Can I Substitute Events in Family View?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I Substitute Events in Family View?

I wish my Family View to show baptism dates when I do not have a birth date.

I understand this is possible for reports (Preferences > Field Preferences) but I want the bap/bur date to show in my Family View / My View when I do not have birth/death dates.

I have tried Family View > My View (dropdown) > Family View Preferences where I can stipulate which fields go into the couple and parent buttons, but it does not appear possible to have a substitute option (and I don't wish to have both birth and baptism).

Does anyone know if this is possible?

Many thanks,
    Liz

Re: Can I Substitute Events in Family View?

This is not the solution you asked for, but a work-around I use is that when I have only a baptism date, I fill in the Birthdate field with "abt April 1832" (but with whatever the actual year of the baptism is, obviously). In the Memo part of the Birthdate field, I put "derived from Baptism date."

This isn't a perfect solution, since some people are not baptized within days or months (or even years) of their birth, as we all know. But, a large majority are, and for some time periods and in some countries (early Germany, for example), you know that every effort was made to baptize the child within days, if not hours, of his/her birth.

By doing this, I at least have a year that shows up on the Person card, and is especially helpful when trying to put siblings in birth order.

Sorry if this is so obvious that you already thought of this and rejected the idea, but just in case....

Comment

Thanks so much Susan, as obvious and easy as that is, I haven't been doing that! Such a little change but it will be very helpful.
      Thanks heaps again,
      Elizabeth

Comment

Originally posted by EM O'Connell View Post
        Thanks so much Susan, as obvious and easy as that is, I haven't been doing that! Such a little change but it will be very helpful.
        Thanks heaps again,
        Elizabeth
        Hi Liz,

I do exactly the same as Susan with the exception I don't put anything in the "memo" field.
        I just leave a year, or "not known" or leave it blank using just the bapt. date. in the bapt. column.

Alan
        iMac 27" (late 2015) 2TB, 24GB Ram, (Monterey 12.3.1) iPad Pro 12.9" 256GB (Ios 14.4), iPhone 6S+ 128GB (Ios 14.4), Reunion 13,

Comment

Working...
        X