Multimedia Location question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multimedia Location question

I'm using the most current version of Reunion 11 and I have a question about where it stores the multimedia files. I have searched through all the threads here and read all the help docs on the app but still no answer.

As it looks now, all multimedia files (jpgs, pdfs, etc.) are all stored in one folder, the default Pictures folder. Is that correct?

I am trying to set up folders that match up with the collections used by TNG to separate out the various items, e.g., Photos, Documents, Histories, Headstones, Videos, and Recordings, etc. I have not found a way to do that. Have I just overlooked it or is it not possible?

Thanks

David

Re: Multimedia Location question

Originally posted by BigEnso View Post
    I am trying to set up folders that match up with the collections used by TNG to separate out the various items, e.g., Photos, Documents, Histories, Headstones, Videos, and Recordings, etc. I have not found a way to do that. Have I just overlooked it or is it not possible?
    Reunion doesn't really store the files anywhere: you store the files and Reunion finds them. Reunion does store thumbnails of the files, but that's not what you're asking.

The usual default folder is, as you say, the Pictures folder (and any subfolders within it.) But you can certainly have a "Multimedia" folder that has subfolders named "Photos", "Documents", "Histories", "Headstones", "Videos", and "Recordings", and store your multimedia files within them.

The "secret" to making it work is to go the Multimedia preferences and add the "Multimedia" folder to the multimedia search folder list. Reunion will henceforth search the folders (and any subfolders they contain) in that list for linked multimedia items.

So the folder in the preferences might be:
    ~/Documents/Reunion Files/Multimedia

and you would store files in the folders:
    ~/Documents/Reunion Files/Multimedia/Photos
    ~/Documents/Reunion Files/Multimedia/Documents
    ~/Documents/Reunion Files/Multimedia/Histories
    ~/Documents/Reunion Files/Multimedia/Headstones
    ~/Documents/Reunion Files/Multimedia/Videos
    ~/Documents/Reunion Files/Multimedia/Recordings

If you have the files elsewhere and move them, Reunion can search for all of them and relink them at once with the "Repair Multimedia Links..." button also found in the Multimedia Preferences panel.
    Dennis J. Cunniff
    Click here to email me

Comment

Thanks Dennis.

That clarified what I needed to know.

David

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis J. Cunniff View Post
        Reunion doesn't really store the files anywhere: you store the files and Reunion finds them. Reunion does store thumbnails of the files, but that's not what you're asking.

The usual default folder is, as you say, the Pictures folder (and any subfolders within it.) But you can certainly have a "Multimedia" folder that has subfolders named "Photos", "Documents", "Histories", "Headstones", "Videos", and "Recordings", and store your multimedia files within them.

The "secret" to making it work is to go the Multimedia preferences and add the "Multimedia" folder to the multimedia search folder list. Reunion will henceforth search the folders (and any subfolders they contain) in that list for linked multimedia items.

So the folder in the preferences might be:
        ~/Documents/Reunion Files/Multimedia

and you would store files in the folders:
        ~/Documents/Reunion Files/Multimedia/Photos
        ~/Documents/Reunion Files/Multimedia/Documents
        ~/Documents/Reunion Files/Multimedia/Histories
        ~/Documents/Reunion Files/Multimedia/Headstones
        ~/Documents/Reunion Files/Multimedia/Videos
        ~/Documents/Reunion Files/Multimedia/Recordings

If you have the files elsewhere and move them, Reunion can search for all of them and relink them at once with the "Repair Multimedia Links..." button also found in the Multimedia Preferences panel.
        Dennis, can I ask a followup question?

I use Reunion 11 on my desktop and the Touch version on my iPad with the data file in my Dropbox account. Would it be better to keep my multimedia folder on my desktop or move it to Dropbox as well?

Thanks

David

Comment

I use Reunion 11 on my desktop and the Touch version on my iPad with the data file in my Dropbox account. Would it be better to keep my multimedia folder on my desktop or move it to Dropbox as well?
          David,
          As far as I know, it makes no difference. But I use the Touch version only occasionally; others who use it more may have further input.
          Dennis J. Cunniff
          Click here to email me

Comment

I don't think it matters - Reunion keeps smaller versions of the media file inside the Reunion file, so that they can be shown on the ReunionTouch app without you needing to have all of the full size media files available on the iOS device.

Roger
            Roger Moffat
            http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
            http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

Thanks Dennis and Roger.

Comment

Working...
              X