This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connecting Two Monitors

Could you share with me a site or place I might visit to obtain data on how to run two monitors from my iMAC? I'm sure it is a a forthright feature to some folks, but this simple soul has never been able to figure it out.

Bob

Re: Connecting Two Monitors

Originally posted by sgtbob View Post
    Could you share with me a site or place I might visit to obtain data on how to run two monitors from my iMAC? I'm sure it is a a forthright feature to some folks, but this simple soul has never been able to figure it out.

Bob
    Bob

There are all sorts of guidance be it video or text Apple or not and a quick Google should give you a starting point if you feel it necessary. I couldn't quickly see one which stood out.
    Assuming you have an iMac with Thunderbolt ports, then the simplest, but not the cheapest way to do it is to buy two Apple Thunderbolt displays, plug them in, do any necessary configuration in System Preferences and off you go.
    You can equally buy a pair of displays from say Dell, get a pair of Thunderbolt to whatever cables and in the same way, off you go for much less.

I have one Apple display because it was originally used with my MacBook and includes a power supply, and a Dell which I subsequently bought for half the price of another apple. The Dell supports 2560 by 1440 to match the Apple, but neither of course matches the 5k of my iMac

Comment

Unfortunately, my iMAC is an early 2008 and no Thunderbolt port is available.

Comment

I'll not give detailed instructions, but a general overview, for connecting a second monitor to an older Mac. (This works on my wife's 2006 iMac and my 2010 MBP. With a longer cable and mirroring on, I can also display charts, family cards, & multimedia from Reunion on a large screen TV at family gatherings.)

1. Take a close-up picture of the ports on the back of your Mac and take it to a store that sells monitors, cables, etc. Get a monitor (or a TV that can do double duty as a monitor). Best Buy has a good selection (I have no financial interest in Best Buy). Since it sells Apple products, its clerks can be very helpful. Get a cable that connects to the video or HTML port on the Mac and to the monitor/TV. An Apple adapter may be needed (See, for example, http://www.bestbuy.com/site/monitor-...at138100050035).
        2. Hook up the monitor/TV and Mac and turn them on. (If using a TV, follow the manufacturer's instructions to set the TV to take input from a PC.)
        3. On the Mac, open System Preferences>Displays. Click on the question mark in the lower right to bring up HELP and follow the instructions. Be sure to uncheck mirroring on the second monitor.

Lawrence

Comment

The Early 2008 iMac has a mini-DVI port to connect a display.

from MacTracker:
          Display
          1 - Mini-DVI (DVI, VGA, Composite and S-video with adapter)

You can adapt the mini-DVI connector to any current display connection to use a second display with your iMac.

Hope this helps.
          Attached Files
          John Bastin
          jbastin1@me.com
          Researching: Bastin, Decker, Brake, Perry, Schmid, Sheppard, Matty, Fox, Orr, Eicher
          Mac OS X 10.13.4, Reunion 12.0 (Build 180502) 64-bit

Comment

Not telling you how, but confirming that multiple monitors are great. Have two external monitors plus internal screen on my MacBook Pro. Last night had Reunion on left screen, Ancestry on right hand screen, while I wrote on a Word on MBP screen.

Big help.
            Steve Kunnmann
            Midlothian, VA

(Kunnmann, Basso, Hoffman, Lutz, Denton, Koster, Canning, Schineller)

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence E Moore View Post
              I'll not give detailed instructions,........ video or HTML port on the Mac and to the monitor/TV..........
              That would be HDMI. HTML is the markup language for web pages.

If the size of your screen real estate is not of primary concern, you could also use an older iPad as your extra monitor.
              Last edited by Bob White; 08 July 2015, 01:10 PM.
              Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
              Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
              iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

SgtBob,

What you need :
                – A monitor with a DVI input
                – A mini DVI adapter
                – A DVI cable

Process:
                1. Turn on the iMac.
                2. Look on the back of the iMac You should see an input with an IOI symbol above it. This is the mini DVI port. Plug your adapter into it.
                3. Plug the DVI cable into the other end of the adapter. Connect that to the other monitor.
                4. Plug in and power up the second monitor. Your iMac should immediately recognize the new monitor.
                5. Now you’ll need to go to “System Preferences”. Select “Monitors/Displays”.
                6. Under the “Arrangement” tab you can orient how the two monitors interact with one another. For example, you can select which monitor will be the dominant monitor which will display the dock and the primary opening of applications.

There are a few videos on YouTube which demonstrate the process, but I'm not sure if your specific model is covered.

Mervyn

Comment

Originally posted by jbastin View Post
                  The Early 2008 iMac has a mini-DVI port to connect a display.

from MacTracker:
                  Display
                  1 - Mini-DVI (DVI, VGA, Composite and S-video with adapter)

You can adapt the mini-DVI connector to any current display connection to use a second display with your iMac.

Hope this helps.
                  Thanks - Is the port to the right in my attachment the one you are referencing? I've never plugged anything into it in the 7 years I've owned this unit - mostly from never having a need plus the lack of knowledge! If teh attachemnt doesn't show - can you advise how to include same.
                  Last edited by sgtbob; 08 July 2015, 04:42 PM. Reason: added information

Comment

Working...
                  X