Family View Preferences revert feature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Family View Preferences revert feature

This is regarding one of the new features in Reunion 12, which was described as follows on leisterpro.com :
    "Like most modern Mac apps, Reunion 12 has a cleaner "flatter" appearance (buttons, lists, and such). However, if you prefer the more "rounded" look of Reunion 11 and earlier versions, there's a button in the Family View Preferences that will revert to the older appearance."

I do not see a button in the Family View Preferences window that looks like it is for that purpose. Can somebody point it out to me? I see a "Restore defaults" button but I don't think that is what I want (that button was there in Reunion 11).

Environment: Reunion 12.0; macOS 10.13.2
    Bruce Winton Christopher
    Environment: Reunion 14 build 240325; macOS 10.15.7
    bruce@bwchristopher.com

Re: Family View Preferences revert feature

Look for a checkbox called "More depth" at the bottom of the "Colors" section of the miscellaneous Family View Preferences.
    Brad Mohr
    https://bradandkathy.com/genealogy/

Comment

Originally posted by bmohr View Post
      Look for a checkbox called "More depth" at the bottom of the "Colors" section of the miscellaneous Family View Preferences.
      Thank you, Brad, for this answer. That does work, restoring the "rounded" Reunion 11 look of the person buttons etc. But this means the published description of this new feature was misleading. It is a checkbox, not a button, not easy to find, and is certainly not named in any way that ties it to the description; hopefully they will revise the description.
      Bruce Winton Christopher
      Environment: Reunion 14 build 240325; macOS 10.15.7
      bruce@bwchristopher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Christopher View Post
        Thank you, Brad, for this answer. That does work, restoring the "rounded" Reunion 11 look of the person buttons etc. But this means the published description of this new feature was misleading. It is a checkbox, not a button, not easy to find, and is certainly not named in any way that ties it to the description; hopefully they will revise the description.
        True. What's more, this setting appears in the Family View Preferences, but controls the appearance of lists throughout the application. Ditto for the "Sex colors" settings. You can change the list color mode in the General Preferences, but the actual list colors are in the Family View Preferences. Come to think of it, the whole "Miscellaneous" section probably belongs in a separate "Appearance" Preference panel, along with the "List color mode" and "Font for lists and data entry" that are currently in the General Prefs.

A paragraph very similar to the one you quoted does appear in the manual, though, so searching for "flatter" or "rounded" or "modern mac apps" would lead you to the right checkbox. I would suggest that "More depth" is a pretty cryptic name for this setting, anyway. Perhaps something like "Draw buttons and lists with a 3D gradient" or "Use 3D appearance for buttons and lists" would be better. (Mac old-timers may remember the setting in the old Eudora mail client: "Waste cycles drawing trendy 3D junk." )
        Brad Mohr

Comment

Thanks! I also was looking for that. Now how do I deal with the flat icon?
          Attached Files

Comment

You can cut-and-paste the old Reunion 11 icon onto Reunion 12. In the Finder, "Get Info" on both versions of the app. In the Reunion 11 info window, click on the little icon in the upper left of the window and copy (Edit -> Copy or command-C). Click on the icon in the Reunion 12 info window and paste (Edit -> Paste or Command-V).

Note that you'll have to do this again every time you update to a new build of Reunion 12. If you don't want to keep Reunion 11 around just for this, you can paste the R11 icon onto a folder (or any other file) to keep around just for cutting-and-pasting.
            Brad Mohr

Comment

That is how to do it and that is fine. However, one wonders if Leister has copyright or similar on the icon. Just not wanting to step on toes is my reason to bring this up.
              Bob White, Mac Nut Since 1985, Reunion Nut Since 1991
              Jenanyan, Barnes, White, Duncan, Dunning, Luce, Hedge and more
              iMac/MacBookAir M1 - iPhonePro/iPadPro - Reunion13 & RT

Comment

The "More Depth" checkbox put the person buttons back to the previous look, thanks very much for that.

Michael mentions the flatter app icon, but I commonly don't see that icon except when I'm clicking it in the Dock to start Reunion. What *really* bothers me is the "flatter" look icons in the lists on the left of the display in the sidebar (Reunion is not alone in this, these miserable icons are appearing in all the apps in the newer systems). Those icons are even more attention-grabbing and annoying than the person buttons were.

*Those* are where I would really like to see a choice to put their appearance back to the 3D look we previously had (/rant)
                John Bastin
                jbastin1@me.com
                Researching: Bastin, Decker, Brake, Perry, Schmid, Sheppard, Matty, Fox, Orr, Eicher
                Mac OS X 10.13.4, Reunion 12.0 (Build 180502) 64-bit

Comment

Yes, you're right.

Comment

I don't think this is completely on topic but I'm experiencing a problem in Reunion 12 where my Notes section on Family View is only 1 line. I have gone back and resized it more than once under Family View Preferences but it continues to be such a small space that I can't even completely read the first entry. This is not how I'm used to having my Notes view set-up.When I click on notes, the space is normal and the entries are all there. It's just looking at it on the Family View that is nearly useless.

Comment

Originally posted by Fairweather View Post
                      I don't think this is completely on topic but I'm experiencing a problem in Reunion 12 where my Notes section on Family View is only 1 line. I have gone back and resized it more than once under Family View Preferences but it continues to be such a small space that I can't even completely read the first entry. This is not how I'm used to having my Notes view set-up.When I click on notes, the space is normal and the entries are all there. It's just looking at it on the Family View that is nearly useless.
                      I think if you place your curser just to the right/left side of the "+ children" button in the centre of the Family View page, you will get a "line with up/down arrows". When that appears, hold it and drag it down and the whole of the page will enlarge allowing your Notes section to expand and to see a lot more of your notes. This also helps when a couple had so many children that you can't always see all their names.

Alan
                      iMac 27" (late 2015) 2TB, 24GB Ram, (Monterey 12.3.1) iPad Pro 12.9" 256GB (Ios 14.4), iPhone 6S+ 128GB (Ios 14.4), Reunion 13,

Comment

Working...
                      X