Reunion to ancestry.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reunion to ancestry.com

I have been using Reunion for many years and love it. I want to GEDCOM my records to ancestry.com to make use of their DNA matching capabilities. I have copious notes in the notes section of Reunion. My question is what happens to those notes in the transfer to ancestry.com? Do they show up somewhere? Are there any hints for the transfer that any of you can share with me? Thanks

Re: Reunion to ancestry.com

Notes end up in Notes. To view them, one clicks on View Notes in the actions bar. That opens a sidebar displaying the notes. What is unknown to me is what happens to second and subsequent note fields if one has those. I only have the one Notes field that is here by default. I did not do anything special when I uploaded a GEDCOM to Ancestry.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Bob White; 01 August 2017, 12:58 AM.
    Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
    Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
    iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

Thanks, Bob, for the Ancestry tip. I did not realize one could view notes and comments from the Tree View like that. Very cool.

What might put Gini's mind at ease, though, is that when I tried the same thing with other trees--ones where I've been invited to be a Contributor--I could NOT see any Notes. I could see Comments, but no Notes. I also checked this out with random trees to see if it made a difference. Nope.

So it looks like a person can only see Notes if they are looking at their own tree. Also, displaying that cool Tools Bar seems to be available only on your own tree. It was not an option in other trees I viewed.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post
        Notes end up in Notes. To view them, one clicks on View Notes in the actions bar. That opens a sidebar displaying the notes. What is unknown to me is what happens to second and subsequent note fields if one has those. I only have the one Notes field that is here by default. I did not do anything special when I uploaded a GEDCOM to Ancestry.
        Additional Notes fields if they are Custom Notes Fields defined in Reunion with their own GEDCOM tag are not handled well - this is from my great great grandfather.

_HAM = Here a Name but linked as a Note to the Marriage Record
        _MVR = Marriage Vital Record Transcript
        _OBT = Obituary
        _WIL = Will
        _EMI = Emigration
        _HAN = Here a Name

You can see what would have been in those fields on his page in my TNG site (which does handle all of my custom Reunion fields no problem) here

Roger
        Attached Files
        Last edited by theKiwi; 02 August 2017, 06:59 AM.
        Roger Moffat
        http://lisaandroger.com/genealogy/
        http://genealogy.clanmoffat.org/

Comment

"So it looks like a person can only see Notes if they are looking at their own tree. Also, displaying that cool Tools Bar seems to be available only on your own tree. It was not an option in other trees I viewed."

This is correct, by design. Your Notes are always private on ancestry - think of them as your own work space. Comments can be viewed by others who have permission to view your tree - if a Public tree, that means everyone who is registered on ancestry.

Comment

Working...
          X