Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reunion 11 and "Evidence Explained" 3d Ed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reunion 11 and "Evidence Explained" 3d Ed.

Originally posted by GeorgeC View Post
    I also received a quick reply from AE Palmer (see message #6) with a copy of his spreadsheet showing the fields that he uses for different types of sources. Thank you Arnold!
    Thank you so much for the spreadsheet, Arnold! It's going to take awhile but I'm determined to do as much as I can!

Regards,
    Kaye
    Kaye Mushalik
    -Muschalik (Poland), Stroop, Small (Ireland), Fitzsimons/Fitzsimmons (Ireland) Pessara/Pesaora/Pesarro/Pizarro (from Germany)
    -Dorrance, Eberstein, Bell
    -Late2015iMac27"Retina5K, MacOS10.14, iOS12.1, R12, Safari12.0

Comment

Dear Reunion users,

Over the course of using Reunion since 1991 and localizing Reunion for the German language for a number of years, I expanded the basic structure of Reunion source fields and source types. I have been doing research in in the U.S., the U.K., a number of European and Asian countries, Australia and New Zealand. Sources are paper based, multimedia, or physical, therefore setting up a reasonably good sources structure has been something of a challenge. It took a couple of years of tinkering, but now, the structure is stable. On the outset, I looked at the structure of various citation systems. Similar to the US, there's a plethora of different citation systems available over here, which are hard to reconcile into one single source-structure. Therefore, I decided to take the best of the various systems and worked them into a common citation structure, which is easy to understand. So far, I've captured my entire genealogical bibliography collection i.e. about 25000 sources into Reunion. Reunion's flexible source structure allows me to dispense with any other citation databases or spreadsheets, which otherwise would break the integration process, when producing reports etc. I expanded the existing 36 source fields in Reunion to about 70 source fields and combined them into about 90 different source types. Additionally, by using uncommon fonts, a structure within the structure could be achieved, which makes it easy for a Reunion-user to pick the right source type.

Anyone interested in having a sample of my Reunion file, please send me your direct e-mail to: SauerRL@me.com

Best regards
      Reiner (Sauer)
      SauerRL@me.com • info@reunion-de.de
      Web: http://www.schevenhuette.com
      Web: http://www.reunion-de.de

Comment

Originally posted by AE Palmer View Post
        Anyone interested in having a copy of my Excel sheet of source fields may email me off-list at: <apalmer6 AT Verizon.net>.
        Thanks awfully, Mr. Palmer - I've just sent you an e-mail request for the sheet.
        P. S. Browne
        researching Browne Haynos, Passalacqua, McCaskie, Gallacher, Dona, Crespin, McDonald and O'Sullivan lines in the US, Poland, Italy, UK and Australia

Comment

Re: Reunion 11 and &quot;Evidence Explained&quot; 3d Ed.

Originally posted by Knarressprings View Post
          Thanks awfully, Mr. Palmer - I've just sent you an e-mail request for the sheet.
          Thank you Mr Palmer, I have also emailed requesting the spreadsheet.

Comment

Originally posted by AE Palmer View Post
            Unfortunately the sharing of source templates is not possible via Reunion. That said, each source template in Reunion is completely customizable and can be made to “conform” to Evidence Explained.

As noted by another member of this thread, the process takes time to accomplish. The results, however, are worth the effort! For that matter, you can even add custom fields to sources that you can use (and) keep hidden in reports!

Over the course of using Reunion for more than ten years now, I spent well over 200 hours of my time tweaking the source fields to meet my needs ¬– mostly in preparation for professional publication. I have since successfully published that book and am very happy with the results.

Anyone interested in having a copy of my Excel sheet of source fields may email me off-list at: <apalmer6 AT Verizon.net>.
            Thanks, Arnold, for sharing you spreadsheet. I am preparing two analyses for publication in a genealogical society's journal and was advised to use Chicago for citation style. When a publisher's recommended style has no format for a particular citation, do you use EE or are you able to "fit" a unique source into the publisher's recommended style format? My first look at the Chicago categories are rather general and I suppose it would be possible to do.

Bill
            Bill
            Sherman William Bear
            Researching Bear/Behr/Bohr in PA
            Sherman in NB, OH, PA

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Bear View Post
              Thanks, Arnold, for sharing you spreadsheet. I am preparing two analyses for publication in a genealogical society's journal and was advised to use Chicago for citation style. When a publisher's recommended style has no format for a particular citation, do you use EE or are you able to "fit" a unique source into the publisher's recommended style format? My first look at the Chicago categories are rather general and I suppose it would be possible to do.

Bill
              Reunion’s stock source formats are pretty much founded on the Chicago Style of citation. Therefore it will fulfill 99+% for your needs. The fact that you can also create custom fields and sources within Reunion allows you to bridge the remaining gap for almost any unusual source material you have. Much of the work I have is based on the Chicago Style Manual, but am gradually converting it over to EE protocols. That said, EE is not perfect for every oddball item that is thrown our direction, but it does give us a de facto standard to work towards and is the best we have for both genealogical and historical writing needs. BTW, EE is a super set of the Chicago manual and thus, can be used in much the same way.
              Arnold
              -----
              RESEARCHING: FRIESLAND (Holland); NEW BRUNSWICK (Canada); Maine, NYS & NJ (USA)

Comment

I just received another request for a clone of my sources, but then lost the email through a tech problem - sorry to whoever that was. Feel free to try again contacting me at lynda.chiotti@gmail.com or through my website.
                Lynda C.
                Researching Kemble, Pryor, Gradwell, Cooper and lots more.

Comment

Arnold (AE Palmer) and Rainer L. Sauer: How can I get in touch with you? Back in 2017 you signalized your willingness to share what you had come up with concerning Reunion and Evidence Explained. I'd be interested in a copy if you're still willing to share. You can reach me at mawyn@gmx.de.
                  Matthew Wyneken

Comment

Working...
                  X