Reunion 11 images & docs not viewing in ReunionTouch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reunion 11 images & docs not viewing in ReunionTouch

I just recently switched to ReunionTouch and had no problems that I am aware of. I moved a copy of my family file to DropBox and was satisfied that ReunionTouch was displaying all information.

Yesterday, for the 1st time since I installed ReunionTouch, I added some new sources and attached some very small obit pictures (200x200 pixels) to two individuals. I copied the new family file to DropBox and the thumbnails for all images (.jpg) and a document (.pdf) are not showing up in ReunionTouch.

All the data I added is there. So, I know I am opening the correct family file.

I have:
    •Restarted ReunionTouch
    •Recopied the family file to DropBox and downloaded in ReunionTouch
    •Rebuilt thumbnails and recopied to DropBox and downloaded in ReunionTouch

When I select thumbnails in Reunion touch and select current family it displays a red image with the approximate size of the original photo.

When I look at the images and pdf in sources, the Media section has the file names correct but displays nothing. It seems any multimedia additions I am making in sources and multimedia are not making their way to ReunionTouch.

When I open the Dropbox version of the family file on my iMac it displays all the sources and images correctly.

The sharing status in ReunionTouch is correctly indicating the update time with all my changes. ReunionTouch says it is version 1.0.6

Any ideas?

Vince
    Last edited by vsalupo; 24 January 2018, 09:53 AM. Reason: Add my name
    Researching Salupo, Maenza, Cancelliere, Stefancin
    Locations: Alcara Li Fusi & Tortorici, Sicily

Re: Reunion 11 images & docs not viewing in ReunionTouch

Originally posted by vsalupo View Post
    .......I copied the new family file to DropBox and the thumbnails for all images (.jpg) and a document (.pdf) are not showing up in ReunionTouch.........
    Synching is automatic. You do not need to send a new copy to Dropbox. In fact, the copying may be the root of your problem. Is there now more than one copy of the family file in the Dropbox folder?
    Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
    Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
    iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

I move a copy to dropbox because I use a separate file for my normal use in reunion. My dropbox file is a copy. When I make changes I have to copy the family file to dropbox. I’m not sure what prompts reunion to resync on my phone so I reselect “Download family file from Dropbox” when I open the app.

How would replacing the file in my Mac Dropbox folder affect syncing new multimedia? I do drop the file with the same name. So, my Mac is overwriting the current file.

Comment

I move a copy to dropbox because I use a separate file for my normal use in reunion. My dropbox file is a copy. When I make changes I have to copy the family file to dropbox. I’m not sure what prompts reunion to resync on my phone so I reselect “Download family file from Dropbox” when I open the app.

How would replacing the file in my Mac Dropbox folder affect syncing new multimedia? I do drop the file with the same name. So, my Mac is overwriting the current file.
        I'm with you -- my Dropbox file is a copy of the real file. I know how Dropbox works, and I prefer to use it this way. That said, I haven't done anything with Reunion in two years, so I can't do any more than say "you aren't alone".

Comment

I copied the new family file to DropBox and the thumbnails for all images (.jpg) and a document (.pdf) are not showing up in ReunionTouch.
          It sounds to me like you need to allow more time for the family file (and images) to be uploaded to Dropbox and then some more time for your family file to be downloaded to ReunionTouch.

Depending on the size of your family file (and the number of images) copying your family file to Dropbox could present quite a load/delay on the network as all the pieces of the family file are uploaded to the Dropbox cloud. It is not a bad idea to wait for your family file to finish uploading to Dropbox before downloading it to ReunionTouch.

BTW: Get Info in the ReunionTouch Tools popover will give you a count of the thumbnails in the family file.
          Gregg Witmer
          Leister Productions, Inc.

Comment

Originally posted by baddorfdeb View Post
            I'm with you -- my Dropbox file is a copy of the real file. I know how Dropbox works, and I prefer to use it this way. That said, I haven't done anything with Reunion in two years, so I can't do any more than say "you aren't alone".
            Negative. The Dropbox copy is the real file. If you are using the Dropbox scheme, that is where the real file lives and must live. Your having a copy elsewhere and making copies and moving them around is causing your problems.

My suspicion is that you are not aware of how Dropbox works. If you look on your Mac at Macintosh HD > Users > YourName, you will find a folder named Dropbox. When you move any item to Dropbox, what you are really doing is moving the item to this Dropbox folder on your Mac. Subsequently, the item is copied automatically to your account on the Dropbox server. That is what makes it available to other devices. When you make changes from those other devices, Dropbox makes the changes to the real file in the local Dropbox folder on your Mac.

So, as you can see, the real copy is living on your Mac and must be in the local Dropbox folder. Having other copies in places other than the local Dropbox folder is causing the mess.

BTW: iCloud works pretty much the same way. Look locally for Macintosh HD > Users > YourName > Library > Mobile Documents.

Comment

Exactly. I *know* that's how it works. I prefer to keep my working copies (of lots of documents) elsewhere on my computer. When I have a version I want to disseminate (to my phone, or to my other mac) I option-drag a copy to the DropBox folder which is under my home folder. Now there are two copies of it on my mac. I *like* it that way.

And yes, then I allow plenty of time for Dropbox to upload the new info, and time on the other computer/phone for it to download. It has worked flawlessly for years.

No, I am not having any Reunion problems. (Original poster is, however.)

[ I also have 3 copies of full-disk-backups, in addition to my Time Machine backup. I do this for my living. ]

Actually, I do this *because* I do not want changes to propagate from other devices. If I hand my phone to someone, to show them a Reunion page, I want no possibility of them deleting my data. So the "REAL" copy lives somewhere other than the DropBox folder. Even if they deleted something on my phone's copy, it doesn't affect my REAL copy.
              Last edited by baddorfdeb; 26 January 2018, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob White View Post

So, as you can see, the real copy is living on your Mac and must be in the local Dropbox folder. Having other copies in places other than the local Dropbox folder is causing the mess.

BTW: iCloud works pretty much the same way. Look locally for Macintosh HD > Users > YourName > Library > Mobile Documents.
                The easiest way to open the iCloud folder is from the Finder sidebar, after making sure that the Finder preferences are set up to allow this.

Alternatively, perhaps navigate to Mobile Documents and make an alias of the iCloud folder, and drag it to your Uasr folder? (I have not tried this and it may not work.)

I cannot understand why Apple choose to hide the folder away, when Dropbox, OneDrive and Google Drive make theirs easily accessible.

Comment

Originally posted by John Hill View Post
                  The easiest way to open the iCloud folder is from the Finder sidebar, after making sure that the Finder preferences are set up to allow this.........
                  Of course and that is how I open it 99% of the time. I was only pointing out where it lives.

baddorfdeb: My apologies. I had meant to quote the other person who started this thread.

On the positive side, hopefully a few users learned something about how synching works.

Comment

...Yesterday, for the 1st time since I installed ReunionTouch, I added some new sources and attached some very small obit pictures (200x200 pixels) to two individuals. I copied the new family file to DropBox and the thumbnails for all images (.jpg) and a document (.pdf) are not showing up in ReunionTouch...
                    I was able to fix my problem with new images not being displayed. I deleted the family file on my iPhone and reloaded it from Dropbox. All images are there.

I haven’t tried to add a new image yet to see if the problem recurs. I will update this post if the problem continues.

Vince

Comment

Working...
                    X