Fields and GEDCOM tags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fields and GEDCOM tags

I've been spending a lot of time preparing for my genealogy do-over (or go-over in my case). I just added a ton of fields to help me post as much information from my sources as I can glean. I also added and changed a lot of GEDCOM tags for export (though I love that I can customize fields and info for narrative reports internally within Reunion!).

The trend with the GEDCOM standard seems to be towards consolidation of tags. No matter, Reunion lets us create standard fields! For example, I kept the land sale and land purchase fields and added a more generic "property" one but changed all of the GEDCOM tags to PROP to standardize them for sharing.

For civil union, I changed the tag to the GEDCOM standard MARC (for marriage contract, which I added) and added the other standard marriage ones missing from the default: Marriage Bann (MARB), Marriage Contract (MARC) and Marriage Settlement (MARS). I added an underscore to _SEPA since separation isn't (yet) a recognized standard one. All non-standard ones need and underscore before them so I scrolled through and added them all--and clicked the "export as even" for most of them just in case the importing program is stupid. Weirdly to me, all of the non-standard source tags in Reunion seem to already have the underscore preceding them.

Reunion has a wealth of "description" fields which kind of overwhelms me, so I consolidated mine to a single "description" field with the standard recognized DSCR GEDCOM tag (the default one is wrong) and got rid of eye color, hair color, race, skin color, and weight.

I added some others that were dropped from GEDCOM standards: Godparent, Legatee, and Witness, but with an underscore. I also added Bondsman and Neighbor with the underscore. Ideally Reunion will be able to link them soon to all other people with the same event for cluster research.

I was misusing ALIA which, as I understand it, is for more formal names and used as a way to link to someone else who might be the same person, not just for other names of the same person. I added the standard nickname (NICK) for those. I also added ROLE, FACT (for more generic misc ones), caste (CAST: The name of an individual's rank or status in society, based on racial or religious differences, or differences in wealth, inherited rank, profession, occupation, etc.), etc.

For The Beyond Kin Project, I added Enslaved Person (EP) and Slave Holder too.

I added a _DNA note and fact.

This way I get the beauty of Reunion custom fields and easier narrative reports with the better sharing of info with others not using Reunion.

Hopefully I have everything set now to go forward with the go-over, and hopefully this might help someone else too.
    Last edited by B Jansen; 15 June 2021, 12:12 AM.
    Bradley Jansen
    OS 10.15.2 on a MacBook Pro using Reunion 12 and ReunionTouch 1.0.9

Re: Fields and GEDCOM tags

I think this is great and although I am not doing a do-over/go-over (well, maybe I am... lol) I am interested in updating the gedcom tags. It seems to me that there are many that could be consolidated (as you pointed out, Bradley) and some just brought into the 21st century. I don't claim to be an expert about this, not at all, but I can see the benefit of a do-over for the gedcom tags.
    2020 M1 MBP, iPhoneXS, iPad Air 3

My Ancestry ID is: mrstucci1972

My GEDmatch is A353507. I am also on 23andMe, FTDNA and MyHeritage.

Comment

List of all of the GEDCOM tags that were used in each standard here (scroll down):

Bradley Jansen

Comment

Originally posted by B Jansen View Post
        List of all of the GEDCOM tags that were used in each standard here (scroll down):

https://www.tamurajones.net/GEDCOMTags.xhtml
        Ah Bradley, that looks like it might be the way out of my problem. I've used Reunion for many years and created lots of new fields never worrying about (or even understanding) the implications of GEDCOM tags. Now, when I want to share some of my data base with a relation who is using an older version of FTM, I find that a lot is lost when I try to export a GEDCOM file for him to import. I see now that a lot of my fields - probably the ones that aren't exporting - don't have GEDCOM tags !

Two questions then: (1) If I ensure that every one of my fields has a valid GEDCOM 5.5 tag, will all my data be exported in a GEDCOM 5.5 file? (2) Are there limitations on which GEDCOM tags FTM will import? (That second question might be one for a FTM user to answer)

Cheers,
        Warwick

Comment

Originally posted by Warwick Dilley View Post

Ah Bradley, that looks like it might be the way out of my problem. I've used Reunion for many years and created lots of new fields never worrying about (or even understanding) the implications of GEDCOM tags. Now, when I want to share some of my data base with a relation who is using an older version of FTM, I find that a lot is lost when I try to export a GEDCOM file for him to import. I see now that a lot of my fields - probably the ones that aren't exporting - don't have GEDCOM tags !

Two questions then: (1) If I ensure that every one of my fields has a valid GEDCOM 5.5 tag, will all my data be exported in a GEDCOM 5.5 file? (2) Are there limitations on which GEDCOM tags FTM will import? (That second question might be one for a FTM user to answer)

Cheers,
          Warwick
          Sorry for the years-long delay, just now seeing this. Valid GEDCOM tags will certainly help. If it's not a standard tag, put an underscore in front (_TAG). Also 5.5.1 was a draft for a long time, but was made official. Now more recently, 7.0.1 is out.

I can't speak to FTM, sorry.
          Bradley Jansen

Comment

Reunion fields with GEDCOM tags that are not standard and need an underscore in front:

Person events
            Citizenship
            Employment
            Honors
            Land Purchase

Person facts
            Degree
            Description
            (Descendants)
            Eye color
            Hair color
            Height
            Hobbies
            Honors
            Married Name
            Namesake
            Race
            Reference #
            Religious Name
            Skin color
            Weight

Family
            Civil Union
            Common Law
            Domestic Partnership
            Separation
            Unmarried

Bradley Jansen

Comment

These are missing in Reunion and could/should be added.
              DSCR real tag for Description, should be used for eyes, hair, height, race, weight
              FAX
              FONE
              LEGA
              MARB
              MARC
              MARL
              MARS
              NICK
              VERS
              PROP Use in place of PURC
              PUBL

ROLES (also add underscore)
              WITN witness
              CLERGY
              FRIEND
              GODP godparent
              NGHBR neighbor
              Bradley Jansen

Comment

Sources
                Book/Periodical Name (or just replace PERI with Title TITL)
                Compiler
                Contact Person
                Date Viewed
                Detail
                Edition
                Editor
                File Number
                Film Number
                Informant
                Interviewee
                Interviewer
                Issue
                Library/Archive (uses standard REPO, could change name to Repository)
                Locality (or change to Place)
                Location of Source
                Owner
                Quality of Data
                Recorder
                Register
                Series
                URL
                Volume Number
                Bradley Jansen

Comment

GEDCOM 7.0.1 is now out and official
                  https://gedcom.io/

https://github.com/FamilySearch/GEDCOM/releases/tag/v7.0.1

Tags
                  https://github.com/FamilySearch/GEDC...ted-files/tags
                  Last edited by B Jansen; 15 June 2021, 12:16 AM.
                  Bradley Jansen

Comment

Good explanation of some uses for date conventions here
                    Help:Conventions/Date,Conventions/Date,HowTo/Reorder marriages
                    Bradley Jansen

Comment

Grateful to all the posters here....this is what I want to learn and now I have a starting point...Thanks! Janet

Comment

Just curious, what happened to GEDCOM 5.5.5. It doesn't appear as a previous version when I click the link above.

I have a PDF of GEDCOM 5.5.5 specs that I have been reading, but I can't remember the site that I downloaded it from (maybe it was a link in someone's post here at ReunionTalk.)

Comment

Originally posted by Blaise A. Darveaux View Post

Just curious, what happened to GEDCOM 5.5.5. It doesn't appear as a previous version when I click the link above.

I have a PDF of GEDCOM 5.5.5 specs that I have been reading, but I can't remember the site that I downloaded it from (maybe it was a link in someone's post here at ReunionTalk.)
                          GEDCOM 5.5.5 Reviewed here
                          https://www.tamurajones.net/GEDCOM55...Revision.xhtml

I think the publication of 5.5.5 got them to finalize officially 5.5.1 and come out with 7 (now 7.0.1 which seems to have incorporated much of 5.5.5).

5.5.5 here
                          Bradley Jansen

Comment

Working...
                          X