Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Photo Scanner Experience?

Originally posted by Kim View Post
    I looked at the V600, but the difference in price between that one and my V600 was significant, and I didn't think the extra features would be used enough to justify the extra expense. I haven't really scanned negatives or slides yet. If I ever get finished with the prints I'll see how the V600 handles negatives.
    Perhaps you compared V700 with V600? I have an Epson V500 Photo. I think it is an earlier model than the V550 and V600 but similar. In any case, it does an excellent job with all three-- prints, slides and negatives.

I have several hundred prints (and their 116 negatives) that came from my father who used an old Kodak box camera beginning in the 1920s up to 1960 when he passed. I scan prints at 600dpi as I've found that a higher dpi doesn't seem to enhance anything other than defects. At first, I also scanned negatives at 600dpi but found the resulting images much better than the prints. So I tried 1200dpi with the negatives and got even better results. Some negatives are even better at 2400dpi. I've settled on 600dpi for prints and 1200dpi for negatives as the results are acceptable to me. Any possible improvements just aren't worth the time and energy fiddling around with various other settings.

In addition to the items mentioned above I have hundreds more prints/negatives plus several thousand slides. The V500 also does a very good job with slides using the 'holders' that enable scanning several at a time. A dedicated slide scanner might be faster. But it means buying another piece of equipment that costs more than a V500 and probably won't make better scans unless it is very expensive.
    John McGee Leggett, Jr.
    Late 2014 MacMini, MacOS Mojave 10.14.3, Reunion 12, Safari 12.0.3
    Leggett Booth McGee King Coulter Morton Ashley Douglas Ranard Maners

Comment

Originally posted by John M. Leggett View Post
      Perhaps you compared V700 with V600? I have an Epson V500 Photo. I think it is an earlier model than the V550 and V600 but similar. In any case, it does an excellent job with all three-- prints, slides and negatives.
      Haha...yes. I was comparing the V700 to the V600. The statement made no sense with the typo!
      Researching DEBEE, FRERICHS/FREDERICKS, HAHNENENKAMP, JANCO, KOLK, PETRINI, WEISS

http://familytreesandbranches.weebly.com
      http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.....com/~ilrootz/

Comment

I kinda lusted after the V700 for a while but it was 3x the price of the V600. I didn't have any large format negs and liquid mount transparencies didn't excite me much. :-) But my hero, Maggie Taylor, had a V700 so I thought I wanted one. But settled on the V600 and I've been happy with it.

Comment

Something worth mentioning is that if you have not scanned negs before and are using 35mm or smaller any amount of effort you make in cleaning the negs before scanning will save a huge amount of work.

Dust is a major menace with small formats, as is dirt in general. Negs can be washed [don't make the water too hot] and should dry without drying marks if you put a little washing up liquid in the bath to reduce surface tension.

Cheers, Colin

Comment

Am considering purchasing a scanner capable of slide scanning. I note the Epson V600 has software included but this is not compatible with a Mac computer. How did you get around this as assume everyone using Reunion uses a Mac? Currently running 10.6.8 and hoping to upgrade to a new laptop within twelve months.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronte Gould View Post
              Am considering purchasing a scanner capable of slide scanning. I note the Epson V600 has software included but this is not compatible with a Mac computer. How did you get around this as assume everyone using Reunion uses a Mac? Currently running 10.6.8 and hoping to upgrade to a new laptop within twelve months.
              Good news for you. I've had my V600 for less than a week (meaning the accompanying disk full of software had the latest versions). The scanner is working with an aged iMac that runs OS X v. 10.6.8. The V600's scanning/copying functions are running without a hitch.

The disk says it runs with a variety of Windows installations and " . . . OS X 10.6.8 - 10.10.x" and includes (as listed on the disk): Epson Scan, ABBY FineReader, Arcsoft PhotoStudio, and Easy Photo Scan. I've only used Epson Scan since I either own or don't need the other three.

I don't think you'll have a problem with compatibility. Consider keeping that "old" laptop as a dedicated Mac for your scanning project.

For the benefit of followers of this thread: my decision to purchase resulted from the help and advice from forum members. The V600 has been extremely easy to use, and the image quality easily justifies its price. In a test session of a few hours, I scanned a variety of old prints, old negatives (color as well as B&W [35mm and 120]), and copied 70 year old slides that were precious -- although poorly exposed. In all cases, the resulting image files (all tiffs and of varying resolutions) have exceeded my expectations. I've used Epson Scan for the capture and Lightroom for clean-up and cataloging. Scanning an orange Kodacolor negative that's been knocking around for decades, its print (if any) lost forever, and seeing a sharp, crisp color image pop up on one's monitor is truly a kick!

Until I run a side by side test of copying a slide of more recent vintage and high quality, I won't be able to say the scanner's end _slide_ product is on a par with images made from my former lash-up using a Nikon DSLR with an expensive macro lens, a tripod, and an assortment of ancillary gear. Nothing I've seen so far suggests the V600 won't be as good or exceed my results there. And, a big plus is the ease of use and speed I've seen. I won't be going back.

The help received from forum members in getting to this point has been put to good use. Thanks very much to all who shared their experiences with me.

Comment

I have been using the Epson V600 for several years now through several OS X upgrades and in my view, it is a capable and adequate scanner. Epson's support web site posts several versions of its application software for this scanner depending on your OS X version. My primary complaint is that the Epson software team is not very Mac proficient. It is quite klutzy compared to other professional Apple apps. I have used this scanner to copy several thousand slides, old B&W negatives and photos, documents and many color prints as well. I am very satisfied with the resulting images. I do wish there was a way to scan my library of old family large format glass plate negatives with this scanner.
                This scanner provides a 35mm slide mask that allows you to scan up to four slides in one pass which does save a little bit of time and effort.
                Last edited by bringel; 04 October 2016, 04:51 PM. Reason: Add a feature.

Comment

Originally posted by Terry Smith View Post
                  Good news for you. I've had my V600 for less than a week (meaning the accompanying disk full of software had the latest versions). The scanner is working with an aged iMac that runs OS X v. 10.6.8. The V600's scanning/copying functions are running without a hitch.
                  Thank you for your response and useful information. Much appreciated.

Comment

I have an Epson V500 Photo scanner and have just inherited a bunch of photos slides and documents. This will give me the chance to test the scanners capabilities especially with slides and negatives.

Part of this collection are 8 1/2 X 14" legal documents. The scanner only goes up to 8 1/2" X 11.

Any tricks on how to use the scanner to capture these legal size documents?
                    ``````````````````````````````
                    Grant

Comment

Originally posted by gathompson56 View Post
                      I have an Epson V500 Photo scanner and have just inherited a bunch of photos slides and documents. This will give me the chance to test the scanners capabilities especially with slides and negatives.

Part of this collection are 8 1/2 X 14" legal documents. The scanner only goes up to 8 1/2" X 11.

Any tricks on how to use the scanner to capture these legal size documents?
                      You could do 2 scans and then use photo editing software to merge the scans. Or just keep it as 2 separate pages. Or just use a scanner app on your phone. I use Scanner Pro by Readdle.
                      Researching DEBEE, FRERICHS/FREDERICKS, HAHNENENKAMP, JANCO, KOLK, PETRINI, WEISS

Comment

Originally posted by Kim View Post
                        You could do 2 scans and then use photo editing software to merge the scans. Or just keep it as 2 separate pages. Or just use a scanner app on your phone. I use Scanner Pro by Readdle.
                        Thanks Kim. I am going to give Scanner Pro a try. The cut and paste methodology is just a little clunky.
                        Grant

Comment

I use PhotoShop and it has a photo merge tool that I use for larger items. (PhotoShop Elements has the tool also.) I did a panorama of the Monterey Presidio taken in 1930 that was 3 feet long and 8 inches tall in several overlapping 600 dpi scans and the photo merge tool put them together perfectly in a matter of seconds. If you're interested you can see the end result here:

Comment

W/re flatbed scanning of slides, I did a little comparison of a 1940s Kodachrome slide my dad had on a Wolverine dedicated slide scanner and my Epson V600. The difference was substantial. The Wolverine was about the same price as the Epson ($200) but the results from it were higher in contrast, oversaturated (my mom and dad look like Oompa Loompas), and the shadows were purple. The clarity of detail was better in the Epson as well. I would assume the results would be similar with JumbL and ION slide scanners. I have not copied any slides with a camera myself, but my guess is, if you eventually rescan some of the slides you copied with your lashed up camera method, you're going to see an improvement.

Here's a side by side - my mom and dad at Balboa in 1947 right after they were married. (I was just a sparkle in my dad's eye at the time.)

Don
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by donworth; 13 August 2017, 12:51 PM. Reason: Insert missing words

Comment

Originally posted by donworth View Post
                              I use PhotoShop and it has a photo merge tool that I use for larger items. (PhotoShop Elements has the tool also.) I did a panorama of the Monterey Presidio taken in 1930 that was 3 feet long and 8 inches tall in several overlapping 600 dpi scans and the photo merge tool put them together perfectly in a matter of seconds. If you're interested you can see the end result here:

http://www.bishir.org/misc/MonterreyReduced.jpg
                              Nice job Don. I have Lightroom 6 which I think also builds panoramas, which I have yet to try.

But my initial test of ScannerPro was very positive. It very quickly scans, allows for automatic or manual adjustments, and loads to iCloud or DropBox from which I can move to my directories on my hard drive.
                              Grant

Comment

Originally posted by donworth View Post

http://www.bishir.org/misc/MonterreyReduced.jpg
                                I would probably also use my scanner a do a photo merge for a large photo, but I was assuming we were talking about a document. At least for me, I don't worry about colors in a document the way I do with a photo, and Scanner Pro is much easier than trying to merge pages.

Comment

Working...
                                X