Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Scan& & Archive original documents

Originally posted by Michael Talibard View Post
    but a group photo, a page of census, a marriage record, a trade directory, geographical locations and many others relate to multiple surnames or none, and it must often be a rather arbitrary choice which one to go with.
    Generally, in practice, there is an obvious SURNAMEgivenname to go with each of these examples. The head of household in a census, the husband in a marriage record, etc. And in the rare cases where there isn't an obvious "dominate" person, you can easily duplicate the record/image and cross-file it if needs be.

I don't link media in Reunion for the reasons I gave in my post. I have no assurance that those linkages will persist if I have to change programs at some point and, more importantly, when I share my genealogy with other members of my family, those on Windows won't be able to run Reunion now, and in the distant future (20 years or more?) it's unlikely Reunion will still be around - or, if it is, that it will be able to reach back in time and convert it's 20 year old files. I got burned by that when I had my 1995 book on my Worth family in a page layout program that went defunct.

I can see going to the trouble of linking media in Reunion if you want another, faster, more convenient way to find things. And to support the cross-tagging to various individuals I mentioned earlier. However, I think it's important to have a filing system that can stand on it's own as well. I haven't bothered to link in Reunion because my "keep it simple" filing system based on sorting by file name has worked for me to find things quickly in most cases anyway.

The main reason I file by family line first (rather than by record type) is that I want to be able to easily sub-set my records for cousins. They are not interested in seeing every census record I have - only the ones that apply to a particular great-grandparent's lines. After that, I would like to sort by chronology rather than record type in any case.

That said, filing systems are like genealogy programs - you have to go with the one that best suits the way you think. There is no ideal choice for everyone - only what works best for you.

Don

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Talibard View Post
      Maybe better to invent a system that suits you.....
      Group photos are always the difficulty, and in a few cases, reluctantly, I duplicate them.
      Thank you for your response Michael. At the moment I am still scanning the photographs and just using the file number allocated by the scanner. I am still looking for some inspiration regarding filing systems for group photos. Perhaps I should start a new thread?
      James L. Milne
      Click here to email me

Comment

There comes a point where one must go beyond the file name and start working with metadata accessed through the 'get info' dialogue box or third party utilities. the metadata is searchable via spotlight.
        Last edited by steveoc; 26 June 2017, 08:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cyril jones View Post
          I have a massive collection of hard copy documents related to family history. I intend scanning these documents and archiving them. Google Drive has been recommended for this project. I'm looking for advice on how to set up such a searchable database and any other tips before I start. It would also be good if they could somehow be linked to Reunion.
          Th best way to set up up a database is to use a database application,Personally, I use DEVONthink. Since every thread in which I discussed this program has been closed, I'll take that as an indication that the owners of this forum would rather I curtail my comments about it in this venue.

Reunion is not document management software, nor do I think, it should try to be. One of the advantages of the MacOS is th ease of working across applications. @Allsop also uses DEVONthink and has devised a way to link it to Reunion.

Comment

Working...
          X