entries appear on all devices? The only difference seems to be in the number of people/sources reported on the iPhone?

I think I'd like to take a look at the file, if you'd be willing to send it. You can find details on how to send it to us here. Please be sure to send the file as-is -- don't reset sharing or send a backup.

Thanks,
        Mark Harrison

Comment

Yes, with a few exceptions, all the data added recently does appear in the other devices.

From which device did you want me to send the file?

My iPhone file is the most up to date but I don't know how to access it to send a copy.

OR were you referring to the file on my iMac that is missing a substantial number of names and sources?
          Rick

Comment

From which device did you want me to send the file?
            Send the file that is in your Dropbox folder. It's probably easiest to do that from your Mac.

Thanks,
            Mark Harrison

Comment

The problem reported by Spyneyes is very similar to one that I am experiencing. Recent changes to our family file in Reunion Touch on iPhone are not being synced to Reunion on our other devices (Reunion Touch on iPad and Reunion 11 on MacBook Pro), even though all three devices are in general agreement on Sharing Status.

All three devices agree precisely on the name of the iPhone as well as the date & time of last change there. Unfortunately, that's wrong - it says May 16, but a change was made on the iPhone last week, and the other two devices do not see it.

The MacBook and the iPad agree precisely on the numbers of people, families and sources, but the iPhone has considerably smaller numbers of people and families. Since the MacBook is where we do most of our work of developing the family tree, it's to be expected that it shows recent changes, and it's heartening that the iPad agrees with it; at least those two devices seem to be syncing with each other properly.

From the symptoms, it appears that the iPhone is referring to Dropbox for status information but isn't posting its updates there as it should. But that's not the only irregularity.

All three devices agree on the name of the iPad, but the MacBook shows a different date/time for the iPad's last change than the other two devices do.

All three devices agree that the MacBook was updated most recently ("xx minutes ago"), but they don't agree on its name. The MacBook knows its own name correctly, but the iPad calls it "host", and the iPhone calls it by the name of our Mac Mini, which is a 4th device that's synced via Dropbox but has been turned off for the past several weeks.

None of the three devices show that there are actually four devices synced via Dropbox, aside from the one naming error cited in the previous paragraph. That fourth device is not currently accessible, so I can't tell you what it might report about Sharing Status.

I've rebuilt cache files on all three devices, as documented earlier in this thread, and that hasn't helped.

I could simply "Download a Family File from Dropbox" on the iPhone, but I expect that such an action would replace the onboard file on the iPhone, thereby losing whatever changes we might have made on the iPhone since the last time everything was properly synced (which probably was May 16). In addition, I don't want to take any irreversible steps until we get access to the fourth machine again (which will be about a week from now), so that we can find out what its view of Sharing Status is, and whether powering it up affects the Sharing Status off the three currently accessible devices discussed above.

What next?

Comment

Hi Carl,

Originally posted by Carl S Z View Post
                The MacBook knows its own name correctly, but the iPad calls it "host", and the iPhone calls it by the name of our Mac Mini, which is a 4th device that's synced via Dropbox but has been turned off for the past several weeks.
                The last Mac a change was made on is sometimes called "host" and other times referred to by its name - there's sometimes an inconsistency in the naming. We're looking into that, however, it's not indicative of a problem (the iPhone listing the Mac Mini instead of the MacBook is, though).

None of the three devices show that there are actually four devices synced via Dropbox...
                It's normal that only one of your Macs is listed - the last Mac that a change was made on will be the one that shows in the Sharing Status menu. Obviously the iPhone is out of sync, hence why it lists the Mac Mini instead of the MacBook.

Before making any suggestions I'd like to take a look at your family file, if you're willing to share it with us. We have a tool here that we can use to see what changes have been written to the family file for syncing; that may help determine what your next best steps should be.

You can find details on how to send the file to us here. Be sure to send the original file as-is, don't send a copy of the file.

If you'd prefer not to send the file, please let me know.

Thanks,
                Mark Harrison

Comment

Working...
                X