This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Program acting strangely

I have a 103,000 person file in Reunion 9.0c that I've been adding to on a daily basis. Normally, the program is very responsive, but suddenly this evening, it's running slowly. Adding new individuals (using "nmc," for example, or clicking on a new spouse) results in a lag of a couple seconds. Adding information and saving the new person leads to an even longer lag before completing, and includes a visit from the spinning rainbow cursor. Editing the marriage field is also slow. Even quitting the program results in a lag of several seconds. All of this was instantaneous in the past.

I haven't changed anything on my computer (a Mac Pro running OS 10.8.5), and have tried the following:
    Rebooting the Mac;
    Creating a copy of the family file;
    Creating a compact copy, which rebuilds the index;
    Reinstalling the Reunion program from the .dmg file.

Although the lag is more annoying than anything else, I'm worried that it might be indicative of a deeper problem with my file.

Any insights from fellow users, or words of wisdom from the Leister team, would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Frank; 22 April 2014, 10:32 AM.
    Roger Kreuz
    Memphis, TN
    www.rogerkreuz.com/gen/

Re: Program acting strangely

Sounds like it could be an over-full HD (you need at least 10% free-15% better), or worse, a failing HD. Back up now; then check it.
    rMBP, 15", 2.8GHz i7, 16G RAM, Reunion 12.0, iPhone 12 Pro Max, ReunionTouch

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion about the hard drive, but the drive in question (an SSD) is only about half full, and less than a year old.
      I've now been able to able to confirm the same laggy behavior in a copy of my family file running on my laptop, so it seems to be a problem with my file, and not Reunion. However, my questions remain: is there a way to "repair" the file, and does this behavior augur problems for my information in the future?
      Roger Kreuz
      Memphis, TN
      www.rogerkreuz.com/gen/

Comment

Hi Roger,

Do you have the Index window open when you experience this lag?

is there a way to "repair" the file
        Not from within Reunion 9, however, if you e-mail us your Family File we can check it for errors. If you do e-mail us the Family File, please don't make any changes to it until we get back to you.

HTH
        Mark Harrison
        Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Whenever I have problems with anything on my Mac slowing down or not responding I run Applejack. It's a free/share ware program that does 5 things, clears caches, repairs permissions, and 3 other that I don't remember. Barring that, have you tried to just repair permissions in the disk utility? That might help.

Comment

Applejack is great, but the ultimate fixer-upper is DiskWarrior.

BTW, Roger, HD's can fail anytime. Spinning disks can go slowly or fast. SSD's, I understand, almost always go very fast. In your case, I'll rule out the HD and defer to Mark's solution.
            rMBP, 15", 2.8GHz i7, 16G RAM, Reunion 12.0, iPhone 12 Pro Max, ReunionTouch

Comment

Originally posted by Roger Kreuz View Post
              I have a 103,000 person file in Reunion 9.0c that I've been adding to on a daily basis. Normally, the program is very responsive, but suddenly this evening, it's running slowly. Adding new individuals (using "nmc," for example, or clicking on a new spouse) results in a lag of a couple seconds. Adding information and saving the new person leads to an even longer lag before completing, and includes a visit from the spinning rainbow cursor. Editing the marriage field is also slow. Even quitting the program results in a lag of several seconds. All of this was instantaneous in the past.

I haven't changed anything on my computer (a Mac Pro running OS 10.8.5), and have tried the following:
              Rebooting the Mac;
              Creating a copy of the family file;
              Creating a compact copy, which rebuilds the index;
              Reinstalling the Reunion program from the .dmg file.

Although the lag is more annoying than anything else, I'm worried that it might be indicative of a deeper problem with my file.

Any insights from fellow users, or words of wisdom from the Leister team, would be greatly appreciated.
              The problem you report is unlikely to be caused by Reunion. It is most likely that you are seeing symptoms of excessive file fragmentation, directory damage or other hard drive problems.

Have you run diagnostic checks on your hard drive? The only times I have seen behavior like this develop suddenly have been indicators of directory damage, or that a hard drive was about to fail due to excessive bad blocks. This can be caused by physical deterioration of the disk surface due to age, manufacturing faults or other damage. It is typical that some applications more than others show the spinning beach ball and crashes under such circumstances.

I have had success in early detection of such problems over years, and avoidance of data loss, with backup strategies (current preference, Apple Time Machine), and running periodic scans with diagnostic software including the Mac Disk Utility, and TechTools Pro. TTP's optimization can fix fragmentation, and its surface scan check will find and report bad blocks. When the rate of deterioration of the drive surface exceeds the OS capacity to map out bad blocks, the drive is usually headed for failure soon and should be replaced as soon as possible.

If you are unsure about how to do this yourself, get your drive checked by your friendly local computer geek.

Regular disk checks, using at least the Mac Disk Utility, are prudent routine.
              Last edited by Deb; 20 March 2014, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion about the hard drive, but the drive in question (an SSD) is only about half full, and less than a year old.
                I've now been able to able to confirm the same laggy behavior in a copy of my family file running on my laptop, so it seems to be a problem with my file, and not Reunion. However, my questions remain: is there a way to "repair" the file, and does this behavior augur problems for my information in the future?
                The problem cause shouldn't be a hard drive bad block deterioration issue with a new SSD, but it could be. Even with a new SSD, the problem could also be directory damage or some other such issue detectable and repairable with diagnostic software. Have you run the Mac Disk Utility verify/repair disk, or any other diagnostic/repair software such as Disk Warrior or TechTools Pro?
                Last edited by Deb; 20 March 2014, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Is there any particular reason why you are still running the superseded OS 10.8+ on a MacBook Pro with an SSD -- and not the current 10.9.2? The older version of the OS might not be helping you.
                  Last edited by Deb; 20 March 2014, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X